Old February 24th 04, 03:57 PM
Brad

yha I know I am going to get some loss on the coax but its always better to
have a antenna on the outside on the roof and the coax is LMR 400 ultra flex
not belden opus I thought it was belden but there the same any ways
I still wanted to know if there was any good scanner base antennas out there
I have the coax taking care of now I just need a base antenna that was my
original question before coax came up

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message
While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', "Woolridge"
scribbled:

that's still alot though man.

To get any better, you'd have to use hardline.

VERY hard to work with, and $2 a foot or more.

NOT a hobbyist kind of project.

To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity....

Old February 24th 04, 06:03 PM
Volker Tonn

Ralph Mowery schrieb:

"Woolridge" wrote in message

that's still alot though man.

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message
. ..

While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', "Bill Crocker"
scribbled:

I think you would loose about 99% of your signal, @ 800MHz, though 100'

of

9913.

Say WHAT??

9913 has less than 4db loss at 800mhz.

That means less than 60% loss, NOT 99%!

While you loose about 60% of the signal, you gain much more than that by
getting an antenna outside and up in the air. The 4 db is not relally as
much as it seems . It just looks like a big loss on paper. Take a
flashlight and point it at a wall at one step back, then take another step
back and see how little the light on the wall changes. This is about 3db of
differance. Take another step back and this will be somewhere between 4 and
5 db, not 6.

Doubling the distance will cause another 3dB of loss every time you
double(!) Very simple. A loss of 6dB will show one S-unit less on the
signal meter. And running 100' of RG213,AirComm+ and lowloss
TV-cable(75Ohm) to my antennas in the attic 6th floor is a GREAT
improvement in comparison to the same antennas 10' over ground in my 1st
floor appartment with less than 15' of cable to put the antenna outside
on the balcony.

odo

Old February 24th 04, 11:44 PM
Frank

Brad ...

^ ... I just need a base antenna ...

Start out by making a multi-element dipole antenna cut the legs of the dipole
according to the discussion in this group on vertical dipoles one pair for
each band that you want to listen to solder one end of one leg from each pair
together then solder those to the coax the final product will appear similar
to cat whiskers if you have any questions just ask here after you have used
this inexpensive antenna for a while you will know if you need to spend more
money on an expensive one

Frank

Old February 25th 04, 08:28 AM
Brad

ok here is the real spes for Times LMR 400 ultra flex

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/telecom/pdf/ultra.pdf