RadioBanter

-   -   Buying a used Kenwood R-5000 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/131742-re-buying-used-kenwood-r-5000-a.html)

Drifter March 23rd 08 02:10 PM

Buying a used Kenwood R-5000

denny wrote:
I have a chance to buy a used Kenwood R-5000 receiver. I wanted to ask
if anyone has an R-5000 and how they like it (both pros and cons). I
was also thinking of either an Icom IC-R71 or Drake R8B as well. Any
thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Denny Dollahon.

Denny, you may want to join the yahoo R5K group before you buy.
it's a great radio, but has age trouble. the read-out can go
south on some. i have one here wit all the bells and such. i
enjoy it sometimes. it's a great broadcast rig, not so much
a DXer radio. i would go with the Drake, if you want a do-it
all receiver. the R8B is a great workhorse, that won't cost
you an arm and a leg for repairs. myself, before i buy a used
radio, i read the yahoo group. one of the best places for info
on the web. YMMV.

Drifter...

--
"Regulatory capitalism is when companies invest in lawyers, lobbyists,
and politicians, instead of plant, people, and customer service."

dxAce March 23rd 08 02:15 PM

Buying a used Kenwood R-5000

Drifter wrote:

denny wrote:
I have a chance to buy a used Kenwood R-5000 receiver. I wanted to ask
if anyone has an R-5000 and how they like it (both pros and cons). I
was also thinking of either an Icom IC-R71 or Drake R8B as well. Any
thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Denny Dollahon.

Denny, you may want to join the yahoo R5K group before you buy.
it's a great radio, but has age trouble. the read-out can go
south on some. i have one here wit all the bells and such. i
enjoy it sometimes. it's a great broadcast rig, not so much
a DXer radio. i would go with the Drake, if you want a do-it
all receiver. the R8B is a great workhorse, that won't cost
you an arm and a leg for repairs. myself, before i buy a used
radio, i read the yahoo group. one of the best places for info
on the web. YMMV.

Had one for a few years. Nice audio. The stock 6 kHz filter had to be replaced
due to poor shape factor. As you say, they apparently suffer with age, keypad
problems are one of them.