RadioBanter

-   -   Future of DRM on SW? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/135426-future-drm-sw.html)

KaitoWRX911 July 30th 08 10:13 PM

Future of DRM on SW?

"Why don't you use DRM on Shortwave?"

DRM is the acronym of Digital Radio Mondiale, a new technology
intended to offer digital, almost FM, quality to Shortwave, Long Wave
and Medium Wave (AM) broadcasts. Unfortunately DRM is incompatible
with ordinary Shortwave radios and requires buying new receivers, that
are not currently available in mass production, or at a cost that is
anywhere close to a conventional, analogue Shortwave receiver. Some
DRM receivers requires a PC and a special device to listen to DRM
signals.

Our transmitters are DRM capable, and we already run preliminary tests
with our own developed DRM encoders. We are ready to broadcast using
DRM at any time, but unfortunately there are no mass produced
receivers for our listeners to buy at a decent price, and - most
importantly - there are no listeners for DRM at present.

DRM is a very promising technology, has a 2-3 year delay over original
plans, and it is still confined as a technological experiment. Will it
be successful, meaning that we will see soon lots of listeners
embracing it? Ask the man in the street: unfortunately marketing
efforts to create awareness of this new potential media have not been
started yet.

Some large companies are pushing DRM by convincing program producers
and broadcasters to start airing in DRM ahead of time, but unless
there is mass availability and penetration of receivers on the
listeners side, this will remain - unfortunately - a technological
experiment, and broadcasters using it to reach their listeners now,
are clearly throwing their money out of the window.

Similar "experiments" were run in the past using analogue & digital
satellite radio and WorldSpace. They failed miserably in reaching an
audience for different reasons.

We have been following with great interest the development of DRM, and
as soon as one of our members send us a request to start DRM
broadcasts we will do it. Currently we advise them to wait and see
until there are low cost receivers available in mass production, and
of course there are listeners using them.

We are still very active on conventional Shortwave and Internet
streaming, because there are listeners out-there, and there are
regions in the world where Shortwave is still popular, still listened
to. According to what we hear from missionaries in Africa, the Far and
Middle East and S America DRM will have a hard time to be popular in
those regions for some time (if ever), due to the high cost associated
in the conversion of the present Shortwave and Medium Wave receivers
to DRM capable devices.

Unfortunately we have seen something similar to DRM today happening
for satellite radio in Europe and WorldSpace, another promising
technology marketed initially for listeners in Africa, and confined
for years to embassies, consulates and a bunch of rich people on that
continent.

DRM, Worldspace and satellite radio in Europe, Africa and Asia are NOT
what XM and Sirius are today in the USA. We wish they could be, maybe,
sometime in the future.

http://www.egradio.org/index.php?name=FAQ&id_cat=7

Then I ran this hit count for http://drm.org -

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/drm.org/?metric=uv

It looks almost dead. Is DRM causing much interference on SW, and does
DRM appear to be a bust? I could only find a handful of very
expensive DRM receivers. Radio Shack has indicated that they are not
interested, and Sangean put their DRM receiver on hold. Thanks...

KaitoWRX911 July 30th 08 11:59 PM

Future of DRM on SW?

On Jul 30, 5:13�pm, KaitoWRX911 wrote:
[...]

It looks like Sangean gave up on the MP40 DRM receiver:

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...ble/0040a.html

Rfburns July 31st 08 02:58 PM

Future of DRM on SW?

[...]

DRM is a waste of time and resources. To produce transmitters before
the receivers are commonly available is just plain dumb - not to
mention the fact that there's no consumer demand for it.

m II July 31st 08 04:00 PM

Future of DRM on SW?

Rfburns wrote:

DRM is a waste of time and resources. To produce transmitters before
the receivers are commonly available is just plain dumb - not to
mention the fact that there's no consumer demand for it.

Were cassette tapes widely available before before the players? Were
compact discs flooding the market before CD players were on the shelves?
Did Elvis leave the building BEFORE the performance?

I've got to run. I see my horse pushing the cart forward yet again...

mike

--
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
this filter blocks all postings with a Gmail,

http://improve-usenet.org/

KaitoWRX911 July 31st 08 04:19 PM

Future of DRM on SW?

On Jul 31, 9:58�am, Rfburns wrote:
[...]

mention the fact that there's no consumer demand for it.- Hide quoted text -

It appears that SW listeners have little interest in DRM. The hit
count on drm.org is only a couple of hundred/month, and falling.
There are only a couple of very expensive DRM receivers and they are
battery-hogs. Of couse, just as with SiPort's IBOC chip that never
materialized, Samsung's IBOC chip is a battery-hog and is too large
for devices, such as cell phones. Here is a copy of a letter that I
sent to drm.org, yesterday:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am wondering about the future of DRM - I came across this article,
which indicated that DRM is pretty much DOA:

"Why don't you use DRM on Shortwave?"

"Some large companies are pushing DRM by convincing program producers
and broadcasters to start airing in DRM ahead of time, but unless
there is mass availability and penetration of receivers on the
listeners side, this will remain - unfortunately - a technological
experiment, and broadcasters using it to reach their listeners now,
are clearly throwing their money out of the window."

http://www.egradio.org/index.php?name=FAQ&id_cat=7

Then, I ran this website traffic analysis of http://drm.org -

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/drm.org/?metric=uv

It looks almost dead. I understand that DRM is causing interference
on SW, as is HD Radio/IBOC on AM/FM in the US. I could only find a
handful of very expensive DRM receivers. Radio Shack has indicated
that they are not interested, and Sangean has put their DRM MP40
receiver on hold. Any thoughts?

If you look at the drm.og website, the hyped picture of the girl
listening to DRM appears to be almost a mirror image of the
fraudulently hyped pictures on iBiquity's and HD Radio Alliance's
websites.

RHF July 31st 08 06:38 PM

The Future of New Radio Technologies . . .

On Jul 31, 6:58*am, Rfburns wrote:
[...]

D'Oh ! - Chicken-or-Egg - Which Came First ?

The Future of New Radio Technologies . . .
Will Radio Stagnate and Die as a Popular Public Meda ?
Or - Will Radio Embrace New Technology and Survive ?

But your are right; without a Natural Path of Migration
DRM is subject to slow or no grow {is doa}.

-IF- the European Grovernments are 'committed' to DRM :
Then they should have mandated that all new AM/FM
Shortwave Radios that are made or imported into Europe
are fully DRM Capable.

Note - That also goes for RDS and DAB Eureka 147
in the EU too.

Radio (TV) functions well as a commonly available Public
Media : When there is a 'balance' between Number of
Broadcasters {Amount of Broadcasting and Number of
Receivers and Radio Listeners.

For Radio as a Media the Car and Truck are the best
method of introducing 'the public' to new forms of Radio.
People change / exchange their Cars and Trucks more
often then they replace / buy a new Radio. This applies
equally as well to RDS, DRM, DAB Eureka 147, and
IBOC HD-Radio as new forms of Radio.

The swiftest Natural Path of Migration for new forms of
Radio is Government Mandates for Standard Receivers
with priority implementation in Car and Truck Radio by
a given date/year.
* Once this "Mandate" occurs; the Number the newly
manufactured New Technology Radios increases with
each Year.
* The Cost of these New Technology Radios decreases
with each Year.
* The Public Adapts to and Uses the New Technology
Radios more and more with each passing Year.
Note - Government Mandates are done in the Public
Interest for the general good of a society.

Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) - Eureka 147
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting

Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Radio_Mondiale

Radio Data System (RDS)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

In-Band On-Channel (IBOC) -aka- HD-Radio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-band_on-channel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Radio

KaitoWRX911 July 31st 08 07:10 PM

On Jul 31, 1:38�pm, RHF wrote:
[...]

�.
CopyRight � RHF {Radio High Frequency} All Rights Reserved.
�.
Fair Use Notice : This Entire Message in Part or Entirety
may be Copied and Reposted on/in All Media : Provided
the Source the "Rec.Radio.Shortwave" Newsgroup and
the Author RHF {Radio High Frequency} are both identified.

"-IF- the European Grovernments are 'committed' to DRM :
Then they should have mandated that all new AM/FM
Shortwave Radios that are made or imported into Europe
are fully DRM Capable."

Good-luck with that one - mandating a technology that consumers don't
want would never work. Good-luck convincing China to stop building $10
- $25 SW radios, wich readilly sell, and start building expensive $200
- $300 DRM SW receivers that nobody wants. Goo-luck replacing the
estimated 2+ billion analog SW radios, probably many which are $10 -
$25, with $200 - $300 DRM receviers. As with HD/IBOC, good-luck with
killing off analog radio. DRM is dead:

"Death of Digital Radio Mondiale in 2008 as well?"

http://criticaldistance.blogspot.com...e-as-well.html

Besides, as with nighttime AM-HD, DRM doesn't even work with dropouts,
poor coverage, and interference.

RHF July 31st 08 07:13 PM

Future of DRM on SW?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*------------------

- If you look at the drm.og website, the hyped picture
- of the girl listening to DRM appears to be almost a
- mirror image of the fraudulently hyped pictures on
- iBiquity's and HD Radio Alliance's websites.

D'Oh ! - That's Why It's Call Advertising and Creating
a Positive Product Image. -aka- Marketing 101.

Kaito WRX911 - You sure sound like {read like} a Sock
Puppet of one of the 'other' Anti-Radio Shills. ~ RHF
http://static.flickr.com/73/199537021_258b570c5f_o.jpg

FWIW -imho- DRM as a Radio Broadcast Technology
works best intra-continental as portrayed by this DW
Radio DRM Coverage Map.
http://www.dw-world.de/image/0,,2185227_1,00.jpg

DRM on DW Radio : The Where and The When :
Receiving DW Radio in DRM in Europe
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,...199600,00.html

Dave[_17_] August 1st 08 12:02 AM

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:38:52 -0700, RHF wrote:

D'Oh ! - Chicken-or-Egg - Which Came First ?

The Future of New Radio Technologies . . . Will Radio Stagnate and Die
as a Popular Public Meda ? Or - Will Radio Embrace New Technology and
Survive ?

I think what they need to do is produce original, compelling, and
exclusive content.

KaitoWRX911 August 1st 08 03:41 AM

Future of DRM on SW?

[...]

Here is their rote response, avoiding the fact that DRM is dead:

Dear *****,

Thanks for your message to the National Association of Shortwave
Broadcasters regarding the future of DRM

For the very latest information, I would suggest that you read an
article in Radio World:

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0049/t.14743.html

Also, in the June 2008 NASB Newsletter, the above article appears,
along with another one about the status of DRM in the United States.
Go to www.shortwave.org, then click on Newsletter, then on June 2008.

For an important update on the Alaskan DRM project, see www.26mhz.us.
There are a number of items about the Alaskan project there, including
the news about the FCC approval of the two-year experimental license.

A lot will depend on the situation with DRM receivers, as the articles
indicate. However, the NASB has already conducted test transmissions
in DRM both in Europe and North America, and many of our members are
watching DRM developments with great interest.

Sincerely,

Jeff White
President, NASB
Vice Chairman, DRM USA
General Manager, WRMI Radio Miami International
175 Fontainebleau Blvd., Suite 1N4
Miami, Florida 33172 USA
Tel +1-305-559-9764 (WRMI)
Fax +1-305-559-1362