RadioBanter

-   -   Good outdoor omni-directional fm antenna ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/131154-good-outdoor-omni-directional-fm-antenna.html)

James March 7th 08 12:12 AM

Good outdoor omni-directional fm antenna ?

Who makes a good outdoor, omni-directional fm antenna ?

I prefer to use RG6 as the lead in, and I definitely need an
omni-directional antenna.

Radio Shack used to make a dual element, folded dipole outside fm antenna,
but I don't find it on their website.

Thanks for any tips !!

James

Brenda Ann March 7th 08 12:38 AM

"James" no wrote in message
Who makes a good outdoor, omni-directional fm antenna ?

I prefer to use RG6 as the lead in, and I definitely need an
omni-directional antenna.

Radio Shack used to make a dual element, folded dipole outside fm antenna,
but I don't find it on their website.

Thanks for any tips !!

James

I'll probably get flamed here... but there is really no such thing as a good
omnidirectional FM antenna. None of them have any multipath rejection
whatsoever, and since multipath is most likely what you're trying to
alleviate, you're just as likely as not to end up with just as bad a signal
(stronger, yes, but no less garbled and noisy) as you would have with your
indoor antenna. In fact, a cheap pair of rabbit ears will usually outperform
one of those turnstiles, unless you live in a perfectly flat area with no
surrounding tall structures.

Burr March 7th 08 01:43 AM

Good outdoor omni-directional fm antenna ?

"Brenda Ann"

I'll probably get flamed here... but there is really no such thing as a
good omnidirectional FM antenna. None of them have any multipath
rejection whatsoever, and since multipath is most likely what you're
trying to alleviate, you're just as likely as not to end up with just as
bad a signal (stronger, yes, but no less garbled and noisy) as you would
have with your indoor antenna. In fact, a cheap pair of rabbit ears will
usually outperform one of those turnstiles, unless you live in a perfectly
flat area with no surrounding tall structures.

Flame, Flame & Flamed

Burr

Burr March 7th 08 01:45 AM

Good outdoor omni-directional fm antenna ?

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"James" no wrote in message

Damn "Cross Poster"!!!

Burr

Telamon March 7th 08 02:58 AM

Good outdoor omni-directional fm antenna ?

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

"James" no wrote in message
[...]

No flames. The radio shack antenna is a turnstile. Basically two folded
dipoles at 90 degrees to each other with cross feed.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF March 7th 08 03:52 AM

Good outdoor omni-directional fm antenna ?

On Mar 6, 5:43*pm, "Burr" wrote:
"Brenda Ann"

I'll probably get flamed here... but there is really no such thing as a
good omnidirectional FM antenna. *None of them have any multipath
rejection whatsoever, and since multipath is most likely what you're
trying to alleviate, you're just as likely as not to end up with just as
bad a signal (stronger, yes, but no less garbled and noisy) as you would
have with your indoor antenna. In fact, a cheap pair of rabbit ears will
usually outperform one of those turnstiles, unless you live in a perfectly
flat area with no surrounding tall structures.

- Flame, Flame & Flamed
-
- Burr

Burr - Charbroiled will do- i am an old 'toasty' ~ RHF

JBorg, Jr. March 7th 08 04:16 AM

Good outdoor omni-directional fm antenna ?

Brenda Ann wrote:
James wrote

[...]

A few years ago, I bought a Cambridge Tuner that came with flexible
dipole (wire) antenna. I also bought a Magnum Dynalab - ST-2 FM
Omnidirectional Antenna shown he

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MDST2

Guess what, indoor, the flexible dipole beats the ST-2 hands down in
everyway. No contest.

Two weeks later, the APS-13 antenna I have ordered arrived.

http://www.antennaperformance.com/

Then went to Fry's and bought a rotor with wire-dial control, a
pole (2) and RG6 cable (I'm sure) at high-end store. Then installed
them on the roof by fastening on the chimney and came down to listen.

If there is such thing as miracle on the roof, THIS is IT.

I caught so many stations that I begun to loose count after 105.
I first started listing them one at the time earnestly for the next 4 or 5
days, and then got tired. If I turn the antenna's rotor using the control
at, say, 180 degrees, I'd get an altogether different station -- in the
same dial! They're all clear except when it's overcast. The stations
that comes clear nearby, comes clearer. I get stations from as far as
75 to 100 miles and perhaps farther than I care to know. I dreaded it
each time I came accross and saw this (unfinished) list 'cause I feel
guilty. I really don't wanna do that anymore.

dxAce March 7th 08 09:08 AM

Good outdoor omni-directional fm antenna ?

"JBorg, Jr." wrote:

Brenda Ann wrote:
James wrote

[...]

I picked up a new Radio Shack 6 element FM antenna for $5 and a new Radio Shack
rotor last year for $20. I'm looking forward to putting the system together this
spring just to see just what I'll be able to pick up.

James March 7th 08 11:04 AM

Good outdoor omni-directional fm antenna ?

Thanks RHF, and to all other commentators !!

James

Burr March 7th 08 11:23 AM

"James" no wrote in message
Thanks RHF, and to all other commentators !!

James

Se Telamon, he like Roy better then you!!!

Burr

But then Roy didn't have all that sig block.