RadioBanter

-   -   The Bottom Line & Radio's Future (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/131390-re-bottom-line-radios-future.html)

Scooter March 13th 08 05:14 PM

The Bottom Line & Radio's Future

I've survived 18 years of radio. Went through consolidation years too. Buddy
hold onto your shorts because change is coming to radio, again! The industry
will find ways to survive what's on the horizon as long as ownership can
still make money selling ads you'll have free over the air radio. If you
enjoy 10 or more commercials back to back and same old same old programming
more power to you man. I urge you to shop their advertisers and tell
retailers you heard their ads on the radio. And when Arbitron comes knocking
agree to participate in their radio surveys for $2.00. You can't just
listen. If you do the above you'll save radio. Frankly, most people just
don't care. Survey response has also been trending down, because people
don't have time.

Arbitron survey response trending down.

Revenues flat and trending down.

listenership trending down.

Sales of Iboc receivers "radio's future" DOA compared to sales Ipods and
other gadgets.

D Peter Maus March 13th 08 06:01 PM

Scooter wrote:

Arbitron survey response trending down.

This is one of the things PPM is intended obviate.

Scooter March 13th 08 07:45 PM

The Bottom Line & Radio's Future

Some of the PPM studies are interesting. # 1 Urban stations are now # 17
with PPM. Aribtron is still struggling with landing enough samplings even
with PPM. More people are listening with PPM cume is up!

In Jacksonville, market 47 with a million people surveys are based on 535 in
tab. last 4 books it was trending down. Fewer and fewer women are willing to
take the survey too. PPM should help with these issues.. though it may show
more people are listening and spending less time with radio. Audience
sharing will be up too. interesting times are ahead. Arbitron breaks down
audience sharing. Of 100,000 weekly cume almost 95% of my stations audience
was being shared with multiple formats. 5000 or so cume listeners were
exclusive.
This of course is all based on those stupid diaries!