RadioBanter

-   -   Balun for "F"type Connectors?????? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/111202-re-balun-f-type-connectors.html)

Brian December 8th 06 10:10 PM

Balun for "F"type Connectors??????

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a reciever that has 2 screw antenna connections, 300 ohm. I
currently use RG-6 coax so I use a 4:1 matching tranformer at my
reciever and also at the Windom antenna in the attic.

I would like to setup a 90 ft random wire antenna outside using the
RG-6 and feed thru a ground block to the matching transformer into my
reciever. I'll need a 9:1 balun at the feed, but have not found a
ready made balun that accepts the "F" type coax connector. The ICE-180
and one currrently on eBay use a SO-239 connector and I have not found
connectors available to adapt to the RG-6.

Does any one know of a 9:1 Balun that accepts the "f" type connector?

Brian

Why not build your own, and add whatever connector you like?

http://home.comcast.net/~markwa1ion/...ansformers.pdf

[email protected] December 9th 06 01:18 PM

Balun for "F"type Connectors??????

Why not build your own, and add whatever connector you like?

http://home.comcast.net/~markwa1ion/...ansformers.pdf

Thanks for the link. The only thing stopping me where to buy 1 ferrite
coil. I went to order a ferrite core from CWS per the pdf above and it
was $10.25 USD plus shipping to Canada. Might as well get the balun on
eBay that uses a SO-239 connector for $15. I could open up the case,
remove this connector and replace my own.

Another option would be to add an SO-239 connector to my reciever but
then I heen to find a ground block that it could go thru or make one
up.

Brian

Geoffrey S. Mendelson December 9th 06 05:00 PM

Balun for "F"type Connectors??????

Thanks for the link. The only thing stopping me where to buy 1 ferrite
coil. I went to order a ferrite core from CWS per the pdf above and it
was $10.25 USD plus shipping to Canada. Might as well get the balun on
eBay that uses a SO-239 connector for $15. I could open up the case,
remove this connector and replace my own.

I have had good luck with toriods out of old PC power supplies. Some work fine,
some don't.

Another question I have is since you are receiving (this is an SWL list
after all), why won't a 4:1 balun from a TV set or FM radio work? Since you
are using RG-6 which is about 75 ohm, a 9:1 balun will match to almost 700 ohms,
but a 4:1 will match to 300. We could debate this for hours, but for a
receiving antenna, IMHO it may not make a difference at all.

Another option would be to add an SO-239 connector to my reciever but
then I heen to find a ground block that it could go thru or make one
up.

Putting a PL-259 connector on RG-6 does not make a lot of sense, it
really was not designed for it. "F" to PL-259 adaptors exist, or since
you are inside, you could use a combination of "F" to BNC or RCA
and then to PL-259, they are far more common.

Another possibility is to connect a short jumper of RG-58 or 59 to an F
connector on one side and a PL-259 on the other. Use that to connect to
the balun and a barrel connector to join to the RG-6.

You could also take an indoor version 300 ohm to coax balun, the kind that
is held together with clips, open it up and rewind it to 9:1.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/