RadioBanter

-   -   Shortwave Listener (SWL) Newbee Question - Is My Dipole Antenna Set-Up Right ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/105482-shortwave-listener-swl-newbee-question-my-dipole-antenna-set-up-right.html)

RHF September 26th 06 02:55 AM

Shortwave Listener (SWL) Newbee Question - Is My Dipole Antenna Set-Up Right ?

* Use a Balun with a Dipole Antenna
Another 'improved' Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna
design would use a Balun {Matching Transformer} between
the Dipole Antennaand the Coax Cable feed-in-line. This
is most often a 4:1 {Four-to-One} Matching Transformer.
Using the Balun will better 'match' the Dipole Antenna to
the Coax Cable feed-in-line and the Receiver across a
wide frequency range then simply using a Dipole Antenna
that is directly connected to the Coax Cable.
- - - The direct conneted Dipole Antenna is great for Hams
working on a single Shortwave (HF) Frequency Band.

- It's this balun similar to the ones used to connect 75 ohm
- coax to the screw connects on the back of a TV?
-
- Brian

Yes - Basically the 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm
TV type Matching Transformer is a Balun.

iane ~ RHF