RadioBanter

-   -   Uniden BC142XL Programing (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/35441-uniden-bc142xl-programing.html)

NetCruzer March 7th 04 09:04 AM

Uniden BC142XL Programing

I've got one that needs programed but I have no manual for it. I need
to know how many frequencies it has and how to program frequences in.
Thanks.

Fred March 7th 04 02:37 PM

"NetCruzer" wrote in message
om...
I've got one that needs programed but I have no manual for it. I need
to know how many frequencies it has and how to program frequences in.
Thanks.

This radio has 10 scan channels plus weather search. 29-54, 136-174, and
406-412. Scan delay, one priority, channel lockout. No cellular, no
aircraft.

Turn it on.
Push the "manual" button to stop it from scanning.
Push numeral 1, then push "manual" again. This should leave you on channel
one.
Using the keypad enter the frequency you want to monitor, then push "enter"
or "E"
Push "manual" to step to channel number two. Enter the frequency. Push
"enter." Push "manual" to step to channel three.
Repeat this process until all the channels are full, or you've run out of
frequencies to enter.

Adjust the squelch control until the hiss goes away, then just a tiny bit
more in the same direction.

Push "scan" to start automatically scanning the frequencies. The radio will
stop when it hears someone talking, then resume scanning two seconds after
the conversation has stopped.

NetCruzer March 7th 04 09:16 PM

"Fred" wrote in message ...
That should have read: "and 406-512"

"Fred" wrote in message
"NetCruzer" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks fred. Anyway to get more frequences out of this thing? possably
more channels?

Fred March 7th 04 09:40 PM

Thanks fred. Anyway to get more frequences out of this thing? possably
more channels?

I do not believe there are any mods for this scanner.. pretty much what you
have is what you get.. a good scaner though..

Frank346 March 7th 04 10:44 PM

Thanks fred. Anyway to get more frequences out of this thing? possably
more channels?

The article below was found in a modification handbook. I do not own a BC142
and have not tried this mod. Proceed at your own risk.

UNIDEN BC142XL 16 CHANNEL MODIFICATION

The BC-142XL is actually the same scanner as the BC-145XL. It is
basically the same all the way down to the IC controller chip. Both scanners
employ the UC1116 (16 channel Integrated Controller Chip) for this purpose.
However the BC-142XLT is capable of only 10 channels, while the BC-145XL is
capable of 16 channels.

So if both units are basically the same, why the channel difference?
Answer: 1 small 1S1555 diode. This diode is located on the bottom of IC8
(UC1116), the controller chip. It is connected between pin 27 and pin 12
(the cathode connects to pin 27) of IC8. Once this diode has been removed
the unit will now accept and scan 16 channels instead of 10. (Note: This
modification will also work for the BC-140XL scanner.)

Carefully remove the housing screws and disassemble the unit. Remove the
five screws that secure the circuit board to the plastic case. Once this is
done carefully lift the circuit board enough to see the ground wire that
connects the circuit board ground to the metal plate attached to the bottom
of the plastic case and unsolder. Next unsolder the other ground wire that
is connected to the Antenna connector ground. Now the board should lift
out.

Next turn the board over and locate the metal shield cover soldered over
the IC8 board area. Carefully unsolder all five solder connections and lift
the plate off. You should now be able to see the small signal diode
connected between Pin 27 and Pin 12 of IC8. Remove this diode. Once you
have
removed this diode, replace the metal shield and resolder it back to the
circuit board. Reconnect the ground wires and reinstall the circuit board.
If all has gone well you will now be able program and scan 16 channels
instead of 10.

Fred March 8th 04 01:10 AM

If all has gone well you will now be able program and scan 16 channels
instead of 10.

Or you end up with a paper weight... that is WAY more than I would want to
do for the 6 extra channels.. you can buy 16 (or more) channel scanners on
ebay all day for ~$40.

Frank346 March 8th 04 02:04 AM

Where's your spirit of adventure :)

NetCruzer March 8th 04 02:10 AM

"Frank346" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks frank. I programmed emergency paramedics in and its pickin them up now.

Fred March 8th 04 02:50 AM

"Frank346" wrote in message
Where's your spirit of adventure :)

My soldering skills and "small parts" skills kind of kill the spirit, if I
tried that mod I can almost *guarantee* I will end up with a paper weight..
:-)