RadioBanter

-   -   A couple of questions for a not-too-newbie (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/110057-couple-questions-not-too-newbie.html)

Al Arduengo November 21st 06 03:24 AM

A couple of questions for a not-too-newbie

Sometimes while tuning around various bands I run across a sound which I can
only describe as "bubbles". It reminds me of a loud aquarium. It is still
possible to hear voice above it. Does anyone know what this sound is?

I typically use PWBR to determine what I am listening to. However, how do I
know if what I am listening to is relayed via a US station? For instance,
tonight I was listening to Voice of Croatia at 0310. PWBR says it is via
Germany. Does this mean I am picking up the signal direct from Germany, or
is it being relayed from somewhere in the US? How can I find out? I feel
like it is not direct because the source is supposed to be 250KW and I am
getting it S8-S9. Is this reasonable?

I am using an Eton E1 with a pa0rdt-mini-whip mounted about 25ft off the
ground. I am located in north Texas in the DFW metro area.

Thanks.
-Al
--
"Don't get too wrapped up in dogma. Who knows? When we get to heaven
there might be a Big Buddha laughing at us while we're all running