RadioBanter

-   -   Current Equivalent To The Late, Great Zenith TO? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/117439-current-equivalent-late-great-zenith.html)

Snidely March 29th 07 08:17 PM

Current Equivalent To The Late, Great Zenith TO?

- Very good to excellent build quality
- All band coverage (by current standards)
- Portable
- Excellent sound
- In general, simply inspires lust

I'm sorry to say, I can't think of any worthy radios.

Any suggestions?

HD Radio³ March 29th 07 09:32 PM

"Snidely" wrote in message
- Very good to excellent build quality
- All band coverage (by current standards)
- Portable
- Excellent sound
- In general, simply inspires lust

I'm sorry to say, I can't think of any worthy radios.

Any suggestions?

Britney Spears
Jessica Simpson
Christina Aguilerra

labtech1 March 30th 07 12:32 AM

Current Equivalent To The Late, Great Zenith TO?

The Zenith Trans-Oceanic was a piece of crap ( all versions )
Go up on e-bay and see what they are going for ( if you can find ANYONE
even bidding on them )

I collect Zenith radios from the 30's and think Zenith made the best
radios at the time ...... unfortunatly this one was a DUD.

Unrevealed Source March 30th 07 04:00 AM

Current Equivalent To The Late, Great Zenith TO?

You don't know what you're talking about.

The answer to the original question is probably the E1XM, although I'd wait
for the Grundig version without the XM if I were looking to buy one new.

RHF March 30th 07 04:10 AM

On Mar 29, 12:17 pm, Snidely wrote:
- Very good to excellent build quality
- All band coverage (by current standards)
- Portable
- Excellent sound
- In general, simply inspires lust

I'm sorry to say, I can't think of any worthy radios.

Any suggestions?

Snidely,

Well for the most part the Zenith Trans-Oceanics (TOs) were
ZENITH TO = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Oceanic
http://www.radiointel.com/nr-d7000y.htm
Radios of Yesterday with many Wood, Metal, Bakelite and
yes even some Plastic.
http://www181.pair.com/otsw/review-zenith.html
http://bellsouthpwp.net/p/a/padgett46/whyto.htm
Most had Metal Frames and Heavy Construction.
http://www.antiqueradio.org/transoceanics.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-Trans-O.../dp/0887407080

ABOUT - Bakelite the first Plastic made from Synthetic Components
BAKELITE = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite
-Note- Bakelite is 'pronounced' "Bay-Ka-Lite"
How Do You Know It's Bakelite ?
http://www.worldint.com/science/bakelite.html
http://bakelite_world_2001.tripod.com/
http://bakelite_world_2001.tripod.co...know/id12.html
Leo Hendrik Baekeland the Inventor of "Bakelite"
http://inventors.about.com/library/i...lbakerlite.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Baekeland
Bakelite - The Material of a Thousend Uses
http://users.surfnett.de/bofe/e/bakges-e.htm
Bakelite Museum = http://www.bakelitmuseum.de/

Today's Reality is that any 'portable' AM & FM Shortwave
Radio that is currently manufactured is 'made' of Plastic.
Plastic Body + Plastic Frame + Plastic Knobs etc etc etc
So get use to the idea that a modern Radio is not going
to 'Feel' like an old Zenith Trans-Oceanic [.]

That being Said there are a few nice "Used" and "New"
'portable' AM & FM Shortwave Radios that are worth
considering.

USED 'portable' AM & FM Shortwave Radios :
Panasonic RF-2800/RF-2900
http://www.dxing.com/rx/rf2800.htm
Panasonic RF2600
http://www.dxing.com/rx/rf799.htm
Drake SW-8
http://www.dxing.com/rx/sw8.htm
Magnavox D2935 and D2999
http://www.dxing.com/rx/d2935.htm
Grundig Satellit 800
http://www.dxing.com/rx/sat800.htm
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0800.html
Sony ICF-2010
http://www.dxing.com/rx/icf2003.htm
Sangean ATS-909 and RadioShack Realistic DX-398
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/1909.html
http://www.dxing.com/rx/ats818cs.htm

NEW - 'portable' AM & FM Shortwave Radios :
Redsun RP-2100 / Kaito KA-2100
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/2100.html
Etón E1 and Grundig G1
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0101.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/2001.html
Sony ICF-SW7600GR
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING = http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
.

/ \
........!.......

Unrevealed Source March 30th 07 11:55 AM

Current Equivalent To The Late, Great Zenith TO?

