RadioBanter

-   -   The lens of history and McCain's concession speech (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/138338-lens-history-mccains-concession-speech.html)

[email protected] November 6th 08 10:50 PM

The lens of history and McCain's concession speech

I wonder, 20, 30, 50, even 100 years hence, how our children and
theirs will view McCain's concession speech.

If for no other reason than Obama broke another color barrier the way
Jackie Robinson did for sports, it is likely this election will be
notable. Only the future will tell how his presidency will turn out,
but we can all as Americans hope for the best.

McCain's concession speech will also stand out, more than most, not
for the defeated candidate's well-wishing and genuinely graceful
comments (which, frankly, are expected from the losing candidate in a
democracy), but for the crowd's loud boos and unruly nastiness.

Through the lens of history, what will they say about us booing the
new President-Elect?
Will the ascribe this to naked racism? It sure looks that way from a
naive observers' point of view.

Or will it be seen as the result of hyper-partisan demonizing, where
the campaign decided to allow every smear, innuendo, and false rumor
circulating around about Obama to stir up so much anger and hate
against the man, that people would boo him before he even had a chance
to prove himself.

I just heard Rush Limbaugh making the disprovable claim that the
market crash we've been seeing for months was caused by Obama somehow
(as if actual economic conditions weren't responsible!) That's one
gigantic bucket of stupid, but then again, what else would you expect
from his Liar-for-pay ilk?

Or will there be some other interpretation besides we live in a racist
time, or McCain supporters were just unusually angry and stupid
people?

Trust me, the crowd's ungracious mob behavior will reflect badly on us
for generations to come.

Bob Campbell November 6th 08 10:58 PM

wrote in message
Through the lens of history, what will they say about us booing the
new President-Elect?
Will the ascribe this to naked racism? It sure looks that way from a
naive observers' point of view.

They should view it the same way as they view the massive booing that
occurred when Gore finally conceded in 2000. There was lots of booing of
the President-Elect then also.

It is simply whiners who don't know how to act when they lose.

dxAce November 6th 08 11:17 PM

wrote:

I wonder, 20, 30, 50, even 100 years hence, how our children and
theirs will view McCain's concession speech.

If for no other reason than Obama broke another color barrier the way
Jackie Robinson did for sports, it is likely this election will be
notable. Only the future will tell how his presidency will turn out,
but we can all as Americans hope for the best.

McCain's concession speech will also stand out, more than most, not
for the defeated candidate's well-wishing and genuinely graceful
comments (which, frankly, are expected from the losing candidate in a
democracy), but for the crowd's loud boos and unruly nastiness.

Through the lens of history, what will they say about us booing the
new President-Elect?
Will the ascribe this to naked racism? It sure looks that way from a
naive observers' point of view.

Yes you are indeed naive. Obama was being, and will be, booed because of his
Liberal/Democrat/Marxist policy ideas. Not necessarily because anyone is racist.

However, that is the spin that the Liberal/Democrat/Marxists will place on ANY
opposition to his policy objectives.

[email protected] November 7th 08 01:01 AM

On Nov 6, 5:17*pm, dxAce wrote:
wrote:
[...]

opposition to his policy objectives.- Hide quoted text -

Nein, nein! der Führer sagt das ist sehr verboten

Heil Hitler!

BCBlazysusan November 7th 08 01:18 PM

On Nov 6, 5:50*pm, wrote:
[...]

Oh thank you Google Archives, so stupidy can be shown to all years
down the road. I love archives.:-)

