RadioBanter

-   -   Beware of Scanner Sales on Strongsignals.net (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/35677-beware-scanner-sales-strongsignals-net.html)

[email protected] April 26th 04 11:05 PM

Beware of Scanner Sales on Strongsignals.net

I just responded to a couple of the scanners being
sold on strongsignals.net and the people came back
with I will send you a money order, you cash it
and send me the change type scams.

A word to the wise.

Dwayne April 26th 04 11:27 PM

In article , says...
I just responded to a couple of the scanners being
sold on strongsignals.net and the people came back
with I will send you a money order, you cash it
and send me the change type scams.

A word to the wise.

What items did this happen on and what was the users name? Did you let
Rich know this or have you posted about this problem on SS board?

Andy in NJ April 27th 04 03:49 AM

"Harry" wrote in message
If you were responding as to buying a scanner, why would they be sending
you a money order? This seems backwards!

It's an internet scam. The scammer sends you a MO, which you cash. You keep
a percentage and send the some, then it turns out the MO is fake. From what
the original poster is saying, there are people posting scanners for sale in
order to collect email addresses to send these scams to.

Greasy Rider @ invalid.com April 27th 04 01:54 PM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:48:56 -0400, Mark etched the
phosphur particles on my screen with the following:

Soooo, how do you cash a fake MO ? As explained, you'd not have a problem
since you'd find out it's fake before any money changes hands.

There are some banks that now will not cash money orders or cashiers
checks drawn on other banks due to high incidence of counterfeits.

Mike Y May 3rd 04 08:58 PM

Soooo, how do you cash a fake MO ? As explained, you'd not have a problem
since you'd find out it's fake before any money changes hands.

You can't, that's the scam.

But scammer is relying on the fact that the bank will look at your account,
see that you have enough in your accounts to cover the bogus MO, and
give you the cash. Then when the bank realizes the MO is bad, it's YOUR
account that gets debited to cover the shortage...