Old June 5th 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.music.makers.electronic,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave

Default small variable capacitors (measured in uF)? measuring capacitance?

I would like to hook up a variable capacitor to some audio circuits I
built for learning about synths and amps
(schematics are he
http://www.geocities.com/usenet_daug...generators.htm )
http://www.runoffgroove.com/littlegem.html
http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html
http://makezine.com/09/crackerboxamp/
)

because in some of these the capacitors change the pitch, tone or
other qualities.

These circuits run off a 9V battery and use capacitors with ratings
such as
220 uF
100uF,
0.1 uF,
0.01 uF
0.047 uF
so I would want variable caps in this range.
Do these exist? Online all I am seeing is ones rated in pF.

Also, assuming I find these, and get them working in the circuit, and
find a desired setting for a capacitor, how do you measure the
capacitance? I have a multimeter but have really only used it to
measure ohms.

Thanks...

Old June 5th 07, 11:35 PM posted to alt.music.makers.electronic,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave

Mad Scientist Jr wrote in
ups.com:

These circuits run off a 9V battery and use capacitors with ratings
such as
220 uF
100uF,
0.1 uF,
0.01 uF
0.047 uF
so I would want variable caps in this range.
Do these exist? Online all I am seeing is ones rated in pF.

They'd be HUGE. Easily as big as a fridge or a car, even a truck in the
case of 220 µF.

What matters is the timing, as it's timing that matters in amps and
synthesizers, except for power supplies or sample and hold circuits where
capacity is more important.

To get long timing with small capacitors, use large value resistors, and
make sure you have low leakage capacitors.
Old June 6th 07, 04:30 AM posted to alt.music.makers.electronic,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave

\
http://www.stormwise.com/page3.htm
Old June 6th 07, 02:44 PM posted to alt.music.makers.electronic,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
"John A" wrote in
:

You cannot buy variable capacitors with these values, but you could
make up or purchase an arrangement of switches and fixed capacitors
quite cheaply which a) would be the next best thing and b) would
directly address your "how do you measure the capacitance" question.
Commercially they are called Capacitance Substitution Boxes or
Capacitance DecadeBoxes . They're not infinitely variable, of course,
but are finitely practical!

Nice. I'm not sure that's what the OP wanted, (more likely a single
continuous control of something), but if this switched-cap box were built
to 1 nF resolution, for $40 extra or so, you can add a variable capacitor
shown on the page David linked to: http://www.stormwise.com/page3.htm

That way you can have any infinitely variable value, just not in one

sweep.

Well, I intentionally didn't suggest adding a variable as a) it would
re-open the Pandora's Box of how to calibrate the thing, and, b) the
combined tolerances of the fixed components would make a nonsense of such
calibration anyway.

As the OP sounds as though he may want several capacitors to be
simultaneously variable his best homebrew move may be to build up
a number of simple, two or three decade BCD-style, successive approximation
systems. Each will need 4 switches and capacitor combos (15 caps of one
value) per decade - a nice little homebrew project.

John A via rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Old June 6th 07, 03:24 PM posted to alt.music.makers.electronic,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave

"John A" wrote in news:4666bbdc$1$8756$ed2619ec@ptn-
nntp-reader02.plus.net:

Well, I intentionally didn't suggest adding a variable as a) it would
re-open the Pandora's Box of how to calibrate the thing, and, b) the
combined tolerances of the fixed components would make a nonsense of such
calibration anyway.

Initially, I didn't assume the OP wanted a large variable capacitor at all,
but was mistakenly trying to match fixed sizes with variable sizes without
considering why such things are not common practise. Calibration aside, the
variable I suggested adding IS a viable idea, assuming your switched-cap
box is valid. After all, if you CAN get any value, then you set it as you
need. If it's tuning frequency, you measure the frequency.

But as I said WAy early in the thread, first reply, if you really want a
sweep of possible timing values, just use a fixed cap and a variable pot,
as standard. The OP was talking about synthesizers, after all, he mentioned
them explicitly.
Old June 6th 07, 03:29 PM posted to alt.music.makers.electronic,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave

"John A" wrote in news:4666bbdc$1$8756$ed2619ec@ptn-
nntp-reader02.plus.net:

Well, I intentionally didn't suggest adding a variable as a) it would
re-open the Pandora's Box of how to calibrate the thing, and, b) the
combined tolerances of the fixed components would make a nonsense of such
calibration anyway.

Another thing: That variable cap on the page David (and I) linked to, is
more than 1 nF. So long as the fixed caps had a tolerance tight enough, it
should cover (1.398 nF allows for greater than 20% tolerance on nominal 1
nF increments). Not that any of this matters, in practise.
Old June 6th 07, 10:42 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.shortwave

"Mad Scientist Jr" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

As others have mentioned, these values are not widely available in variables
partly because they are unweildy, and partly because they are rarely needed.

Take a look at your circuits. Many of the capacitors are "uninteresting".
For example, if you look at your "little gem" amplifier, the 100u is simply
filtering the supply (looks like a little overkill), the .01 appears to be
mostly DC blocking, although it is small enough it might have an efffect on
bass response. Ditto for the 220. The only one that looks like it might be
interesting to experiment with is the 0.047. The other circuits are
similar. Capacitors have all sorts of functions in various circuits, and
for many of those functions, playing with the values isn't very satisfying.

Before you go building these things and playing with them, I would suggest
modeling them in some SPICE flavor or another. This would allow you to
experiment with the frequency response without actually building the
circuit. Once you have seen some interesting SPICE responses, *then* go buy
some capacitors.

As far as measuring capacitance, you can buy meters, more commonly LC
meters, and many multimeters include them. You can also make an LC
oscillator, measure its frequency, then put the unknown C in parallel with
the C in the oscillator, and measure the frequency again. You can then
calculate the unknown C. Another way is to put the unknown C in series with
a known resistor, put some RF across it, and measure the voltage drops with
an RF probe. Again, a little math reveals the unknown C.