Old February 23rd 04, 05:29 AM
Brad

Default 800mhz

any body know of any good 800mhz base or mobile antennas for apco-25

Old February 23rd 04, 11:48 AM
Bill Crocker

It doesn't matter that it's APCO-25 (Digital). Any antenna that's good for
the frequency you're monitoring will work fine.

Bill Crocker

Old February 23rd 04, 03:38 PM
Brad

well I have a few antennas that are for 25-1300 mhz and they don't work for
squat the telescoping antenna works better but im looking for a base that
will receive 800 better than the radio shack base antenna "I have one of
them"

Old February 23rd 04, 11:28 PM
Bill Crocker

The problem is most likely the cable you're using. Coax cable has a lot of
loss at 800MHz. Depending on what cable you're using, and how long it is,
you might do better using the supplied telescoping whip antenna, on the
scanner itself.

What are you using, and at what length?

Bill Crocker

Old February 24th 04, 01:49 AM
Brad

the short piece of coax that im using now and for testing other antennas is
just RG8-X the gray kind its not cut in any wave length it was just a long
jumper I had, other wise I would use belden 9913 super flex in 100 ft when I
find a good antenna. Right now I have the telescoping antenna in the long
jumper zip tied to a lamp as a temporary location

Old February 24th 04, 02:08 AM
Bill Crocker

I think you would loose about 99% of your signal, @ 800MHz, though 100' of
9913. You might want to consider a mast mounted preamp.

Bill Crocker

Old February 23rd 04, 11:45 AM
Frank

Brad ...

^ any body know of any good 800mhz base or mobile antennas for apco-25

A three and a quarter inch piece of fat wire or copper tube.

Frank