Old March 2nd 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default ICOM - R9500

Wow! impressive. Thanks for that Ace (I forgot to look in "wideband")
Maybe if I tell the tooth fairy I want one she will tell farmer Christmas?
Or maybe the stockmarket will treble?
Or pigs may fly..................

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

"dxAce" wrote in message

John Plimmer wrote:

Where did you find those prices?
I looked it up on the Universal website and can't even find R9500 listed?
Please give a URL

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0095.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 2nd 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Plimmer wrote:

Wow! impressive. Thanks for that Ace (I forgot to look in "wideband")
Maybe if I tell the tooth fairy I want one she will tell farmer Christmas?
Or maybe the stockmarket will treble?
Or pigs may fly..................

I wonder if it will run as hot as some of their earlier offerings did.

I've always been somewhat leery of 'wideband' receivers. To me, 'wideband'
equates to 'compromise'.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 2nd 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Your probably right Ace, as the R8500 was a bit mediocre.
As for the running hot, probably a yes there as well, seems to be an Icom
characteristic.
My 756pro3 runs hot as hell in receive mode only and chews 3.5 amps of
power.
It's really tedious to have that heat generated in the shack when the temps
here in summer run 105F

Old March 2nd 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

Wow! impressive. Thanks for that Ace (I forgot to look in "wideband")
Maybe if I tell the tooth fairy I want one she will tell farmer Christmas?
Or maybe the stockmarket will treble?
Or pigs may fly..................

I wonder if it will run as hot as some of their earlier offerings did.

I've always been somewhat leery of 'wideband' receivers. To me, 'wideband'
equates to 'compromise'.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

That's always been my thinking. Although, I have to say, that of the
widebands, ICOM has done a pretty creditable job of taking measures to
keep IF performance pretty close to what's required for performance.
Instead of the impossibly wide first IF's shared by the HF and V/UHF
stages found in many widebands.

IC-R8500 was pretty decent. Although the AOR direct competitors to
R8500 seemed to do a better job on HF.

My attorney had a pair of R9000's in his office. And I shouldn't be
surprised at how well it did HF. For the price, it should have poured my
tea. I'm reasonably confident R9500 will be at least as good, if not
better than most quality HF rigs out there.

I'd also like to think ICOM got the audio right on this one, but
that's too much to ask for only $15k.

BTW, have you noticed that WLS has gone to the dark side?

The trashing is complete. Now I can't listen to anything on the lower
half of the AM band but WGN and WIND.

Old March 2nd 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:

dxAce wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

[...]

No, I hadn't, but upon checking you are certainly right.

The trashing is complete. Now I can't listen to anything on the lower
half of the AM band but WGN and WIND.

Thanks to Edtardo and Friends!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 2nd 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Plimmer wrote:

Your probably right Ace, as the R8500 was a bit mediocre.
As for the running hot, probably a yes there as well, seems to be an Icom
characteristic.
My 756pro3 runs hot as hell in receive mode only and chews 3.5 amps of
power.

And folks seem to think that the R8 series runs 'hot' at around 2 amps.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 2nd 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:

dxAce wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

[...]

And meanwhile, we sit and wait patiently for the new K + D offering...

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 2nd 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

D Peter Maus wrote:

No ****. How long have they been promising this, now?

Old March 2nd 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:

dxAce wrote:

D Peter Maus wrote:

dxAce wrote:
John Plimmer wrote:

[...]

Not real sure. Since late 2005, early 2006?

They state on their website that "The release date is still unknown, but we
hope that we can present the receiver in 2006."

Last update to the website as a whole was on 8 January, 2007.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 2nd 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 2, 10:14 am, dxAce wrote:

And meanwhile, we sit and wait patiently for the new K + D offering...

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Dear "dxAce,"

Keep your eye on AOR-UK as well. It is possible, but only possible,
that they may be introducing a new DSP receiver within the next year
or so according to Richard Hillier. John Thorpe and some other radio
designers would be involved with this receiver if it does, in fact,
get the "go-ahead."

You can write to him at for more information. He
will reply to you.

One can only hope that the price will be "reasonable," that is, within
the reach of hobbyists.

I will say this - it will HAVE to be a SUPERLATIVE design in order to
improve upon the performance and quality of the AR7030 Plus, at least
in my opinion.

Best,

Joe