Showing results 1 to 25 of 87
Search took 3.19 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John Plimmer
Forum: Shortwave September 27th 12, 02:38 AM
Replies: 0
Posted By John Plimmer
South African DXpedition

My DX pals and I had a great trip to our DX site at:
http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/seefontein_2012_08.dx

Some great logs there and some new UTE's not heard before

John Plimmer, Montagu, Cape...
Forum: Shortwave September 3rd 12, 08:51 PM
Replies: 1
Posted By John Plimmer
Radio St Helena

Fwd from

John Plimmer, Montagu, Cape Province, South Africa
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7600,
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A, Redsun RP2100
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Grundig G8, Eton...
Forum: Shortwave September 25th 09, 11:55 AM
Replies: 24
Posted By John Plimmer
Bush baby in Atlanta visits HRO

Thanks to Bob Dobbs and RHF for the heads up on HRO. My son took me
there yesterday, it's a small store in a very downmarket area.
Cluttered with merchandise that is not marked it was difficult to...
Forum: Shortwave September 8th 09, 06:56 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By John Plimmer
Latest DXpedition in South Africa

On Sep 8, 5:22*pm, Guy Caballero wrote:
John,
Sorry to hear about your Kiwa loop. *What exactly went wrong? *Great MW
catch there! *I am always amazed at your BCB/DX!...
Forum: Shortwave August 29th 09, 06:52 PM
Replies: 5
Posted By John Plimmer
Jongensgat DXpedition in South Africa

On Aug 29, 11:26*am, John Plimmer wrote:
Just back from our fabulous DXpedition site at Jongensgat on the
Indian Ocean.

Heard during our latest Jongensgat DXpedition:...
Forum: Shortwave August 29th 09, 10:26 AM
Replies: 5
Posted By John Plimmer
Jongensgat DXpedition in South Africa

Just back from our fabulous DXpedition site at Jongensgat on the
Indian Ocean.

Heard during our latest Jongensgat DXpedition: 25th August 2009
Sunrise was 0502z

1670 kHz 0500z "WFSM" Dry Branch GA...
Forum: Shortwave August 5th 09, 12:43 AM
Replies: 9
Posted By John Plimmer
Bentley Continental Gran Tourismo gone

I always thought successful MW-DXing was more about persistence than
gear, although good equipment is a requisite, so if off...
Forum: Shortwave August 4th 09, 03:42 PM
Replies: 9
Posted By John Plimmer
Bentley Continental Gran Tourismo gone

Yes, my magnificent Icom IC-7700 has been sold. It was definitely the
finest and best radio I will ever own, but at the end it was a huge
overkill in my small town and not being able to go to the...
Forum: Shortwave July 29th 09, 07:54 PM
Replies: 4
Posted By John Plimmer
Passband crashed

It seems PTWBR's PASSBAND website has crashed....................
Not good news

JP
Forum: Shortwave July 22nd 09, 12:44 AM
Replies: 12
Posted By John Plimmer
Passport to World Band Radio(R) in Limbo ?

On Jul 17, 6:02*pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
dxAce wrote:
Here's a release received from PWBR headquarters this morning ....

Instead of detailing any reasons or...
Forum: Shortwave July 8th 09, 08:34 AM
Replies: 27
Posted By John Plimmer
Wellbrook ALA1530 next to a RF Systems DX1 Pro

On Jul 8, 2:54*am, wrote:
Mr.Plimmer, do you ever pick up any real Good Music like this?www.incallander.co.uk/music/wildmountainthyme.wav
cuhulin

Short answer is no - never on...
Forum: Shortwave July 7th 09, 12:52 AM
Replies: 27
Posted By John Plimmer
Wellbrook ALA1530 next to a RF Systems DX1 Pro

On Jul 6, 10:59*pm, John Barnard wrote:
Darn it, John, now I have to consider getting a DX 1 Pro Mk II. I've
read up on the DX 1 and grounding seems to be a critical issue with
Forum: Shortwave July 5th 09, 03:14 PM
Replies: 9
Posted By John Plimmer
JP on air

On Jul 5, 12:29*pm, dxAce wrote:
Bushcraftgregg wrote:

Unfortunately John, I'm not hearing anything.:-I

Just checking the tape here and not a peep, even with the...
Forum: Shortwave July 5th 09, 01:59 AM
Replies: 9
Posted By John Plimmer
JP on air

On Jul 5, 2:28*am, "Just Plain Burr" wrote:
What did you say???

Hi Burr,
I can't condense a twenty minute talk into a few lines, so try and
listen. It may be possible for...
Forum: Shortwave July 4th 09, 10:12 AM
Replies: 9
Posted By John Plimmer
JP on air

I will be interviewed on air by The South African Radio League's
(SARL) ARMI amateur radio mirror international on Sunday July 5th at
0800UTC/zulu.

See http://www.amateurradio.org.za/armi.htm
Best...
Forum: Shortwave July 1st 09, 10:56 AM
Replies: 27
Posted By John Plimmer
Wellbrook ALA1530 next to a RF Systems DX1 Pro

The ALA1530 active antenna arrived on loan on the 30th June
The ALA is mounted on the same pole as the RF Systems DX1 Pro,
but about 1 m down, so
it is about 10m off the deck and is orientated...
Forum: Shortwave June 28th 09, 08:29 PM
Replies: 0
Posted By John Plimmer
USA 2 - Brazil 0 at half time

USA are leading Brazil 2 - 0 at half time 1930z according to BBC SW on
the soccer Confederations Cup final being played in Johannesburg South
Africa.

John Plimmer, Montagu, Western Cape Province,...
Forum: Shortwave March 16th 07, 03:45 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By John Plimmer
A South African first

A South African is the first to post a review of the new Icom IC-R9500 on
eHam.
see
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6577

South 33 d...
Forum: Shortwave March 6th 07, 03:00 PM
Replies: 151
Posted By John Plimmer
HD AM in NJ/NY ?

Well upgrading from an R8B to a Pro3 is a bit like upgrading from a compact
Chevy to a top of the line Caddy.
You will still get there in the same time but the journey will be so much
more fun and...
Forum: Shortwave March 6th 07, 11:57 AM
Replies: 151
Posted By John Plimmer
HD AM in NJ/NY ?

Ace that will just pay for a nice shiny new Icom IC-756 PRO III straight out
the box.
What fun you will have = enjoy!
South 33 d 47 m...
Forum: Shortwave March 6th 07, 11:55 AM
Replies: 12
Posted By John Plimmer
Daylight Shifting Time

Ha, ha!
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII,...
Forum: Shortwave March 2nd 07, 01:28 PM
Replies: 38
Posted By John Plimmer
ICOM - R9500

Your probably right Ace, as the R8500 was a bit mediocre.
As for the running hot, probably a yes there as well, seems to be an Icom
characteristic.
My 756pro3 runs hot as hell in receive mode only...
Forum: Shortwave March 2nd 07, 01:24 PM
Replies: 15
Posted By John Plimmer
Redsun RP2100/Kaito2100

The opening was only a short one and I was concentrating on getting a
recording of a decent station ID on the TOH, so the only other station I
heard was probably Boston on 1510.

--
John Plimmer,...
Forum: Shortwave March 2nd 07, 01:46 AM
Replies: 38
Posted By John Plimmer
ICOM - R9500

Wow! impressive. Thanks for that Ace (I forgot to look in "wideband")
Maybe if I tell the tooth fairy I want one she will tell farmer Christmas?
Or maybe the stockmarket will treble?
Or pigs may...
Forum: Shortwave March 1st 07, 08:53 PM
Replies: 38
Posted By John Plimmer
ICOM - R9500

Where did you find those prices?
I looked it up on the Universal website and can't even find R9500 listed?
Please give a URL
thanks
--
John Plimmer, Montagu, Western Cape Province, South...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 87