RadioBanter

Al Dalton June 3rd 07 02:19 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

Many prefer mailing lists as opposed to online forums. I have seen "groups"
mentioned here several times but nothing about a mailing list. If you'd like
to try a mailing list, you can do so at the following link.
It works like this: You send an email message to the specified address. That
message is then distributed to all list members. When you reply, the same
thing happens. There is no SPAM problem because only members can post
messages. Enjoy!

Best regards,
Al

RHF June 3rd 07 04:22 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

to try a mailing list, you can do so at the following link.http://dialtrax.com/mailman/listinfo/shortwave_128034
It works like this: You send an email message to the specified address. That
message is then distributed to all list members. When you reply, the same
thing happens. There is no SPAM problem because only members can post
messages. Enjoy!

Best regards,
Al

Al - If one of the Members gets an eMail Virus
or is SPAM-Jacked then everyone on the List
will receive the Virus or in-turn be SPAM-Jacked.

i know nothing - i see nothing - i hear nothing ~ RHF

Al Dalton June 3rd 07 06:50 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

Al - If one of the Members gets an eMail Virus
or is SPAM-Jacked then everyone on the List
will receive the Virus or in-turn be SPAM-Jacked.

i know nothing - i see nothing - i hear nothing ~ RHF
.

The Mailman program is not vulnerable to such attacks as you describe. If
there is an attachment, and you do not know the person who sent it, do not
open it. Other than that, a Mailman list is safe.

You can configure a list to block attachments.

Al

Al Dalton June 3rd 07 10:03 PM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 2, 10:50 pm, "Al Dalton" wrote:
Al - If one of the Members gets an eMail Virus
or is SPAM-Jacked then everyone on the List
will receive the Virus or in-turn be SPAM-Jacked.

i know nothing - i see nothing - i hear nothing ~ RHF
.

The Mailman program is not vulnerable to such attacks as you describe. If
there is an attachment, and you do not know the person who sent it, do
not
open it. Other than that, a Mailman list is safe.

You can configure a list to block attachments.

Al

AL - And what do you do if a Member's eMail
{Computer} has been "SPAM-Jacked" ? ~ RHF
.

Nothing. His or her hypothetical problem does not affect the list and its
members.

I've been running Mailman lists for years primarily for an organization. Not
one person has been adversely effected by mail relayed through a mailing
list. Besides, each of us should have defenses in the form of anti-virus
software with real time protection for incoming messages.

Al

K Isham June 4th 07 12:26 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

Al Dalton wrote:
"RHF" wrote in message
[...]

Al Dalton:

I work with a John Dalton formerly on Chicago, IL. USMC retired.
Reading your e-mail reminds me of him.
Ken

download.com June 4th 07 12:29 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

. .

Firewall Radioman Firewall.

Burr

download.com June 4th 07 12:31 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

"RHF"

AL - And what do you do if a Member's eMail
{Computer} has been "SPAM-Jacked" ? ~ RHF
.
.
.

Radioman, don't you run a antenna list???

Burr

Al Dalton June 4th 07 02:22 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

Al - If one of the Members gets an eMail Virus
or is SPAM-Jacked then everyone on the List
will receive the Virus or in-turn be SPAM-Jacked.

i know nothing - i see nothing - i hear nothing ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Firewall Radioman Firewall.

Burr

There is only one way a virus can make it through Mailman. Then you have to
open an attachment. As I've said, attachments can be disallowed with a bit
of configuring. Also your real time virus protection would kick in and save
the day. What is a person doesn't have protection? Then they shouldn't be
out here (Internet).

Al

download.com June 4th 07 05:36 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

"Al Dalton" wrote in message

Al - If one of the Members gets an eMail Virus
or is SPAM-Jacked then everyone on the List
will receive the Virus or in-turn be SPAM-Jacked.

i know nothing - i see nothing - i hear nothing ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Firewall Radioman Firewall.

Burr

There is only one way a virus can make it through Mailman. Then you have
to open an attachment. As I've said, attachments can be disallowed with a
bit of configuring. Also your real time virus protection would kick in
and save the day. What is a person doesn't have protection? Then they
shouldn't be out here (Internet).

Al

Don't ever open an attachment, never!! Unless you know the person that sent
it to you!!!!!

Burr

Al Dalton June 4th 07 06:05 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

There is only one way a virus can make it through Mailman. Then you have
to open an attachment. As I've said, attachments can be disallowed with
a bit of configuring. Also your real time virus protection would kick in
and save the day. What is a person doesn't have protection? Then they
shouldn't be out here (Internet).

Al

Don't ever open an attachment, never!! Unless you know the person that
sent it to you!!!!!

Burr

Agreed. A wise policy for all.

Al

JeroenK June 4th 07 07:15 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

Al Dalton wrote:

Don't ever open an attachment, never!! Unless you know the person that
sent it to you!!!!!

Burr

Agreed. A wise policy for all.

Thats exactly why most of those viruses uses the email address book so
it looks like an email from a friend.

Even when it appears to come from a friend you should have a healthy
look before opening it.

--
JeroenK

download.com June 4th 07 02:41 PM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

AVG Free antivirus will scan any incoming mail from your ISP's mail
server and delete the virus.

http://www.free.grisoft.com/doc/1 is free for use on personal use on
home computers, but businesses are required to pay for it.

