RadioBanter

-   -   scanning encrypted digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/92479-scanning-encrypted-digital.html)

Fred V. April 9th 06 01:29 PM

scanning encrypted digital

Hi

Does anyone know if you can scan the new encryped digital transmissions?

Fred

mikeFNB April 9th 06 04:25 PM

scanning encrypted digital

only the motorola starnet stuff
where are you?
uk
us?

mike

t...

Fred V. April 9th 06 06:28 PM

scanning encrypted digital

Hi Mike

Milford Ct. Local PD here uses encrypted digital so all
I hear on the scanner is the computer noise on their frequencies. I see some
expensive Uniden scanners that mention they are "APCO P-25 digital" capable.
I wonder what that is?

Fred

mikeFNB April 9th 06 06:43 PM

scanning encrypted digital

opps hit send too soon....

Any Digital scanner which is capable of working on the
APCO 25 hybrid system will do

though you will need some info on the system channel setup as you need to
detect which is the control channel
but it is not hard

mike uk

"mikeFNB" wrote in message
yep that will do it.

mike

Fred V. April 9th 06 06:50 PM

scanning encrypted digital

Hi again Mike.

I see what I need now. I new scanner!

Fred

"mikeFNB" wrote in message
opps hit send too soon....

Any Digital scanner which is capable of working on the
APCO 25 hybrid system will do

though you will need some info on the system channel setup as you need to
detect which is the control channel
but it is not hard

mike uk

"mikeFNB" wrote in message
yep that will do it.

mike

Bill Crocker April 9th 06 07:47 PM

scanning encrypted digital

There are no scanners available in the U.S. they will scan, and decode
"encrypted" digital. APCO-25 digital, yes, but not if its encrypted.

Bill Crocker

Al Klein April 10th 06 02:53 AM

scanning encrypted digital

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 17:28:54 GMT, "Fred V."
wrote:

Milford Ct. Local PD here uses encrypted digital so all
I hear on the scanner is the computer noise on their frequencies. I see some
expensive Uniden scanners that mention they are "APCO P-25 digital" capable.
I wonder what that is?

A digital scanner will receive digital signals. No scanner will
receive encrypted signals, which it's illegal to even try to receive,
anyway.

Milford's 460 stuff is encrypted, 1 channel APCO, 1 analog, so you
won't receive anything. You should be able to receive detectives on
155.13.

Matt May 21st 06 12:43 AM

scanning encrypted digital

Agreed. Encrypted and digital are 2 very different things. You'll find that
most local government systems that are digital are not encrypted due to the
infrastructure cost in making them encryptable. Most of the digital scanners
on the market will allow you to hear most of what you want to hear.

"Scott" wrote in message
53...
"Fred V." wrote in news:P67_f.3149$mu2.3001
@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net:

Hi

Does anyone know if you can scan the new encryped digital transmissions?

Fred

Just because it's digital modulation doesn't mean it's encrypted.

If people would do a bit of research, they'd see that.

Korbin Dallas May 28th 06 06:11 PM

"Scott" wrote in message
53...
"Fred V." wrote in news:P67_f.3149$mu2.3001
@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net:

Hi

Does anyone know if you can scan the new encryped digital transmissions?

Fred

Just because it's digital modulation doesn't mean it's encrypted.

If people would do a bit of research, they'd see that.

If the system in question is an APCO P-25 system then encryption is built
into the system. All they need to do is program all radios with a Key.
As far as I know P-25 cant exchange keys over the air, a flay in my
opinion.

Kd