RadioBanter

-   -   A trip to Australia (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/73490-trip-australia.html)

Christopher O'Callaghan June 26th 05 09:25 PM

A trip to Australia

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned to
know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

Chris

jamoran June 27th 05 03:57 PM

should not be a problem, I take a couple of handheld scanners and a
large shortwave (sony-2010) with me when I travel all the time

I sometimes need to explain why the 2010 has two sets of batteries but
other than that no problems.... I also take a coil of wire and some
alligator clips with me to use as the shortwave antenna

[email protected] June 27th 05 04:21 PM

Christopher O'Callaghan wrote:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.

Must have relatives there or something Christopher. Why else would
someone want to sit on a plane for umpteen hours, just to get to
a God-forsaken place full of poisonous critters of all kinds on
land, and in the water, including probably the biggest Great White
Shark population on Earth. Oh, and the people walk around saying
"maeet" all the time, and their ancestors killed the natives for
sport. And that area between Perth and the east coast is
the absolute garden spot of the world. Swell place, Australia.

--
Cliff

Q June 28th 05 03:07 AM

"Christopher O'Callaghan" wrote in news:d9n2va
:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned

know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

Chris

Of course it's legal! Granted, once you get there, if you go into the
bush, it's gonna be deaf.

Took my AR8200 into the bush in 2001, (Flinder and Gawler ranges, SA) and
didn't get any comms, DUH!

I'd suggest bringing one of the new scanners with "near field" frequency
features. The pro 83 or pro 97 (in my stable) but don't know what steps
and bands are predominant in Oz.

Good luck!

Andy
http://tinyurl.com/bczgr

David Bennetts June 28th 05 07:05 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...

Christopher O'Callaghan wrote:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.

Must have relatives there or something Christopher. Why else would
someone want to sit on a plane for umpteen hours, just to get to
a God-forsaken place full of poisonous critters of all kinds on
land, and in the water, including probably the biggest Great White
Shark population on Earth. Oh, and the people walk around saying
"maeet" all the time, and their ancestors killed the natives for
sport. And that area between Perth and the east coast is
the absolute garden spot of the world. Swell place, Australia.

--
Cliff

I'd want to get back home to Australia after visiting a country with
gun-toting idiots walking the streets carrying $5 specials, yellowing out
"howdy" all the time, whose ancestors killed off the native American tribes
to push them off their land.. Deserts full of prickly cactus, rattlesnakes
and sidewinders. Weapons of mass destruction stored all over the country.
With awful TV shows with canned laughter, crap restaurants, and oversize gas
guzzling pickup trucks.

Swell place, America

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Miguel Cruz June 28th 05 07:45 AM

David Bennetts wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You were making your point just fine until you stepped over the line and
hauled out the TV shows. The country that brought the world Hey Dad and
Stingers needs to tread very gingerly on that topic.

miguel

Paul Keenleyside June 28th 05 07:56 AM

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
David Bennetts wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I would say anyone from a country that brought the world such television
delights such as The Brady Bunch, Me and The Chimp, WWF Wrestling, and Mork
and Mindy would need to tread very gingerly on the topic.

Alan S June 28th 05 09:44 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:45:32 -0500, (Miguel
Cruz) wrote:

You were making your point just fine until you stepped over the line and
hauled out the TV shows. The country that brought the world Hey Dad and
Stingers needs to tread very gingerly on that topic.

miguel

You left out the "good" ones - Kingswood Country, Norman
Gunston, Homicide, Division 4 - you're either too young or
you weren't here long enough.

And Neighbours, E Street, Home and Away, A Country practice,
Number 96, etc for all the soapy lovers.

That's just the tip of the iceberg:-)

On Cliff - there are some tourists you sincerely hope will
listen to their own advice - and stay home.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

[email protected] June 28th 05 01:40 PM

David Bennetts wrote:

I'd want to get back home to Australia after visiting a country with
gun-toting idiots walking the streets carrying $5 specials,

What streets you been hangin' out on? Been watching too much TV?

yellowing out "howdy" all the time,

:)
Huh? Howdy? Been watching old Westerns. I generally just nod,
thank you.

whose ancestors killed off the native American tribes
to push them off their land..

They were damn sure pushed off their land, that's for sure; and, er,
I guess there was a little genocide here and there, but they were
never hunted for sport. And our ancestors never killed any group to
extinction, as did yours with the people of Tasmania...

Deserts full of prickly cactus, rattlesnakes
and sidewinders.

Hey! I love our deserts, and mountains, and seashores, and wildlife.
We did have Bill Clinton as Prez for 8 years, but the ecomony DID boom.
We now have little Caesar as Prez, but we are all suffering through his
*last* term, but hey, nothing's perfect.

Weapons of mass destruction stored all over the country.

Our country is such a jewel on Earth that everybody wants it. It's
called *protection*.

With awful TV shows with canned laughter,

Have to agree here. TV/movies have gone into the crapper, but there's
lots of good stuff from the past to watch.

crap restaurants,

Maybe your choices are just bad.

and oversize gas guzzling pickup trucks.

Have to agree here too about the pig haulers, but at least folks
have that choice if they so desire.

Swell place, America

Indeed it is. I wouldn't shoot a rabid skunkape trying to leave
Australia.

--
Cliff

Gregory Morrow June 28th 05 10:35 PM

Alan S wrote:

You left out the "good" ones - Kingswood Country, Norman
Gunston, Homicide, Division 4 - you're either too young or
you weren't here long enough.

And Neighbours, E Street, Home and Away, A Country practice,
Number 96, etc for all the soapy lovers.

That's just the tip of the iceberg:-)

And at the tippy - top of that iceberg is _Prisoner: Cell Block H_...

--
Best
Greg