RadioBanter

-   -   Sputnik I,49 years ago today... (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/106317-sputnik-i-49-years-ago-today.html)

rtc October 4th 06 09:54 PM

Sputnik I,49 years ago today...

http://www.nytimes.com/partners/aol/special/sputnik/

Was wondering if any of the "vintage" swl's here
tuned in to 19.995 mhz back then to hear it....

Dick Chisel October 4th 06 10:25 PM

Sputnik I,49 years ago today...

rtc wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/partners/aol/special/sputnik/

Was wondering if any of the "vintage" swl's here
tuned in to 19.995 mhz back then to hear it....

I wanted to hear it in the worst way...but the only receiver available
to me then was a BC-348 and that only went to 18 Mc/s. I started to
build a 15 meter converter, but Sputnik stopped transmitting before I
could gather all the parts and finish the converter... :-(

[email protected] October 4th 06 11:21 PM

Sputnik I,49 years ago today...

I remember watching Sputnik,it looked like a little silvery shiny ball
up there,you could see it with the naked eye.My dad owned some fairly
powerfull binoculars and I used to get a better view of Sputnik.Sputnik
caused America to get in a bigger hurry about the race to Space.
cuhulin