Old December 22nd 06, 11:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Longevity of Coax and Antennas

I've had my Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper Dipole up for about 4 years
now.
Lately, it seems that reception isn't what it used to be.
Could it be the antenna and coax?
Or is it more likely that reception conditions are lousy?
If you think it is the antenna, could you please suggest a replacement
antenna and high grade coax system for me?
Please keep it simple, I really don't want to get into all the theory and I
don't have a lot of time to research and construct an antenna.
Thanks all.
Lenny

Old December 22nd 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Lenny,

Unless there is some physical damage to the Antenna
and/or the Coax Cable they both should be fairly good
after four years.

1 - Take the Antenna and Coax Cable down
- Inspect the Antenna for Damage
- Inspect the Coax Cable for Damage

2 - Dis-assemble the Coax Cable Connections
- Clean them
- Re-connect them
- Seal them

3 - Check your Insulators and Feed-Point Mount
- Clean them thoroughly
- Repace if needed

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
Old December 24th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Lenny wrote:
I've had my Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper Dipole up for about 4 years
now.
Lately, it seems that reception isn't what it used to be.
Could it be the antenna and coax?
Or is it more likely that reception conditions are lousy?
If you think it is the antenna, could you please suggest a replacement
antenna and high grade coax system for me?
Please keep it simple, I really don't want to get into all the theory and I
don't have a lot of time to research and construct an antenna.
Thanks all.
Lenny

I had an Eavesdropper up for nearly 15 years, with no real signs of
aging. And no deterioration in performance up to the point I took it
down to move it, and then found that I really don't need it with my
other antennae in place.

I have replaced the coax more than once, in that time, however. The
jacket cracked. Moisture gets into the coax and performance drops
precipitously.

Check your traps for signs of leakage. Not likely, but possible.
Especially in direct sunlight, and with large swings in temperature.

Check your connectors for signs of corrosion. Corroded connectors
will be a source of ground irregularities and mismatches. Higher noise.
And if the inner contact is corroded, reduced signal. But if the
connectors are corroded, you're almost always going to have moisture in
the coax. Replace it. With a coax of UV resistant jacket.

When you reinstall the coax, a little synthetic grease on the
connectors will help seal prevent corrosion, while CoaxSeal or similar
application will seal moisture out of the assembly.

Properly sealed, your installation will be trouble free for as long
as the coax jacket remains unbroken.

But as another poster commented, conditions haven't been good for
awhile. Be sure that's not what you're seeing. No need worrying about
things that don't require it.

Old December 24th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

coax,outside is like a weep.It sucks up all kinds of S..T.
cuhulin

Old December 24th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I would guesstimate,replace the coax at least once every five years or
so.There is a BIG difference in the quality (read that,Big Bucks) of
coax too.
cuhulin

Old December 24th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yeah,,,,, outside,,,,, coax can SUCK!
cuhulin

The "TRICK" to TV 'type' Coax Cable [Shielded] SWL Loop Antennas {RHF} RHF Antenna 27 November 3rd 04 01:38 PM
The "TRICK" to TV 'type' Coax Cable [Shielded] SWL Loop Antennas {RHF} RHF Shortwave 23 November 3rd 04 01:38 PM
coax antennas Joseph Fenn Antenna 3 March 27th 04 01:29 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM