RadioBanter

-   -   What ISM(HiFer) allocations are really for. (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/109155-what-ism-hifer-allocations-really.html)

[email protected] November 9th 06 01:46 PM

What ISM(HiFer) allocations are really for.

I had a chance last night to see this baby in action.

Pretty good screen room, I couldn't pick it up in the parking lot on my
DX398.

http://www.casetechnology.com/implanter/rf.html

Of course the discription;"G1 13.56MHz RF Generator delivers up to 3000
Watts into a 50-W , non-reactive load. It uses a 3 phase, 208 Vac,
50/60 Hz power source, is water-cooled, and provides control signals
through a 25-pin analog/digital user port." is misleading. Under
typical use
only 50W are needed. Much more power is there if needed.

Terry

Doug Smith W9WI November 9th 06 02:16 PM

wrote:
I had a chance last night to see this baby in action.

Pretty good screen room, I couldn't pick it up in the parking lot on my
DX398.

http://www.casetechnology.com/implanter/rf.html

Of course the discription;"G1 13.56MHz RF Generator delivers up to 3000
Watts into a 50-W , non-reactive load. It uses a 3 phase, 208 Vac,
50/60 Hz power source, is water-cooled, and provides control signals
through a 25-pin analog/digital user port." is misleading. Under
typical use
only 50W are needed. Much more power is there if needed.

"...50-W, non-reactive load."

In this context, "W" means "ohms". (why not just say ohms? I have no
idea)

That doesn't necessarily mean that application requires more than 50
watts of power, but you can't tell from what's on that page.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

[email protected] November 9th 06 02:34 PM

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The maximum this machine had ever used was around 30W.

A very contained field.

Somehow when I took Physics I never thought anyone would want to
"implant ions".

Terry

Jim Shaffer November 9th 06 10:53 PM

What ISM(HiFer) allocations are really for.

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:16:25 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

"...50-W, non-reactive load."

In this context, "W" means "ohms". (why not just say ohms? I have no
idea)

Typo and/or bad font conversion, I suspect. The letter omega of the
opposite case from the one we use (I don't remember if it's upper or
lower) looks like a "w", only rounded. It's used in physics for
angular velocity.

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! November 11th 06 04:40 AM

What ISM(HiFer) allocations are really for.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I had a chance last night to see this baby in action.

Pretty good screen room, I couldn't pick it up in the parking lot on my
DX398.

http://www.casetechnology.com/implanter/rf.html

Of course the discription;"G1 13.56MHz RF Generator delivers up to 3000
Watts into a 50-W , non-reactive load. It uses a 3 phase, 208 Vac,
50/60 Hz power source, is water-cooled, and provides control signals
through a 25-pin analog/digital user port." is misleading. Under
typical use
only 50W are needed. Much more power is there if needed.

Terry

Wow. Interesting and strange.
A company I worked for many years ago was
doing ion implantation of semiconductors.
I didn't realize that so much HF power was
involved.

The strange part is that that info is hosted by
a company that makes shipping cases. ?

--
rb