Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 17th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default SW Question........

On Dec 16, 3:41*pm, Billy Burpelson wrote:

On older tube radios (which I presume you are referring to), the main
reason is as you have suggested: for use with a transmitter to disable
the receiver when you go into the transmit mode.

Yeah- copy that on the tube. Read my response to Brenda Ann....I'm
actually mentioning a solid state piece.

No, I don't really follow you; I'm not sure if you are talking about a
tube or solid state radio.

Solid state

On tube radios, 'standby' usually disables the B+ by lifting the
receiver power transformer secondary center tap from ground.

Leaving the radio in 'standby' for a long period of time will not hurt
the radio; it is probably good for it

When I got my first tube radio (Hammarlund 129X) a old hand made it
clear to me on that.

It's called 'feed back', not 'reverb'.

That was the term - I couldn't think of it.

Enjoy!

I very much do. ;-) Does anyone (Brenda Ann) know if the guy that
used to post here around 01-03 by the name of Bill ....is he still
around? I think he had the word "Xray" in his email or monicker? He
lived in Puerto Rico.