Showing results 1 to 23 of 23
Search took 0.09 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Forum: Antenna July 21st 09, 02:56 PM
Replies: 12
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Best 144/440 Antenna for Attic Installation

I will second the OSJ 146/440. It is a "side by side" dual band
J-pole so it is only the height of a basic 2 meter J-pole, very
sturdy, and does not require a ground plane. Mine is on the roof,...
Forum: Equipment March 19th 09, 06:20 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
ICOM 91AD

D-Star value is somewhat subjective, but be certain to compare the
91AD with the 92AD. The 92 is something of a do over to fix poor
design choices in the 91.

--
Alan
WA4SCA
Forum: Antenna January 12th 09, 03:52 PM
Replies: 28
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Sun Spots During an Ice Age?

Cecil,

We might indeed be approaching a Dalton Minimum, if not a full scale
Maunder Minimum. Much like AGW, there is a strong East-West dichotomy
in predictions. The NASA-ESA solar gurus have in...
Forum: Equipment June 8th 08, 03:02 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Remember the Galaxy Scout Deluxe?

Rich,

My first rig was a Globe Scout 680A. The one in the picture is
certainly fancier!

BTW, I attended the Palm Desert QCWA meeting in January where they
presented Leo with his certificate for 80...
Forum: Equipment June 7th 08, 08:40 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Remember the Galaxy Scout Deluxe?

Thanks for the post. I believe it was actually a Globe Scout. The
Galaxy line came later.

Alan
WA4SCA

--
Alan
WA4SCA
Forum: Antenna May 24th 08, 12:37 AM
Replies: 46
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Sunspot cycle more dud than radiation flood

Indeed! And the "Hockey Stick" has been shown to be bad data, and
worse statistics. The "increasing frequency and intensity of
hurricanes" has now been disproved by none other that the sources...
Forum: Moderated May 22nd 08, 02:59 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
What a great Dayton!

Indeed, it went well, except as you say for the ticket issues. I
talked with a DARA official at a banquet, and they are VERY aware of
what happened, and that it must NEVER happen again.

At a...
Forum: Equipment March 28th 08, 01:37 PM
Replies: 5
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
icom ic-w32a vs. others

They are very popular with satellite operators, due to the full duplex
capability. Currently if you want full duplex, not just split band
operation, your only real choice is the Kenwood TH-7, which...
Forum: Digital March 17th 08, 01:32 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
UIView Question

I would strongly recommend that you join the UI-VIEW support group and
ask your question. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/ and search for
UI-VIEW, and join. A great bunch of guys who are truly...
Forum: Moderated March 3rd 08, 05:06 PM
Replies: 15
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Ham radio as a condition of employment

Steve,

Where I live, middle TN, we are seeing a lot of medical, law
enforcement, and emergency service types turning up in our technician
and general class classes. So far as I know, none are there...
Forum: Moderated February 25th 08, 12:07 AM
Replies: 26
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
1 Year Later - ARS License Numbers Feb 2008

So perhaps the code issue wasn't all that important, anyway.

--
Alan
WA4SCA
Forum: Equipment January 8th 08, 10:26 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Ham Radio Deluxe "IC-R20, COM4, 4800, failed to Read Frequency."

Hi,

I would strongly suggest that you ask at the official forum he

http://forums.ham-radio.ch/

Also, while version 3.4 is the official production release, it is
really very old. Try the...
Forum: Equipment January 6th 08, 01:25 PM
Replies: 10
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Icom 706 MkIIG Problems with Signalink USB Box

Andy,

I also have a SignaLink USB, and find it works well with my Yaesu.
However, compared with 3 other sound card or external units I have
used, it seems to have a much lower impedance. The result...
Forum: Equipment November 28th 07, 04:57 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Rotor Grease

Ron,

Check with a farm supply such as Tractor Supply or even a good local
hardware for grease which works well at low temps. Lithium grease is
good, both for that and for general use. I am in a...
Forum: Moderated November 24th 07, 04:34 PM
Replies: 11
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Looking for PSK31 advice

One has to start somewhere, and the presence of ground loops can, and
have, resulted in RF and not just audio problems. FWIW.

--
Alan
WA4SCA
Forum: Moderated November 24th 07, 01:56 PM
Replies: 11
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Looking for PSK31 advice

Jack,

The first thing to check is that the interface is FULLY isolated.
Surprisingly, some commercial interfaces use isolation transformers on
only the RX line. Also, not all use fully isolated...
Forum: Antenna October 23rd 07, 06:57 AM
Replies: 17
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
2-meter Preamp?

Russ,

I have used both Landwehr and ARR preamps for 2 meter SSB. One of the
major issues is how much coax, and what quality, you have. Another is
the quality of the preamp which you have in your...
Forum: Moderated October 5th 07, 09:02 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
"Fony Fonetics?"

Steve,

It is too long ago to remember exactly, but those are all exactly the
type of thing I remember. Many thanks! I definitely need to head
over to rec.humor.funny as well.

--
Alan
WA4SCA
Forum: Moderated October 4th 07, 09:00 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
"Fony Fonetics?"

Hi,

Years ago, I had a list, now long lost, of "Fony Fonetics." It was a
humorous phonetic alphabet of words which either were odd exceptions
where the sound did not match the spelling, or were...
Forum: Antenna October 3rd 07, 02:56 PM
Replies: 13
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Ground rod lengths vs number

Ken,

The reason ground rods are 8' long has to do with electrical codes,
which are strictly for AC power safety. The rest of the advice you
have gotten will get you a good rf ground, which is what...
Forum: Digital September 25th 07, 02:59 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
UI-View software

Paul,

There should not be a problem with someone changing their Latitude and
Longitude. First guess is that you are using the wrong format, which
the program is rejecting. See the help file. If...
Forum: Antenna September 18th 07, 10:05 PM
Replies: 24
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
Questions about a 2m J-pole

Tom,

Most of those CB SWR meters are good for HF and probably 6 meters or
so. My experience is that they are highly inaccurate at best, and
often completely unusable on 2 meters. I lend my Bird...
Forum: Digital September 17th 07, 03:27 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By Alan WA4SCA[_2_]
PSK31 newbie receiving problem (RFI in cable)

First thing would be some ferrite cores on the leads. RS has them.
Also, try an audio transformer in the RX audio line. A cheap 600 ohm
at RS will do. If that is indeed the problem, then even a...
Showing results 1 to 23 of 23