RadioBanter

-   -   Digital mode on 10426.5 kHz (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/129165-digital-mode-10426-5-khz.html)

msg January 5th 08 10:05 PM

Digital mode on 10426.5 kHz

There is a digital transmission on 10426.5 kHz almost continuously, every
day; FSK with about 875 Hz shift, about 100 baud or so, won't decode with
any s/w that I have. Anyone know this one or care to speculate?

Michael

dxAce January 5th 08 10:07 PM

Digital mode on 10426.5 kHz

msg wrote:

There is a digital transmission on 10426.5 kHz almost continuously, every
day; FSK with about 875 Hz shift, about 100 baud or so, won't decode with
any s/w that I have. Anyone know this one or care to speculate?

Best you sign up with:

dxAce
Michigan
USA

msg January 6th 08 02:07 AM

Digital mode on 10426.5 kHz

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:

"msg" wrote in message

There is a digital transmission on 10426.5 kHz almost continuously, every
day; FSK with about 875 Hz shift, about 100 baud or so, won't decode with
any s/w that I have.

snip

I show it centered at 10428.
Comes in pretty strong evenings in socal.
Looks like 75 baud.

http://www.chace-ortiz.org/umc/db/modes/kg84c.txt
says:
Feb 7, 2000 2304 10428.00 ??? NATO Mil, ??? 75bd/850 FSK, KG84 crypto

Thanks for this link; when it comes to digital modes, one can never be sure of
the carrier center freq when one does not know the mark/space freqs., etc.
so searching the web for references to something near 10425-10427 came up null
for me.

Could very well be military/navy.
I think commercial maritime services also transmit
similar signals.

There are many others similar such as 10130 9960 9215.2
9085 9030 5345.

Indeed; I haven't listened much around 9000-9999 but I do hear the one at 10130
as well since I am on 30m amateur band a lot and although the bands are nowadays
considered 'shared' with other services, it amazes me that the military or
whichever user can't move a few dozen kHz up the band.

Regards,

Michael

msg January 6th 08 06:32 PM

Digital mode on 10426.5 kHz

A follow-up:
(see comments below)

msg wrote:

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:

"msg" wrote in message

[...]

Regarding the rtty at ~10131 kHz:
Likely NATO KG84/STANAG 4481; I suppose it was there before the ham allocations
on 30m. See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UDXF/message/4423

Michael

msg January 7th 08 04:42 PM

Digital mode on 10426.5 kHz

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:
"msg" wrote in message

A follow-up:
(see comments below)

msg wrote:

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:

"msg" wrote in message

There is a digital transmission on 10426.5 kHz almost continuously,
every
day; FSK with about 875 Hz shift, about 100 baud or so, won't decode
with
any s/w that I have.

snip

I show it centered at 10428.
Comes in pretty strong evenings in socal.
Looks like 75 baud.

http://www.chace-ortiz.org/umc/db/modes/kg84c.txt
says:
Feb 7, 2000 2304 10428.00 ??? NATO Mil, ??? 75bd/850 FSK,
KG84 crypto

Thanks for this link; when it comes to digital modes, one can never be
sure of
the carrier center freq when one does not know the mark/space freqs.,
etc.

Does your radio have digital tuning? Have you
used any of the computer programs that have
waterfall displays?

snip

Yes and yes; the center freq (accurate to 1 Hz) that I gave put the space
freq. at 1500 Hz (as a convenient reference) and the shift that I reported
was from a waterfall display. The S/N wasn't too good that day and my
eyeball averaging could have been off some, or the signal could have been
at 100 baud/850 FSK as some logs on UDFX suggest that it is on occasion.

Regards,

Michael