RadioBanter

-   -   Win95 can't read from my scanner (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/68478-win95-cant-read-my-scanner.html)

Jeff Seale April 6th 05 11:29 PM

Win95 can't read from my scanner

For some odd reason, Win95 can't read off my Pro95 but can write to it. I
have my Pro95 sharing a serial port with my Uniden BC780 via a Y-connector.
Could that be the issue? Should I be using a switch box to make the
connection instead of the Y-connector? BTW: my PC is an HP Pavilion running
Windows XP.

news.vif.com April 7th 05 12:09 AM

Jeff Seale wrote:
For some odd reason, Win95 can't read off my Pro95 but can write to it. I
have my Pro95 sharing a serial port with my Uniden BC780 via a Y-connector.
Could that be the issue? Should I be using a switch box to make the
connection instead of the Y-connector? BTW: my PC is an HP Pavilion running
Windows XP.

Try connecting it directly not thru anything. If thats the case then
coule be your Y-connector or switch box.

--
John Medica
System & Network administrator

Dave S April 7th 05 04:09 AM

"news.vif.com" wrote in message

Jeff Seale wrote:
For some odd reason, Win95 can't read off my Pro95 but can write to it.

have my Pro95 sharing a serial port with my Uniden BC780 via a

Y-connector.
Could that be the issue? Should I be using a switch box to make the
connection instead of the Y-connector? BTW: my PC is an HP Pavilion

running
Windows XP.

Try connecting it directly not thru anything. If thats the case then
coule be your Y-connector or switch box.
--
John Medica

Where did you get a serial Y cable from in the first place? Serial is not
intended to be connected to more than one device.

There are exceptions: e.g. Trunker has a special Y cable that allows two
radios to be controlled off different pins from a single serial port; some
Sun workstations have a special Y cable that bring com ports A and B out
from a single DB-9 socket. But note that these are not connecting the same
com port pins to two devices, they are simply separating the pins of a
single DB-9 sockets onto two DB-9s.

The electrics of serial ports do not allow for parallel connections, and
potentially could even damage the devices connected in parallel.

If you want to swap the serial between more than one device, use a switch
box.

Dave S

[email protected] April 7th 05 07:22 PM

And there are some simple "networking" diode matrixes
that we used to use with early AX25 TNCs. Three TNCs
connected by a "funky "Y" cable. When I first ran into one
I thought what idiot designed this. After seeing it in operation,
I realised that it was from from idiotic.

Terry