RadioBanter

-   -   Antenna Switch and MW Coverage (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/131262-antenna-switch-mw-coverage.html)

[email protected] March 9th 08 08:51 PM

Antenna Switch and MW Coverage

I'm looking for an antenna switch (2 antennas, 1 receiver) and I've
noticed that many are rated for 1.8-30 MHz, such as the MFJ models.
Are these typically attenuating the MW band, or can they be used
efficiently down to 500khz?

-Brian

RHF March 9th 08 11:05 PM

Shortwave Radio Antenna Switch and AM/MW Band Coverage

On Mar 9, 1:51 pm, wrote:
Subject -was- Antenna Switch and MW Coverage
-
- I'm looking for an antenna switch (2 antennas, 1 receiver)
- and I've noticed that many are rated for 1.8-30 MHz, such
- as the MFJ models.
-
- Are these typically attenuating the MW band,
- or can they be used efficiently down to 500khz?
-
- -Brian
-

Brian,

Shortwave Radio Antenna Switch and AM/MW Band Coverage

The problem is not on the Lower-Side below 1.8 MHz : The
actual 'problem' will manifest itself on the Higher Side lets
say beyond 300 MHz [VHF]. They all work great for the
AM/MW Radio Broadcast Band (BCB) 500 kHz to 1.8 MHz;
and all the way down into the Long-Wave Radio {Low
Frequency Band}.
http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=6887&rendTypeId=4
http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=4621&rendTypeId=4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Wave
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_wave

Note - The MFJ Antenna Switches all have a greater-than
50 dB Isolation at 500 MHz.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch/2811.html

MATTER-OF-FACT - For the most part it ain't a 'problem'
at all since these Switches are designed and being sold to
High Frequency {Shortwave} Radio Users and Listeners.
The 1.8 MHz to 30 MHz Frequency Coverage Specification
is simply stated to communicate to them that the device is
good for the entire High Frequency {Shortwave Radio} Band.

The vast majority of these devices are fitted with SO-239
Jacks to accept PL-259 Plugs; that themselves are fitted
to RG-8 & RG58 and their 'variations' of Coax Cables which
is/was widely used in the AM/MW Radio Applications.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10base5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

Read this Message Thread :
Antenna Switches - What's In Your Radio Shack ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...3e12e98f1a6b8a

Coax Switching Boxes Opinions ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bde2a6f7a3aede

One Antenna and Two Radios = One Antenna Switch ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...3d96b7a4b7af4b

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf

Ian Jackson[_2_] March 10th 08 01:43 PM

Antenna Switch and MW Coverage

In message
,
writes
I'm looking for an antenna switch (2 antennas, 1 receiver) and I've
noticed that many are rated for 1.8-30 MHz, such as the MFJ models.
Are these typically attenuating the MW band, or can they be used
efficiently down to 500khz?

-Brian

If it's just for receiving, most cable TV A/B switches are more than
adequate. The normal frequency range is DC to at least 870MHz (and will
work well above), and they are inexpensive (a few dollars/pounds).

What you're looking at is probably the spec for a unit which is suitable
for transmitting, and 1.8MHz is the lowest frequency in common use by
radio amateurs. This switch probably also works down to DC, but no one
at MFJ has actually bother to measure it!
--
Ian

Brian[_6_] March 11th 08 12:35 AM

Antenna Switch and MW Coverage

On Mar 10, 9:43 am, Ian Jackson
wrote:

What you're looking at is probably the spec for a unit which is suitable
for transmitting, and 1.8MHz is the lowest frequency in common use by
radio amateurs. This switch probably also works down to DC, but no one
at MFJ has actually bother to measure it!
--
Ian

Thanks Roy and Ian, for the responses. I figured it'd be fine, but
just needed the a little moral support.

-Brian

Telamon March 11th 08 01:44 AM

Shortwave Radio Antenna Switch and AM/MW Band Coverage

In article
,
RHF wrote:

On Mar 9, 1:51 pm, wrote:
Subject -was- Antenna Switch and MW Coverage
-
- I'm looking for an antenna switch (2 antennas, 1 receiver)
- and I've noticed that many are rated for 1.8-30 MHz, such
- as the MFJ models.
-
- Are these typically attenuating the MW band,
- or can they be used efficiently down to 500khz?
-
- -Brian
-

Brian,

Shortwave Radio Antenna Switch and AM/MW Band Coverage

SNIP

You sure wrote a bunch of crap for a simple question.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon March 12th 08 01:20 AM

Shortwave Radio Antenna Switch and AM/MW Band Coverage

In article
,
RHF wrote:

On Mar 10, 6:44*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*RHF wrote:
On Mar 9, 1:51 pm, wrote:
Subject -was- Antenna Switch and MW Coverage
-
- I'm looking for an antenna switch (2 antennas, 1 receiver)
- and I've noticed that many are rated for 1.8-30 MHz, such
- as the MFJ models.
-
- Are these typically attenuating the MW band,
- or can they be used efficiently down to 500khz?
-
- -Brian
-

Brian,

- - Shortwave Radio Antenna Switch and AM/MW Band Coverage
-
- SNIP
-
- You sure wrote a bunch of crap for a simple question.
-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -
-

Telamon,

Here is the Original Post : Antenna Switch and MW Coverage

SNIP

I'll just snip the reposted crap for you.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California