RadioBanter

-   -   Keypad Repair (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/111480-re-keypad-repair.html)

JoeSpareBedroom December 13th 06 02:34 PM

Keypad Repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
This may seem off topic for this newsgroup, but I figured I might find
people here who had disassembled devices that have keypads.

I've got a Panasonic cordless phone whose keypad has stopped working
unless
I press extremely hard on the buttons. I took the thing apart and found
that
the actual keypad is just sort of a plastic "mat" containing the buttons
push. It rests on top of a circuit board that has corresponding spots on
it
for each button (membrane switches?). The Panasonic web site lists a
replacement keypad, which is nothing but the plastic "mat". Although it's
cheap enough to try replacing that part, I'm wondering if these things
really go bad - maybe get fatigued or compressed over a couple of years.
Is
this fix likely to work?

The microswitch board is the part that usually gives problems.

This makes me want to find one of the original touch tone phones. Those
things NEVER seemed to have problems.

Beloved Leader December 13th 06 04:06 PM

Keypad Repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
This makes me want to find one of the original touch tone phones. Those
things NEVER seemed to have problems.

When I see them in the trash, I grab them. They usually get thrown out
because they don't generate tones anymore. The mechanical part of the
keyboard seems to last forever.