I thought I read somewhere that the non-XM Grundig would be a bit cheaper,
but you may be correct.

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
Unrevealed Source wrote:
You don't know what you're talking about.

The answer to the original question is probably the E1XM, although I'd
wait for the Grundig version without the XM if I were looking to buy one
new.

E1XM is XM Ready, but it's not XM capable. It requires the outboard XM
tuner and antenna to receive XM.

The only thing that makes it XM Ready out of the box, is the command
code built into the O/S to address the outboard tuner and the connector to
the motherboard.

As I understand it, the E1XM and it's non XM Grundig counterpart cost
the same. Out of the box they do the same things.

Little reason to wait.

Unrevealed Source March 30th 07 12:00 PM

Current Equivalent To The Late, Great Zenith TO?

Performance was just fine on Zenith TransOceanics, and there is very high
demand for them in good shape. You don't know what you're talking about.

"labtech1" wrote in message
I don't know what I'm talking about ? Well the asker wanted to know if
there was anything
Equal or better than a Zenith TO ..... then to answer the question ....
yes EVERYTHING
is equal or BETTER than a TO

lots were sold because of price and portability, but performance was
terrible. Again if you check e-bay there are alot for sale with
virtually
no takers.

labtech1 March 30th 07 12:42 PM

Current Equivalent To The Late, Great Zenith TO?

one of 3 things :

1) you've never owned one
2) thats all you've ever owned and have nothing to comapare it to
3) you just want to argue

If they are in such HIGH demand .... why are so many up for 'auction' on
e-bay
and no one bidding on them ? and if they are such a 'great' performer,
everyone
would hold on to them and prices to buy them would be sky high.
none of the above is true ....so sounds like its YOU that
" doesn't know what he's talking about "

D Peter Maus March 30th 07 12:55 PM

Unrevealed Source wrote:
Performance was just fine on Zenith TransOceanics, and there is very high
demand for them in good shape. You don't know what you're talking about.

I have a number of them. Tube and solid state. And while I like
them, and they have a nice sound, the performance really wasn't anything
to write home about.

By setting the AGC threshold deeper, and with a quicker time
constant, the T/O gave the impression it was a good deal more sensitive
than it really was.

Sensitivity was good, but not breathtaking, and can easily be out
performed today by a low end portable.

Selectivity was likewise nothing special, although with a decent
alignment, a T/O could hold it's own with a contemporary Hallicrafters.

Dynamic range was quite limited, and T/O's tended to easily overload
with strong evening signals on the shortwave bands.

The T/O's were stylish, with good audio. And ruggedly built. But
they were designed and built at a time when the bands were full, signals
were strong and DXing was not particularly difficult.

They are easily outperformed today. As are most radios of that period.

That's not to say they aren't worth having and using. I drag mine to
the woods regularly, and one is playing now, in my office.

But there are much better radios. And the collector demand for them
seems to have peaked. A few years ago, a 7000 could go for hundreds. One
went for more than a thousand on e-Bay. But today those prices are rarer
than the radios themselves.

labtech1 March 30th 07 01:11 PM

Current Equivalent To The Late, Great Zenith TO?

prices I found on several web sites ( not e-bay but what the seller is
ASKING for them ):

1) Zenith Transoceanic Royal 3000-1 radio $56.55
2) Antique Zenith Short Wave Trans-Oceanic Tube Radio $25.00
3) Zenith Wave-Magnet Trans Oceanic Tube Shortwave Radio $49.95
4) Zenith H500 Trans Oceanic Shortwave Wave Magnet Radio $48.50
5) Zenith L507 5L42 Transoceanic Tube Radio Shortwave 1953 $24.99
6) Zenith Transoceanic Short Wave Radio Model No. 8G005 $24.99

Found this ALSO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Unrevealed Source View profile
More options Dec 10 2005, 7:10 pm
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
From: "Unrevealed Source"
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:10:00 -0500
Subject: Zenith 7000DY Trans-Oceanic For Sale
No, even those that are in absolutely mint condition go for $300-350. Most
sell for less.

$600? Never. It's just not that rare a radio. Lots of them on eBay,
always. Look up the completed auctions on D7000Y. It appears that this
seller did not do that.
Looks like you contradict yourself , IF demand was so HIGH, $600 would be
nothing
to get a really great radio and there wouldn't be "Lots of them on e-bay"
:)