RadioBanter

-   -   Ideal computer / scanner combination? (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/77492-ideal-computer-scanner-combination.html)

Alan Dye September 1st 05 05:24 PM

Ideal computer / scanner combination?

I've been looking to setup the ideal computer/software/scanner combo
here in my shack to ferret out what frequencies are actively in use in
my area based on Percon's data from the FCC. Seems a lot of people
license frequencies, and then don't use them a lot.

Based on my analysis, there should be nearly 3,000 active frequencies in
my reception area -- a tiny corner on the south edge of San Francisco
and San Mateo counties near the coast -- but inital programming of
several hundred into my 785D shows limited use.

I'd like to use the computer to control the scanner and collect hits and
record the audio of certain channels so I can review the results in my
limited hobby time in the evenings after work.

I've been using a laptop with XP, Scancat Gold/SE and a Bearcat 785D,
but it's been rough going, mostly due to the software. Scancat comes
highly recommended, but the interface for importing is quirky and
difficult, and the manual is impossible. The software seems to have
been originally designed for something else. The trunking capture
module is useable, and I do use it to collect talkgroup activity on the
SF DECS Trunked system, but for conventional use it is unpleasant at best.

It might be a combination of the radio and the scanner.

What would be the best combination of hardware (scanner) and software to
monitor and eavesdrop on both conventional and trunked scanning and
collect both hits and audio?

Alan

p.s. also any recommendations on process, how you'd go about covering
all 3000 frequencies in the shortest period of time while maintaining
the maximum amount of information collection.

Southern Kiwi September 1st 05 08:08 PM

Alan Dye wrote:
I've been looking to setup the ideal computer/software/scanner combo
here in my shack to ferret out what frequencies are actively in use in
my area based on Percon's data from the FCC. I'd like to use the computer
to control the scanner and collect hits
and record the audio of certain channels so I can review the results
in my limited hobby time in the evenings after work.
It might be a combination of the radio and the scanner.

What would be the best combination of hardware (scanner) and software
to monitor and eavesdrop on both conventional and trunked scanning
and collect both hits and audio?

Alan

Hi Alan, I have the same rig as you.
I program the 785D to autostore freqs from a search range into a "clean"
bank while I'm away at work.
When I get back I then set it scannng those found freqs. I use ARC250pro for
laptop control and upload the new freqs.
I set it to log and record all conversations in my fresh bank ( I usually do
this then go off to work or where ever for at least 7 - 8 hours to ensure a
good sample of conversation)
When I finally sit down to listen, I have a days worth of conversation that
I can listen to in about half an hour, and figure out who belongs where, (or
use a freq database if they are still obscure) log those details to
ARC250pro then download all the new information to the scanner.
As there are no trunked set up here I have not dealt with that side.

--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a
Guru...but not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high... :)

Al Klein September 3rd 05 05:59 AM

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:24:23 GMT, Alan Dye said
in rec.radio.scanner:

What would be the best combination of hardware (scanner) and software to
monitor and eavesdrop on both conventional and trunked scanning and
collect both hits and audio?

Any Uniden scanner that covers the frequencies and modes you want to
monitor for hardware.

For software, the protocol of most Uniden scanners is available, so
why don't you write software that does exactly what you want. Nothing
you find on the web, or buy, will be that close to what you need.

p.s. also any recommendations on process, how you'd go about covering
all 3000 frequencies in the shortest period of time while maintaining
the maximum amount of information collection.

Keep scanning them all and record the hits, without duplicates. (You
could store them to a database, using the frequency as a
non-duplicable key.) You might also want to record the length of time
the scanner stayed on that frequency.

kla1899 September 9th 05 06:15 PM

Al Klein wrote in
:

[...]

nothing?? ever hear of TrunkStar Pro
http://www.scanstar.com/products/trunkstarpro.htm
it does just what he wants to do with his 785D
--
kla1899