RadioBanter

-   -   solar indices (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/102224-solar-indices.html)

Steve August 23rd 06 04:25 AM

solar indices

I need to learn more about the various solar indices and propagation. I
saw on the web that the K-index at mid-latitudes today measured a 2,
and a low k-index, as I understand it, is good for HF propagation.
However, it seems like propagation is quite poor at the moment. Tonight
was the first night in a long time I didn't hear Radio Romania on 9690,
and though there is a lot of atmospheric noise right now at my
location, it wasn't enough to blot out the signal I ordinarily receive
from Radio Romania.

Time to hit the books!

Steve

Telamon August 23rd 06 04:44 AM

solar indices

In article .com,
"Steve" wrote:

I need to learn more about the various solar indices and propagation. I
saw on the web that the K-index at mid-latitudes today measured a 2,
and a low k-index, as I understand it, is good for HF propagation.
However, it seems like propagation is quite poor at the moment. Tonight
was the first night in a long time I didn't hear Radio Romania on 9690,
and though there is a lot of atmospheric noise right now at my
location, it wasn't enough to blot out the signal I ordinarily receive
from Radio Romania.

Time to hit the books!

It's not any harder than reading the gauges on your dash board.

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/SWN/
and
http://www.n3kl.org/sun/noaa.html

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Steve August 23rd 06 04:54 AM

solar indices

Telamon wrote:
In article .com,
"Steve" wrote:

I need to learn more about the various solar indices and propagation. I
saw on the web that the K-index at mid-latitudes today measured a 2,
and a low k-index, as I understand it, is good for HF propagation.
However, it seems like propagation is quite poor at the moment. Tonight
was the first night in a long time I didn't hear Radio Romania on 9690,
and though there is a lot of atmospheric noise right now at my
location, it wasn't enough to blot out the signal I ordinarily receive
from Radio Romania.

Time to hit the books!

It's not any harder than reading the gauges on your dash board.

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/SWN/
and
http://www.n3kl.org/sun/noaa.html

--