RadioBanter

-   -   PAR Shortwave Antenna? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/130780-re-par-shortwave-antenna.html)

RHF February 25th 08 08:26 PM

PAR Shortwave Antenna?

On Feb 25, 7:59*am, "Mike M." wrote:
-
- Hello,
- Anyone use *one of these receiving only antennas?
- This is the 45 foot omnidirectional unit.
- Mike
-

Mike M,

The Par End-Fed Shortwave Listener (EF-SWL) Antenna is
a very good design and well constructed for an all around
Antenna for both AM/MW BCL'ing and SWL'ing. Gives good a
ll-around Shortwave Band reception and works well on the
AM/MW Band Antenna too. [ 500 kHz to 30 MHz ]
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...68cb105b4a370b

The Par Electronics EF-SWL Antenna can be Rigged
{Set-Up} with a 15 Foot Vertical-Up-Leg and a 30 Foot
Horizontal-Out-Arm to form an Inverted "L" Antenna
using a Coax Cable feed-in-line and remote Ground Rod.
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html

Diagram {Sketch} Inverted "L" Antenna
----------------------------------------o

x=====================C

" - " Horizontal-Out-Arm part of the Wire Antenna Element
" | " Vertical-Up-Leg part of the Wire Antenna Element
" x " 9:1 Matching Transformer
" = " Coax Cable
" C " PL-259 Plug to the Radio / Receiver

NOTE - This configuration {shape} of Antenna is commonly
called an Inverted "L" Antenna and lends it self to Low Noise
installation concepts : The Par EF-SWL Antenna lends itself
to this 'small' Inverted "L" Antenna Rigging and it is only
45 Feet Long and includes the Wire Antenna Element and
Matching Transformer - Just add Ground Rod plus Coax Cable
and you are ready to Rig-It and Enjoy Listing to your Radios.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...f41e85486b0ed9

PLUS - Here are Two more Messages to Read related to the
Par Electronics End-Fed Shortwave Listener (EF-SWL) Antenna :

* Concerning the Building of an Inverted "L" Antenna
for Shortwave Listening using the Par Electronics
End-Fed Shortwave Listener (EF-SWL) Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a68a64cf6d8a00

* Par End-Fed Shortwave Listener (EF-SWL) Antenna
and FlexWeave Antenna Wire
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...ba52d7f611b597

THE NEXT STEP -Read- This Message and Follow the Links :
SWL Longwire + Low Noise Antenna Connection
+ Grounding Is Key To Good Reception -by- John Doty
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bc6a2bf8acc12d

SEARCH RESULTS of the "Rec.Radio.Shortwave" Newsgroup
for [ par + ef + swl + antenna ] by myself RHF
PAR EF-SWL - http://tinyurl.com/2qnsxo

Mike M. - I do Hope that this Information and these Links
Help You in your Quest for Knowledge and Understanding
of the Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Hobby.

Koikus February 26th 08 07:34 PM

PAR Shortwave Antenna?

Thank you very much for all the links regarding this antenna. I really
appreciate that. After reading reviews of the EF-SWL this afternoon, I
tend to think this might be ideal for me here in this limited/workable
location. 73, Kirk

RHF February 28th 08 11:31 AM

Par End-Fed Shortwave Listener (EF-SWL) Antenna +ALM . . .

On Feb 25, 6:10 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

RHF wrote:
On Feb 25, 7:59 am, "Mike M." wrote:
-
- Hello,
- Anyone use one of these receiving only antennas?
- This is the 45 foot omnidirectional unit.
- Mike
-

Mike M,

- - The Par End-Fed Shortwave Listener (EF-SWL) Antenna is
-
- SNIP
-
- Dear Mike,
-
- RFI does not know jack and has never used this antenna.
-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California
-

Telamon,

I am 'glad' that you Posted this Reply -because- It gives
me a chance to add to my previous comments concerning
the Par End-Fed Shortwave Listener (EF-SWL) Antenna :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...eb2ae9ea9496eb

Now =WRT= My actually using the Par End-Fed Shortwave
Listener (EF-SWL) Antenna :

Q # 1 - Am I presently using a Par EF-SWL Antenna ? - No.

Q # 2 - Have I / Did I use the Par EF-SWL Antenna in the Past ? -
YES.

Q # 3 - Did I attempt to Answer the Newbies Question ? - YES.