Mailwasher will bounce spam and tell the sender that it is an invalid
email address.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Gee Michael, I got a DD214 also, I did The Nam and I didn't get my **** blow
away!

I run McAfee everything.

Cya

Michael A. Terrell June 4th 07 04:26 PM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

"download.com" wrote:

Gee Michael, I got a DD214 also, I did The Nam and I didn't get my **** blow
away!

The sig file is there to remind an online stalker that I'm still
here, and despite his threats, my non profit work with disabled Veterans
is still going on.

I run McAfee everything.

You have my deepest sympathy. I rip it, or Norton out of almost
every used PC that is refurbished to be given to a disabled Veteran.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Al Dalton June 4th 07 06:48 PM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

Note -if- the List is in your Address Book :
Then the List will receive the SPAM-Jacked Message.

However, as it has been pointed out most Lists are
Set-Up so that Attachments are Removed before
the Message is Re-Sent to the Members.

On-Line Address Books maintained by your ISP
do offer another level of protection from having
your Address Book Hi-Jacked over a PC Based
Address Book.

Most ISP's now offer Incoming eMail Virus Screening.

Plus most ISP's offer Message "SPAM" Filtering
and other SPAM Screening {Feed-Back} Features.

BUT - SPAM STILL HAPPENS ! [NSS]
.
.

Obviously you folks are not familiar with the Mailman program. I have two
lists with 200+ on each, and one with well over 2,000. Nothing of what some
of you say happens, actually does. The lists are safe.

Al

Al Dalton June 4th 07 06:58 PM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

"JeroenK" wrote in message

Don't ever open an attachment, never!! Unless you know the person that
sent it to you!!!!!

Burr

Agreed. A wise policy for all.

Thats exactly why most of those viruses uses the email address book so it
looks like an email from a friend.

Even when it appears to come from a friend you should have a healthy look
before opening it.

--
JeroenK

Worms do that. There's an easy way to prevent that. Make an address book
entry beginning with "!" as the name. Use something like
for the email address. That address is not valid as far as I know. Now make
another address book entry, this time the name begins with "Z". Now if you
get a worm mailer, it will surely start at the beginning or the end of your
address book. When it tries to send to either of these two addresses at the
top or bottom, of the list, you should get a message pop from Outlook
Express or Outlook. I don't know about other mailers but something similar
should happen.

Al

JeroenK June 5th 07 07:41 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

Al Dalton wrote:

Worms do that. There's an easy way to prevent that. Make an address book
entry beginning with "!" as the name. Use something like
for the email address. That address is not valid as far as I know. Now make
another address book entry, this time the name begins with "Z". Now if you
get a worm mailer, it will surely start at the beginning or the end of your
address book. When it tries to send to either of these two addresses at the
top or bottom, of the list, you should get a message pop from Outlook
Express or Outlook. I don't know about other mailers but something similar
should happen.

Not really as those worms come with their own mail server, they don't
use Outlook (Express) to actually send the email. They dont even use the
ISPs mail servers to avoid detection.

--
JeroenK

No Name June 5th 07 04:34 PM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 01:22:46 UTC, "Al Dalton"
wrote:

Al - If one of the Members gets an eMail Virus
or is SPAM-Jacked then everyone on the List
will receive the Virus or in-turn be SPAM-Jacked.

i know nothing - i see nothing - i hear nothing ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Firewall Radioman Firewall.

Burr

There is only one way a virus can make it through Mailman. Then you have to
open an attachment. As I've said, attachments can be disallowed with a bit
of configuring. Also your real time virus protection would kick in and save
the day. What is a person doesn't have protection? Then they shouldn't be
out here (Internet).

Al,
Unless you are running OS/2! No known viri for me!
Al

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Al Dalton June 5th 07 08:03 PM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

"JeroenK" wrote in message
Al Dalton wrote:

Worms do that. There's an easy way to prevent that. Make an address book
entry beginning with "!" as the name. Use something like
for the email address. That address is not valid as far as I know. Now
make another address book entry, this time the name begins with "Z". Now
if you get a worm mailer, it will surely start at the beginning or the
end of your address book. When it tries to send to either of these two
addresses at the top or bottom, of the list, you should get a message pop
from Outlook Express or Outlook. I don't know about other mailers but
something similar should happen.

Not really as those worms come with their own mail server, they don't use
Outlook (Express) to actually send the email. They dont even use the ISPs
mail servers to avoid detection.

--
JeroenK

So you're saying all worms are created to operate the same way. I think
not. What I described has happened in the past. I did not simply dream it
up, and experts have recommended precisely what I suggested.

Al

JeroenK June 6th 07 06:29 AM

Mailing Lists vs. Forums

Al Dalton wrote:

So you're saying all worms are created to operate the same way. I think
not. What I described has happened in the past. I did not simply dream it
up, and experts have recommended precisely what I suggested.

And you are mentioning one way of re-mailing that only a tiny group of
malware uses against the majority that carry their own.

PS: I have about a decade of experience with malware on a professional
basis in a anti-abuse network group, so I do kinda know what I am
talking about.

--
JeroenK