RadioBanter

-   -   Ham Radio Licensing Just Got Easier (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/114430-ham-radio-licensing-just-got-easier.html)

[email protected] January 28th 07 04:34 PM

Ham Radio Licensing Just Got Easier

www.geek.com

Morse Code will be dropped next month.

I don't think it should be dropped.
cuhulin

dxAce January 28th 07 04:51 PM

Ham Radio Licensing Just Got Easier

wrote:

www.geek.com

Morse Code will be dropped next month.

I don't think it should be dropped.

Neither do a lot of other folks.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/01/24/100/?nc=1

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Phoon Hencman January 28th 07 05:45 PM

Ham Radio Licensing Just Got Easier

On 2007-01-28 11:34:56 -0500, said:

www.geek.com

Morse Code will be dropped next month.

I don't think it should be dropped.
cuhulin

Why and why do you care? In this day and age it is irrelevant to ham
radio. There are better modes that use less bandwidth like PSK 31 for
example. It IS still used by a lot of folks however. I'd rather see
people learn technical stuff instead to make them better electronic
experts and communication experts. Morse will never be dead but as a
requirement it's about time. They could double the number of written
questions and get better hams IMHO.

simmonsfan January 29th 07 03:20 AM

Ham Radio Licensing Just Got Easier

What's your call sign, cuhulin?

[email protected] January 29th 07 04:16 AM

Ham Radio Licensing Just Got Easier

HAMBONE.That's what my grand pappy used to call me.
cuhulin

Mark Harper January 29th 07 09:53 PM

Ham Radio Licensing Just Got Easier

In article ,
says...
On 2007-01-28 11:34:56 -0500,
said:

www.geek.com

Morse Code will be dropped next month.

I don't think it should be dropped.
cuhulin

Why and why do you care? In this day and age it is irrelevant to ham
radio. There are better modes that use less bandwidth like PSK 31 for
example. It IS still used by a lot of folks however. I'd rather see
people learn technical stuff instead to make them better electronic
experts and communication experts. Morse will never be dead but as a
requirement it's about time. They could double the number of written
questions and get better hams IMHO.

Exactly - Morse was part of the exam in those days as it was the other
alternative form of communication.

I wouldn't mind taking a PSK31 test :-)

73s

Mark - MW1MDH (yes, one of those UKers who got HF when Morse was
dropped in the UK!)