Showing results 1 to 25 of 50
Search took 0.11 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Klystron
Forum: Equipment September 12th 13, 12:41 AM
Replies: 125
Posted By Klystron
Marine VHF Radio for Truck

In article , rickman
wrote:

I am going to be providing shore monitoring for a kayak trip and will be
using a VHF radio from my pickup. I am...
Forum: Moderated November 6th 12, 03:31 AM
Replies: 13
Posted By Klystron
Hurricane Sandy and ARES

I haven't heard any ARES activity related to the hurricane. Were
there any HF nets? Is there any activity coming out of the areas that
are still without power? Does ARES still exist, other than on...
Forum: Moderated June 9th 08, 11:51 PM
Replies: 93
Posted By Klystron
Activity on 2 meters

(Mark Kramer) wrote:

[...]
Unless you monitor a frequency 24/7/365, it is impossible to claim
"zero use". When most people say "zero use", they mean "I never hear
Forum: Moderated May 24th 08, 10:19 AM
Replies: 93
Posted By Klystron
Fifth pillar

Phil Kane wrote:

Oh? Before ham autopatches were popular on repeaters, the telcos -
both wireline and non-wireline - offered Mobile Telephone Service
(MTS) ...
Forum: Moderated May 10th 08, 02:29 PM
Replies: 16
Posted By Klystron
Another threat to 440

Paul W. Schleck " wrote:

The narrative does seem to fall flat when a so-called "compliant and
obsequious lapdog" sues its master in Federal Court and scores at least
Forum: Moderated May 8th 08, 03:34 PM
Replies: 16
Posted By Klystron
Another threat to 440

Phil Kane wrote:
[...]
Another reason to support the ARRL Spectrum Defense Fund.

Actually, it's another reason to wish that we had a REAL advocacy...
Forum: Moderated March 28th 08, 09:46 PM
Replies: 82
Posted By Klystron
WPM to BPS calculation

(Dave Platt) wrote:

I hope you'll pardon me when I ask "Which deity spoke to you and laid
down those particular points of Absolute Truth?". What's all this "We
need to"...
Forum: Moderated March 27th 08, 07:28 PM
Replies: 82
Posted By Klystron
WPM to BPS calculation

"Jeff" wrote:

So given a typist of comparable proficiency to the Morse operators (
meaning probably in the region of 80 - 100 wpm) it is most likely that the
text message...
Forum: Moderated March 25th 08, 04:03 AM
Replies: 82
Posted By Klystron
WPM to BPS calculation

Phil Kane wrote:

I take it that you don't know what "machine language" is. Humans are
not supposed to be involved. If they...
Forum: Moderated March 25th 08, 03:32 AM
Replies: 82
Posted By Klystron
WPM to BPS calculation

Phil Kane wrote:

Thus, a pile of old, junkyard computers will do the job quite
well and at an aggregate cost of $20 to $100 in...
Forum: Moderated March 25th 08, 03:29 AM
Replies: 82
Posted By Klystron
WPM to BPS calculation

Phil Kane wrote:

Something must have changed (or been fixed) then - we made
measurements about three years ago and there was about six seconds
offset - an...
Forum: Moderated March 24th 08, 10:10 PM
Replies: 82
Posted By Klystron
WPM to BPS calculation

wrote:
Klystron wrote:

Are you familiar with the Internet-based ntp system?

Such a system requires connectivity to the internet. WWVB does
not; just...
Forum: Moderated March 24th 08, 10:06 PM
Replies: 82
Posted By Klystron
WPM to BPS calculation

Phil Kane wrote:

Wouldn't it make more sense to include WWV and WWVH along with WWVB?
Are you familiar with the Internet-based...
Forum: Moderated March 24th 08, 02:53 AM
Replies: 82
Posted By Klystron
WPM to BPS calculation

Paul W. Schleck " wrote:

Transmitting 50 kilowatts from a single site capable of covering most of
North America, using groundwave propagation, independent of solar
Forum: Moderated March 23rd 08, 07:33 PM
Replies: 82
Posted By Klystron
WPM to BPS calculation

Paul W. Schleck " wrote:

It still seems like an awfully slow data rate. I have seen people
throw 14400 Baud modems in the...
Forum: Moderated March 22nd 08, 06:04 PM
Replies: 82
Posted By Klystron
WPM to BPS calculation

wrote:

[...]
So if the word PARIS is sent 50 times in 1 minute, that minute is
divided into 2500 dit times. Which is 41.66 bps.
[...]

It still seems like an awfully slow...
Forum: Moderated March 21st 08, 04:41 PM
Replies: 23
Posted By Klystron
Cost of internal keyer

Most base-type radios, especially HF radios, have keyer circuitry
built in. On those radios where it has been optional (Icom 970, e.g.),
it has been a fairly expensive option. Can anyone estimate...
Forum: Moderated March 18th 08, 02:44 PM
Replies: 82
Posted By Klystron
WPM to BPS calculation

I am trying to convert "words per minute" into "bits per second."
Bits per second, in turn, is APPROXIMATELY equal to baud, a common
measure of modem (or other means of data transmission) speed. I...
Forum: Moderated March 1st 08, 04:37 PM
Replies: 35
Posted By Klystron
What makes a person become a Ham?

wrote:
Klystron wrote:
[...]

Look for definitions of terms like "declaration of emergency,"
"martial law" or "disaster area." This is heavily traveled territory -
we don't...
Forum: Moderated March 1st 08, 02:14 AM
Replies: 35
Posted By Klystron
What makes a person become a Ham?

wrote:
Klystron wrote:

If an
ambulance crew is transporting a 90 year old heart attack victim, it is
certainly a matter of life or death for that one patient.

Forum: Moderated February 29th 08, 03:20 PM
Replies: 35
Posted By Klystron
What makes a person become a Ham?

AF6AY wrote:

When a member noted that the ARS
frequencies were there for use after the normal...
Forum: Moderated February 28th 08, 01:48 PM
Replies: 26
Posted By Klystron
1 Year Later - ARS License Numbers Feb 2008

"Dee Flint" wrote:
"AF6AY" wrote in message
[snip]

The delay of 'knowing who died' in regards to RADIO AMATEUR
licensees is only two...
Forum: Moderated February 27th 08, 08:35 PM
Replies: 35
Posted By Klystron
What makes a person become a Ham?

wrote:
[...]
A big factor in the attraction was the attitude expressed in the
books. None of them said learning radio, getting a license or building
equipment was difficult. None...
Forum: Moderated February 27th 08, 06:14 PM
Replies: 26
Posted By Klystron
1 Year Later - ARS License Numbers Feb 2008

AF6AY wrote:
[...]

There isn't any sampling or 'plus or minus percentage' in
regard to the FCC license class information in its database
files. It isn't a result of...
Forum: Moderated February 26th 08, 06:37 PM
Replies: 26
Posted By Klystron
1 Year Later - ARS License Numbers Feb 2008

wrote:
[...]
Whatever your view of the *test*, Morse Code is still in wide use in
amateur radio.
Therefore, by definition, skill in its use is neither useless nor
obsolete for...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 50