RadioBanter

-   -   Passport rating for Kenwood R-5000 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/131776-passport-rating-kenwood-r-5000-a.html)

denny March 24th 08 11:47 PM

Passport rating for Kenwood R-5000

Does anyone in the group have either a 1987 to 1997 copy of "Passport
to World band Radio",
or a copy of a Passport RDI white paper on the Kenwood R-5000? I am
curious of how they rated it and how many stars (out of 5 total) it
was given. Denny Dollahon.

Jim Driscoll March 25th 08 01:25 AM

Passport rating for Kenwood R-5000

In 1995, Passport gave it 4 1/2 stars, noting that the core technology was
ageing and that it lacked SSB and featured so-so bandwidth filters
(upgradeable). Positive comments noted its capacity to handle "tough
signals" and superior audio through an outboard speaker. The Drake R8 and
the NRD-535 were the five-star choices that year.

BDK[_3_] March 25th 08 06:21 AM

Passport rating for Kenwood R-5000

In article ,
says...
I've owned several and they are excellent SW receivers. Very sensitive and
selective. Very good value if you can pick one up around the $200 range.
They do have a tendency of developing CPU problems that get worse over time,
so make sure the radio works 100% before you buy.

"denny" wrote in message

Does anyone in the group have either a 1987 to 1997 copy of "Passport
to World band Radio",
or a copy of a Passport RDI white paper on the Kenwood R-5000? I am
curious of how they rated it and how many stars (out of 5 total) it
was given. Denny Dollahon.

$200?

I wish.

BDK

RHF March 25th 08 09:55 AM

"denny" wrote in message

Does anyone in the group have either a 1987 to 1997 copy of "Passport
to World band Radio",
or a copy of a Passport RDI white paper on the Kenwood R-5000? I am
curious of how they rated it and how many stars (out of 5 total) it
was given. Denny Dollahon.

- - Very good value if you can pick one up around the $200 range.

- $200?
-
- I wish.
-
- BDK
-

BDK - US$200 ? - Don't We All ! :o)

IIRC the Kenwood R-5000 Shortwave Receivers
are Bidding-Out at US$450 to US$750 on eBay.
eBAY-SEARCH-KENWOOD-R-5000 = http://tinyurl.com/5vuuc

Universal-Radio.Com - Recently SOLD Used Items
Photos - Kenwood R-5000 Shortwave Receivers
http://www.rffun.com/used/sold007.html

TIP - The Kenwood R-5000 Shortwave Receivers
can be Computer Controlled or used with an after
market SW Remote Control -if- the Keypad Bounce
becomes and Issue : Both of which can be found on
eBay and on the Web. - http://tinyurl.com/5vuuc

Kenwood R-5000 (R5000) Receiver - Information and Resources
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...99031cd875f258

some say - i would -if- i could . . .
-while- i simply say 'kenwood' ~ RHF

dxAce March 25th 08 10:31 AM

Passport rating for Kenwood R-5000

denny wrote:

On Mar 24, 9:09 pm, dxAce wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:25:08 -0400, "Jim Driscoll"
wrote:

In 1995, Passport gave it 4 1/2 stars, noting that the core technology was
ageing and that it lacked SSB and featured so-so bandwidth filters
(upgradeable). Positive comments noted its capacity to handle "tough
signals" and superior audio through an outboard speaker. The Drake R8 and
the NRD-535 were the five-star choices that year.

I thought the R-5000 did have SSB?

Yes, it does.

Did Passport also give the R-5000 the "Passport's Choice" award?

Editors Choice in 1992 5 Stars
Editors Choice in 1993 4 1/2 Stars

Radioguy March 25th 08 12:37 PM

"denny" wrote in message

Does anyone in the group have either a 1987 to 1997 copy of "Passport
to World band Radio",
or a copy of a Passport RDI white paper on the Kenwood R-5000? I am
curious of how they rated it and how many stars (out of 5 total) it
was given. Denny Dollahon.- Hide quoted text -

Actually when the White Paper was written in 1987 or thereabouts the
R5000 was given 5 stars.

Radioguy March 25th 08 12:37 PM

On Mar 24, 7:47*pm, denny wrote:
Does anyone in the group have either a 1987 to 1997 copy of "Passport
to World band Radio",
or a copy of a Passport RDI white paper on the Kenwood R-5000? I am
curious of how they rated it and how many stars (out of 5 total) it
was given. Denny Dollahon.

The R-5000 was given 5 stars in 1987

Mark Zenier March 25th 08 05:48 PM

Passport rating for Kenwood R-5000

In article ,
denny wrote:
Thank you for the help. How were the ergonomics, and did it receive a
"Passport's Choice" award? Denny.

In the 1991 edition

five stars, Editor's Choice

"Disadvantages: Ergonomics only fair, especially keypad. Mediocre wide
bandwidth filter supplied with set. ...."

Mark Zenier

Drakefan March 28th 08 05:17 AM

bdenley wrote:

Lacks SSB? the R-5000? You must have read it wrong.

He probably meant it lacks a 'sync-detector', which is one reason it's
technology was seen as aging.