RadioBanter

-   -   Does your Drake R7A Do This? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/116768-does-your-drake-r7a-do.html)

John Berenyi March 18th 07 02:02 PM

Does your Drake R7A Do This?

A few years ago I bought a minty Drake R7A. I sent it to Drake for a complete refurbish and they did a wonderful job. However, I always wondered about the volume output. When the volume knob is turned down all the way I still hear audio coming from my speaker or headphones. Is this typical of these units? It's not a big deal but it does make me wonder. If this is not typical, what can I do to make it work like other rigs.

dxAce March 18th 07 02:15 PM

Does your Drake R7A Do This?

John Berenyi wrote:

A few years ago I bought a minty Drake R7A. I sent it to Drake for a complete
refurbish and they did a wonderful job. However, I always wondered about the
volume output. When the volume knob is turned down all the way I still hear
audio coming from my speaker or headphones. Is this typical of these units?
It's not a big deal but it does make me wonder. If this is not typical, what
can I do to make it work like other rigs.

It is typical after a suitable replacement could no longer be found by Drake.
The same thing has apparently happened with the R8B. Proper replacements are
VERY hard to find.

Please turn your HTML off!

Larry Dighera March 18th 07 03:35 PM

Does your Drake R7A Do This?

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:02:34 -0600, "John Berenyi"
wrote in
:

When the volume knob is turned down =
all the way I still hear audio coming from my speaker or headphones. Is =
this typical of these units?

The same thing occurs with my Drake R8B.

dxAce March 18th 07 03:42 PM

Does your Drake R7A Do This?

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:02:34 -0600, "John Berenyi"
wrote in
:

When the volume knob is turned down =
all the way I still hear audio coming from my speaker or headphones. Is =
this typical of these units?

The same thing occurs with my Drake R8B.

"The AF/RF gain control (5K/3K) for the R-8B is no longer available. However,
you can substitute this with the PBT/Squelch control (10K/10K), 326-0006,
available at a cost of $5.13." -- Bill Frost, Drake.

I've not tried this myself.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 18th 07 04:37 PM

Does your Drake R7A Do This?

On Mar 18, 9:02 am, "John Berenyi" wrote:
A few years ago I bought a minty Drake R7A. I sent it to Drake for a complete refurbish and they did a wonderful job. However, I always wondered about the volume output. When the volume knob is turned down all the way I still hear audio coming from my speaker or headphones. Is this typical of these units? It's not a big deal but it does make me wonder. If this is not typical, what can I do to make it work like other rigs.

Mine and a couple other TR7's did the same thing. Never tried to find
why or fix it. Made an "audio" panel of slider pots and ran all
receivers through it. I could set the level for each radio or if the
phone rang, one finger ran all receivers to zero.

BDK March 18th 07 06:36 PM

Does your Drake R7A Do This?

In article ,
says...
A few years ago I bought a minty Drake R7A. I sent it to Drake for a complete refurbish and they did a wonderful job. However, I always wondered about the volume output. When the volume knob is turned down all the way I still hear audio coming from my speaker or headphones. Is this typical of these units? It's not a big deal but it does make me wonder. If this is not typical, what can I do to make it work like other rigs.

Hi John,

The R7A I almost bought did it too. I think it's something they all so
slightly, at least.

BDK

dxAce March 18th 07 06:45 PM

Does your Drake R7A Do This?

BDK wrote:

In article ,
says...
A few years ago I bought a minty Drake R7A. I sent it to Drake for a complete refurbish and they did a wonderful job. However, I always wondered about the volume output. When the volume knob is turned down all the way I still hear audio coming from my speaker or headphones. Is this typical of these units? It's not a big deal but it does make me wonder. If this is not typical, what can I do to make it work like other rigs.

Hi John,

The R7A I almost bought did it too. I think it's something they all so
slightly, at least.

Well, only the ones with a bad part. As I stated earlier, the original part no longer being available, Drake offered the part which would not allow the volume to be completely shut down.

I've had several R7's which did operate properly.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Larry Dighera March 18th 07 09:06 PM

Does your Drake R7A Do This?

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:42:51 -0400, dxAce wrote
in :

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:02:34 -0600, "John Berenyi"
wrote in
:

When the volume knob is turned down =
all the way I still hear audio coming from my speaker or headphones. Is =
this typical of these units?

The same thing occurs with my Drake R8B.

"The AF/RF gain control (5K/3K) for the R-8B is no longer available. However,
you can substitute this with the PBT/Squelch control (10K/10K), 326-0006,
available at a cost of $5.13." -- Bill Frost, Drake.

I've not tried this myself.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Thanks for the information. If it came from Bill Frost, it's gospel.

However, I'm not going to open the receiver up just to check the part
number, as the low-volume audio output that remains when the volume
control is in the Min position is a non-issue for me. If I want
absolute silence, the Power switch is able to effect that quite
nicely.

dxAce March 18th 07 09:12 PM

Does your Drake R7A Do This?

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:02:34 -0600, "John Berenyi"
wrote in
:

When the volume knob is turned down =
all the way I still hear audio coming from my speaker or headphones. Is =
this typical of these units?

The same thing occurs with my Drake R8B.

"The AF/RF gain control (5K/3K) for the R-8B is no longer available. However,
you can substitute this with the PBT/Squelch control (10K/10K), 326-0006,
available at a cost of $5.13." -- Bill Frost, Drake.

I've not tried this myself.

Thanks for the information. If it came from Bill Frost, it's gospel.

However, I'm not going to open the receiver up just to check the part
number, as the low-volume audio output that remains when the volume
control is in the Min position is a non-issue for me.

Bear in mind that that is Drake's part number, not necessarily the one on the pot
itself.

If I want
absolute silence, the Power switch is able to effect that quite
nicely.

At least on the R7/A there is a mute switch! In my case with the R8B and the R7 is
that the volume is very, very low in the totally counter clockwise position.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Larry Dighera March 19th 07 01:17 AM

Does your Drake R7A Do This?

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:12:40 -0400, dxAce wrote
in :

In my case with the R8B and the R7 is
that the volume is very, very low in the totally counter clockwise position.

Exactly. And I have no issue with pressing the power switch when I
want absolute silence from the receiver.

Of course, the receiver is only truly off when it is disconnected from
a power source. I suppose that design decision was a result of the
desire to facilitate digital control via computer at all times.