RadioBanter

-   -   Crystal or synthesized? (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/63065-crystal-synthesized.html)

John Schneider January 29th 05 10:59 PM

Crystal or synthesized?

I know the answer seems rather obvious, but I was wondering if anyone might
be able to advise me as to which of the two receiving methods is the most
sensitive. Would a quality scanner with a frequency crystal (VHF)
outperform a digital scanner with all other things being equal (or at least
as equal as possible)?

John

Ralph Mowery January 29th 05 11:32 PM

It does not make any differance. The first RF amplifier stage usually sets
the basic sensitivity . As most of the crystal sets are much older than the
digital ones , the digital ones may be more sensitive due to beter
transistors and/or design in the rf stages. If the crystal set is tuned to
one frequency only, then it may be more sensitive than the digital one that
covers a very wide frequency range.