RadioBanter

-   -   A Simple External Antenna 'Combo' For Your Eton E1 Radio - The MFJ Snake ! (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/123601-simple-external-antenna-combo-your-eton-e1-radio-mfj-snake.html)

RHF August 18th 07 09:55 AM

A Simple External Antenna 'Combo' For Your Eton E1 Radio - The MFJ Snake !

Ed,
.
A Simple External Antenna 'Combo' For Your Eton E1 Radio - The MFJ
Snake !
.
For those who are Out-Side Antenna Challenged the MFJ-1020C
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1413.html
As a basic Active Pre-Selector offers several features
to put something Out-the-Window or Around-the-Room and
Tune-It and Amplifiy-It or simply Use-It-Directly -
It being a Shortwave Radio Antenne of your own creation
to meet your needs within your limits.
..
Add a simple "Snake" Coax Cable Antenna Stuck-Out the Window :
In-the-Air; Under-the-Eaves or simply Hang-It-Out-the Window.
Works well with the MFJ-1020C used as an Active Pre-Selector
..
-P==========C--====================E
..
"-P" PL-259 Plug
"=" Coax Cable RG58 or RG8X or RG6 with an "F" to PL-259 Adapter
"C" Snap-On Ferrite Choke
"--" One Inch Cover Insulation and Outer-Shield Removed
from the Coax Cable and Taped Over.
"E" Connect Inner Conductor and Outer-Shield connected
Soldered together at the Far-End of the Coax Cable.
Distance : -P to C about 10-20 Feet
Distance : C to E about 15-30 Feet
..
TIP - Most people see the Snake {Coax Cable} Antenna as a
Cable TV Service Cable and usually never complain about it.
- - - After All Cable TV Is A Basic Human Right ;-)

RHF, to elaborate a bit, I used one of your many recommendations for
an external antenna. I am in a first floor apartment. I have
experimented with many antennas over the years, slinkys, window
antennas, even the famous broomstick antenna. While the old saying
that a bad antenna is better than none at all is very true, none of
these really were the answer. I even used portable ham antennas,
which worked better as they were outside.

I picked up the MFJ 1020C active antenna. This gadget, as everyone
who is familiar with it knows, is not very effective with the built
in whip. With an external antenna, the little 1020 shines. It works
with the slinky strung up on the ceiling. It also does well with
broomsticks or window antennas.

What I finally did is take a 25 foot length of 30 gauge white wire
and throw it up in the tree outside. Attached to the MFJ 1020C, this
antenna is a major improvement over anything else I have tried with
the E-1 or the Sony 2010.

The MFJ 1020C is a bit of a controversial product, though and may not
work for everyone. I do not use it with a wall wart. Using a 7 amp-
hour gel cell makes it much quieter. My random wire is short so it
does not overtax the capability of the MFJ 1020C. I have not had
problems with overload. I am also in a relatively quiet RF
environment, considering that I am in a major city.

How well does it work? I am able to hear lots of Brazilian, Peruvian,
Colombian and Mexican stations that I did not have a prayer to hear
before. Radio Educacion on 6185 is a reference. I am able to get it
clearly, even with interference from Radio Amazonas on 6180 or Radio
Havana on the same 6180 frequency. Of course, this is partially due
to the outstanding synchronous detector on the E-1. Radio Mil (Mexico
City)on 6010, Radio Lider (Bogota) on 6139.5 all come in well.
Argentina on 11710 is always a challenge, but I hear it well most
nights at 0200.

73,
Ed
N4EJG

* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING = http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \