RadioBanter

-   -   EchoLink (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/116800-echolink.html)

[email protected] March 19th 07 02:04 AM

EchoLink

Could somebody refresh my memory of just how exactly EchoLink works??
What class license do you need to be active in this format. The topic
came up again in response to the National Weather Service alerts and
also with the city fire department. They are recruiting volunteers
for emergency situations.

Thanks.

Caveat Lector March 19th 07 02:51 PM

EchoLink

wrote in message
ups.com...
Could somebody refresh my memory of just how exactly EchoLink works??
What class license do you need to be active in this format. The topic
came up again in response to the National Weather Service alerts and
also with the city fire department. They are recruiting volunteers
for emergency situations.

Thanks.

EchoLink is software which allows Amateur Radio stations to communicate with
one another over the Internet, using voice-over-IP (VoIP) technology. The
program allows worldwide connections to be made between stations, from
computer to station, or from computer to computer.

It is similar to AOL AIM or Skype but for Hams only.

Any licensed Amateur Radio Operator can use EchoLink. Requires registration
and verification of license status and downloading software, then
configuration such as opening certain ports on your computer.

Works quite well.

See URL:

http://www.echolink.org/el/

Shows pictorially how EchoLink Works

AND

http://www.synergenics.com/sc/default.htm

CL

Phoon Hencman March 22nd 07 09:26 PM

EchoLink

On 2007-03-18 22:04:57 -0400, "
said:

Could somebody refresh my memory of just how exactly EchoLink works??
What class license do you need to be active in this format. The topic
came up again in response to the National Weather Service alerts and
also with the city fire department. They are recruiting volunteers
for emergency situations.

Thanks.

Technician class or higher. It works over the internet. It's cheating
but hey some like that I guess. I call it fake radio.