RadioBanter

-   -   Hellenedyne: a new type of regen-reflex radio (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/137534-re-hellenedyne-new-type-regen-reflex-radio.html)

Telamon October 11th 08 05:36 AM

Hellenedyne: a new type of regen-reflex radio

In article
,
wrote:

hi everyone:

first i want to say hi to everyone i used to talk to on here, even
those that knew a lot about radio but may not have got along so well
with me LOL. i have started designing small tube and transistor
radios. i rarely use "that radio" anymore as i now listen to shortwave
on my own homebrew sets. i think you will be impressed with the design
below. it is a new type of regen-reflex radio i call the Hellenedyne.
it uses a single triode in cathode follower mode at RF and in grounded
grid mode at AF. the tube i selected needs only 18 volts of plate:
safe for kids. it can be used with low-impedance earbuds for good
sound and comfort. output is high compared to Armstrong regenerators.
if you love single tube designs, solder this one up, it's only 10
parts! explaination and circuit are available at my website:

http://home.comcast.net/~phils_radio_designs/index.htm

So the R75 took a back seat to a one tube radio? Don't tell me it pulls
in polka stations as well as the R75 does. You speak blasphemy.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon October 13th 08 12:31 AM

Hellenedyne: a new type of regen-reflex radio

In article
,
wrote:

hi Telamon!

i am now heavily into vacuum tube theory and designing radios. made a
single NPN radio as well (PDF on site). i will likely sell off my
commercial radios as the noise floor can be heard on even my single
active device radios (BCB to 10 MHz). others are successfully using
the Hellenedyne up to 25 MHz. my daily listener is a multi-tube
homebrew of my own design (PDF pending). i bought a Navy LM-15 meter
from W.W.II. wow! i now understand what you meant by quality. lets not
talk about "that" radio. i can now hear all my favorite polka using a
lowely triode. :D

Good to hear from you again and that you are still having fun with the
hobby. What are you spending your time listening too these days?

I'm still a program listener kind of guy.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

elaich October 13th 08 02:59 AM

Hellenedyne: a new type of regen-reflex radio

wrote in news:496c922c-a06e-4e9b-a32a-69c2d97dd8d7
@g61g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

others are successfully using
the Hellenedyne up to 25 MHz. my daily listener is a multi-tube
homebrew of my own design (PDF pending).

I intend to build your simple little radio, if nothing else, to prove that
a one tube radio is a one tube radio. You can add regen to it, but it is
still a one tube radio. I built one in 1967 - it could get my 5,000 watt
local AMer, and that was it. Regen will help, but it can't even come close
to even an AA5 for sensitivity and selectivity.

Dave[_18_] October 13th 08 03:33 AM

elaich wrote:
wrote in news:496c922c-a06e-4e9b-a32a-69c2d97dd8d7
@g61g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

others are successfully using
the Hellenedyne up to 25 MHz. my daily listener is a multi-tube
homebrew of my own design (PDF pending).

I intend to build your simple little radio, if nothing else, to prove that
a one tube radio is a one tube radio. You can add regen to it, but it is
still a one tube radio. I built one in 1967 - it could get my 5,000 watt
local AMer, and that was it. Regen will help, but it can't even come close
to even an AA5 for sensitivity and selectivity.

Regenerative receivers have tons of gain and are very sensitive.

Brenda Ann October 13th 08 03:35 AM

"Dave" wrote in message
elaich wrote:
wrote in news:496c922c-a06e-4e9b-a32a-69c2d97dd8d7
@g61g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

others are successfully using
the Hellenedyne up to 25 MHz. my daily listener is a multi-tube
homebrew of my own design (PDF pending).

I intend to build your simple little radio, if nothing else, to prove
that a one tube radio is a one tube radio. You can add regen to it, but
it is still a one tube radio. I built one in 1967 - it could get my 5,000
watt local AMer, and that was it. Regen will help, but it can't even come
close to even an AA5 for sensitivity and selectivity.

Regenerative receivers have tons of gain and are very sensitive.

Very sensitive, not bad selectivity, but a lousy noise floor..

Billy Burpelson[_2_] October 13th 08 05:27 PM

Dave wrote:

Regenerative receivers have tons of gain and are very sensitive.

....but have poor selectivity, poor stability and radiate like crazy.
Probably explains why they became obsolete 60 or 70 years ago.

[email protected] October 13th 08 07:19 PM

Hellenedyne: a new type of regen-reflex radio

Doggy woked me up at about 5:15 AM this morning.I turned on my
radio.Howard Bloom was talking about fortunes made and lost on Tulip
flowers/bulbs, other thingys too.

Depressions come and go.I blame them all on those Crooked *******s in
U.S.Fed govt! Hang Them High!!!
cuhulin

[email protected] October 21st 08 09:28 AM

Hellenedyne: a new type of regen-reflex radio

howdy Telamon!

good hearing form you too! i'm having fun designing and building
simple (often single active device) radios. others run them in
contests. i listen to some kooks on shortwave. i would do more modern
design but it's not as fun programming PIC's, designing PCB's, and
"glueing" together chips. i would rather be winding toroids and
soldering on tube sockets.

regards,
phil :)

Telamon October 22nd 08 03:25 AM

wrote:

howdy Telamon!

good hearing form you too! i'm having fun designing and building
simple (often single active device) radios. others run them in
contests. i listen to some kooks on shortwave. i would do more modern
design but it's not as fun programming PIC's, designing PCB's, and
"glueing" together chips. i would rather be winding toroids and
soldering on tube sockets.

What are you doing with the PIC's?

Is there a reason you use that one brand and not another vendors
microcontroller?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

[email protected] November 30th 08 05:18 AM

Hellenedyne: a new type of regen-reflex radio

hi Telamon!

actually i was not working with PICs, i only looked into them. do you
have a favorite brand of MCU? i am not real up on them. btw, many had
trouble with my Hellenedyne so i designed a more reproducible circuit.
after much debate we figured out that the Hellenedyne was NOT working
as i thought! it may actually be a new type of detector: it is a
regenerative plate detector. i posted several PDFs. i now listen to
shortwave on a single-triode, 27 volts of plate, using modern 16-ohm
earbuds, and at normal-ish volumes!

http://home.comcast.net/~phils_radio_designs/

Happy Holidays!
phil :)