Q # 4 - Did You attempt to answer the Newbies Question ? - No.
[ Instead You Attacked Me and Poluted This Thread. ]

OBTW - One of my next SWL Antenna Projects is to take
one of my Par EF-SWL Antennas {I own 3 of them}
-ps- That is why I recommend them.
-but- I like to 'tinker' with Antennas a lot : So one goes-up
and another comes-down in the Space Available.

MODIFYING - The Par End-Fed Shortwave Listener (EF-SWL)
Antenna with a Longer Wire Antenna.

REMOVE - The 45 Feet of FlexWeave Antenna Wire and replace
it with around 200 Feet of the same FlexWeave Antenna Wire.

FlexWeave Antenna Wire AWG 14 in 100 Foot lengths.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/cable/4608.html
Note - Bare Copper Wire without Insulation.

More about FLEX-WEAVE Ultra-Flexible Antenna / Aerial Wire
FLEX-WEAVE = http://www.davisrf.com/flexweve.php

FWIW - FlexWeave Antenna Wire is not Litzendraht [LITZ] Wire
-but- for Shortwave Radio Listeners (SWLs) it comes 'close'
and is much Stronger and Weather resistant.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...c5cefd34d2dbe2

USE - The Par EF-SWL Antenna's Matching Transformer
with the longer Wire Antenna Element and see {Hear} how
it works. But I have to have the Cover's De-Limb and Top
a Dead ~65 Foot Tall Cedar Tree first. Figure I can get a
Rigging Point about 50 AGL from It. Have them Top it at
~6 Inch Diameter and mount a Pully with a Rope within
a Foot of the Top.

Note - The Cedar Tree is about 85 Feet from the House.

Run Buried Coax Cable from the House to the Cedar Tree.

Place an 8 Foot Ground Rod at the Base of the Cedar Tree.

Mount the Par Matching Transformer (MT) near/on the
Ground Rod.

Rig the Wire Antenna Element from the MT to the Top
of the Cedar Tree and across to a Pine Tree a little less
than 200 Feet away {Due West}

BUT - There is almost always a "But" ;-{ There is another
SWL Antenna 'project' in front of the The Long Par EF-SWL
Antenna Project. I simply involves swapping-out the RF
Junkie 9:1 Matching Transformer with a WinRadio Long
Wire Antenna Adapter to see how it works -cause- it is
'claimed' that this Dual-Ferrite Core MT is better across
the Bands from 100 kHz to 30 MHz then the more common
Single Ferrite Core MTs. The swap-out also requires that
the Coax Cable be changed and some Working-on-a-Ladder.
Maybe Weather permitting; I can get this project completed
in March and report on it here.
Note - The present 100 Foot Wire Antenna Element will
stay for this swap-out. It is an Inverted "L" with a 25 Foot
Vertical-Up-Leg and a 75 Foot Horizontal-Out-Arm; running
Due West about 25 Feet AGL down a Slope.
Note - The Wire Antenna Element is an Litz Wire made of
13 Strands of # 30 AWG with 24 Twists-per-Foot using
Polyurethane-Nylon Film {Coating} to Insulating the Individual
Strands; which requires that each of the Strands be Soldered
to 'connect' all the Strand together to effective use each
Strand in the Wire Antenna Element at the MT.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ370021288406
http://www.wiretron.com/litz.html
Note - The Far-End {in-free-air} of the Wire Antenna Element
has the 13 Strands Fanned-Out in 2 Inch Circle to Bleed Static
'off' the Element.

Telamon - Once Again TYVM for your Reply -because-
It gave me a chance to add to my previous comments
concerning the Par End-Fed Shortwave Listener
(EF-SWL) Antenna.

-ps- telamon - i may not know 'jack'
but i sure do know 'you' {telamon} ~ RHF

Telamon March 1st 08 01:01 AM

Par End-Fed Shortwave Listener (EF-SWL) Antenna +ALM . . .

In article
,
RHF wrote:

On Feb 25, 6:10 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

RHF wrote:
On Feb 25, 7:59 am, "Mike M." wrote:
-
- Hello,
- Anyone use one of these receiving only antennas?
- This is the 45 foot omnidirectional unit.
- Mike
-

Mike M,

- - The Par End-Fed Shortwave Listener (EF-SWL) Antenna is
-
- SNIP
-
- Dear Mike,
-
- RFI does not know jack and has never used this antenna.
-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California
-

Telamon,

I am 'glad' that you Posted this Reply -because- It gives
me a chance to

SNIP

Spam the news group with your crap again.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California