RadioBanter

-   -   General Exam Questions (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/129139-general-exam-questions.html)

[email protected] January 5th 08 04:32 AM

General Exam Questions

Could someone please help me understand how this 1/2 wavelength and
1/4 wavelenght thing is measured?? I'm trying to get a handle on how
to figure out what a wavelength is or how you measure one. Antenna
height and so forth are all figured according to set formulas,
right??

Thank you very much.

[email protected] January 5th 08 06:12 PM

General Exam Questions

On Jan 4, 10:59*pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
wrote in message

Could someone please help me understand how this 1/2 wavelength and
1/4 wavelenght thing is measured?? *I'm trying to get a handle on how
to figure out what a wavelength is or how you measure one. *Antenna
height and so forth are all figured according to set formulas,
right??

Thank you very much.

Wavelength (m) = 300/f

Examples:

146 MHz (2m amateur)
300/146 = 2.05m (rounded to the nearest 100th)

10 MHz (WWV)
300/10 = 30m

440 MHz (70cm amateur)
300/440 = .068m (rounded to the nearest 1000th)

To compute half wave in meters simply divide by 2

To compute quarter wave in meters simply divide by 4

For real world applications of antenna building, you would want to do the
following:

For a driven (active) element, multiply your result by .95

For a reflector element leave as is.

For a director element, multiply your result by ~.90

These will not be precise, but they are practical, and do work well.

Well, I'll be printing this e-mail out and putting it under my pillow
at nite.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Wish me luck.