BCBlazysusan November 7th 08 01:38 PM

On Nov 6, 6:17*pm, dxAce wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Steve - you are wasting your time. Here's the kick IMO- they don't
even really believe 80% of what they are saying. They are media mushed
brains and have no choice because they are easily programmable by the
media. Not one of them has ever read any of the messiah's teachings,
not one of them or they would have talked about it in here when I
mentioned it. But they didn't because it was/is ass backwards from
everything he fed the awaiting mouths.They didn't decide on their own
volition - because they don't have one- they set in front of their
tv's and got on their knees and opened up their mouths real wide and
swallowed. I am really going to love this, pretty sad in a way - I'm
not really a "I told you so kinda guy"........but when I saw The
Messiah 4 yrs. ago for the first time in my life at the DMC and
watched both men and women stand there with their mouths wide open
like a baby bird does as it waits for momma (ryhmes with obama FWIW)
to vomit inside their mouths - I swear I thought people were going to
take their clothes off right there and start humpin' each other. I
KNEW - I swear I knew he was going to be the next president. How did I
know that? It is simple. Human nature and stupidity rolled up together
tightly combined with the media and late night talkshows and comedy
shows....lol. Only in Amerika - that's what makes this country great.
You got nutjob over in Iran calling Hussein already and congratulating
him.....lol.shaking my head and rolling my eyes Bring it on my pimp,
it's funny to watch his older "walk" compared to the one they've
taught him now......he's toned it down a tad - but he still can't hide
it when he really gets to a walkin'. My pimp daddy Hussein Obama....I
really am smirking as I type this because a schmuck like me knew this
four years ago. You didn't pimp me Obama, you did everyone else
though.

Snowman November 7th 08 11:18 PM

The lens of history and McCain's concession speech

On Nov 7, 12:49*am, RHF wrote:

Most likely 'history' will remember John "Smiley"
McCain as a Foot-Note being the 'guy' who LOST to
Barack Hussein Obama

or as a great senator,a war hero,and a great American!

RHF November 7th 08 11:31 PM

On Nov 7, 3:18*pm, Snowman wrote:

- -On Nov 7, 12:49*am, RHF wrote:
- - Most likely 'history' will remember John "Smiley"
- - McCain as a Foot-Note being the 'guy' who LOST to
- - Barack Hussein Obama

- or as a great senator,a war hero,and a great American!

Snowman - Yes John "Smiley" McCain is All of
those wonderful people and a lot more. ~ RHF

[email protected] November 8th 08 12:49 AM

On Nov 7, 3:31 pm, RHF wrote:
On Nov 7, 3:18 pm, Snowman wrote:

- -On Nov 7, 12:49 am, RHF wrote:
- - Most likely 'history' will remember John "Smiley"
- - McCain as a Foot-Note being the 'guy' who LOST to
- - Barack Hussein Obama

- or as a great senator,a war hero,and a great American!

Snowman - Yes John "Smiley" McCain is All of
those wonderful people and a lot more. ~ RHF
.

True enough.

I don't think John McCain has anything to fear from the judgement of
history.

But the way his followers reacted may be puzzling to future
generations. And I suspect the "easy" answer, which is simplistic,
would be to suspect the worst and blame it on race.

In actual fact, I suspect it's mostly just hyper-partisanship.
Hopefully history will understand that about us.
Still, it seems very highly unsportsmanlike.

It has to be said that Bush, who entered office promising to be a
uniter, not a divider, didn't really run into angry liberal opposition
until quite a ways into his term. You'll recall his approval rating
was up near 90% at one point. There had to be a lot of Democrats in
that 90%, or it couldn't have been 90%.

Hopefully, even those who disagree with Obama will at least give him a
chance to disprove (or prove) the claims made that he's some sort of
dangerous radical. Coming up in Chicago politics does mean schmoozing
with some questionable people, but this does not equal agreeing with
their outlooks. I firmly believe that characterization is grossly
incorrect and based on a lot of misinformation, rumor, and bias.

[email protected] November 8th 08 12:56 AM

On Nov 7, 5:38 am, BCBlazysusan wrote:
On Nov 6, 6:17 pm, dxAce wrote:

wrote:
[...]

So typical. Obama inspires people. Some who have never voted before,
or who haven't been paying attention to politics for years. And now
they're passionate.

You hate that. Unless, of course, it was Reagan doing it. Then it's
proof he's a great man.

Well, there's zero doubt Obama is more intelligent than Reagan, and
he's demonstrably more persuasive to the public than Reagan, and he's
also probably less ideological as well.

It would be amazing if an Obama term won't turn out to be a huge
improvement on Bush's legacy, at the extreme minimum.