RadioBanter

-   -   long wire antenna question (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/35176-long-wire-antenna-question.html)

lethal January 21st 04 10:01 PM

long wire antenna question

a quick question...newbie to HF so please be gentle.

a 25 mtr wire to go into a 12 ( ish ) mtr garden. Is it possible to double the wire back on itself so it extends out 12 & half
mtrs then loops round and back up 12 & half mtrs ?

just been told this is perfectly acceptable ( it's the wire length that's important rather than how it's installed ) but i seem
think i've been told this is a no no.

would the above installation effect performance ?

looking forward to advice

--

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************
i want to die peacefully in my sleep , same as my grandad - not like his passengers,all screaming and shouting

Robert Maskill January 21st 04 11:20 PM

lethal wrote:

a quick question...newbie to HF so please be gentle.

a 25 mtr wire to go into a 12 ( ish ) mtr garden. Is it possible to double the wire back on itself so it extends out 12 & half
mtrs then loops round and back up 12 & half mtrs ?

just been told this is perfectly acceptable ( it's the wire length that's important rather than how it's installed ) but i seem
think i've been told this is a no no.

would the above installation effect performance ?

looking forward to advice

Bends should not be less than 90deg or the wires will tend to cancel out....

End fed might not be the best option, what do you want to listen to?
--
Robert Maskill G4PYR
Peterborough Cambridgeshire

Frank January 22nd 04 12:19 AM

lethal ...

^ a 25 mtr wire to go into a 12 ( ish ) mtr garden.

Heed Robert Maskill's message.

If your garden permits, have the wire slope upward at an angle so that the
horizontal distance is less than 12 ( ish ) mtr.

Frank

TMartin831 January 22nd 04 01:09 AM

Bends should not be less than 90deg or the wires will tend to cancel out....

Do you mean :bends should not be MORE than 90 degrees...?

lethal January 22nd 04 09:22 AM

Hi Rob,

half the problem i have is that i've no knowledge about long wires so this is all new territory.

my garden is just a general rectangular shape but just not too long. End fed is an easier installation as i can come out of the
loft with the feed then straight onto the supports....this would then give me decent height for the wire. I'm going to put up a
pole the other end of the garden.

I'm planning on general SWL. No particular freq.

I'm all for experimenting with numerous combinations etc but for now. i just want to get it all up and running , test the water
so to speak then take it from there.

thanks for replying anyway. Any other contributions gratefully received

regards
Simon

--

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************

Frank January 22nd 04 10:38 AM

TMartin831 ...
^ Bends should not be less than 90deg or the wires will tend to
^ cancel out....
^
^ Do you mean :bends should not be MORE than 90 degrees...?

The angle that is a result of the bend should not be less than 90 degrees,
with the wire constituting both sides of the angle.

Electrically, the signal should not make a turn greater than 90 degrees.

Frank

Brian Gregory [UK] January 22nd 04 12:33 PM

Just use the longest length you can without the wire turning back on
itself. A right angle in the aerial is fine but if it turns back on
itself you are unlikely to get any benifit from the extra length. 12
metres should be long enough unless you are using an insensitive
receiver or are in a remote interference free area.

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).

Robert Maskill January 22nd 04 12:40 PM

lethal wrote:
Hi Rob,

half the problem i have is that i've no knowledge about long wires so this is all new territory.

my garden is just a general rectangular shape but just not too long. End fed is an easier installation as i can come out of the
loft with the feed then straight onto the supports....this would then give me decent height for the wire. I'm going to put up a
pole the other end of the garden.

I'm planning on general SWL. No particular freq.

I'm all for experimenting with numerous combinations etc but for now. i just want to get it all up and running , test the water
so to speak then take it from there.

thanks for replying anyway. Any other contributions gratefully received

regards
Simon

My advice then is put up as much as you can, but don't make any bend
greater than 90deg

I have 1 130ft end fed up here with a loading coil on the end which I
use on 1.8MHz for transmitting, tuned against an earth. That works very
well. It's over the house and round 3 sides of the garden.

Have a play and experiment, that's part of the enjoyment....

Brian Gregory [UK] January 22nd 04 12:42 PM

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote in message
Just use the longest length you can without the wire turning back on
itself. A right angle in the aerial is fine but if it turns back on
itself you are unlikely to get any benifit from the extra length.

I should add the that - not only are you unlikely to get any benifit but
it'll probably be less effective on most frequencies.

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).

Jim Mac Donald January 23rd 04 11:43 AM

You may want to add an antenna tuner to the long wire ,I fully understand that this is a RECEIVE
ONLY application. The tuner will help even when just receiving!
Here's a source

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=MFJ+tuners&page=1&offset=0&res ult_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26amp%3BrequestId% 3D7e7f6f064acb4cd7%26amp%3BclickedItemRank%3D7%26a mp%3BuserQuery%3DMFJ%2Btuners%26amp%3BclickedItemU RN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mfjenterprises.com%252 F%26amp%3BinvocationType%3D-%26amp%3BfromPage%3DNSCPSuggestion&remove_url=http %3A%2F%2Fwww.mfjenterprises.com%2F

Jim