RadioBanter

-   -   Seeking advice (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/139735-seeking-advice.html)

gleason December 29th 08 05:16 PM

Seeking advice

Hi!

Quick question for the group.

I am looking at getting back into shortwave listening, and am
considering the Yaesu FRG-7 or the Allied SX-190.

What is the recommendation from the group???

I have had and sold several receivers:

Drake SPR-4
Kenwood R-1000
Yaesu FRG-100
Ten-Tec RX-320
Realistic DX-160
Hallicrafters S-38C

TIA

Mike[_2_] December 29th 08 08:15 PM

Seeking advice

Tough question. I think the FRG-7 is actually a better receiver, but I
was frustrated by it's lack of digital read-out. I've seen where a
number of people have added a digital frequency counter and I think
that would be best if you go the Yaesu route. Both the receivers you
mention as probably not as good as the FRG-100, the Kenwood R1000 or
the TenRex RX320 that you've previously owned.

YMMV,

Mike,
Louisville, KY

PS: Expect a nonsense post about PhDs from the group's resident
troll...

dxAce December 29th 08 08:22 PM

Seeking advice

Michael "I'm a college professor with a PhD" Bryant wrote:

Tough question. I think the FRG-7 is actually a better receiver, but I
was frustrated by it's lack of digital read-out. I've seen where a
number of people have added a digital frequency counter and I think
that would be best if you go the Yaesu route. Both the receivers you
mention as probably not as good as the FRG-100, the Kenwood R1000 or
the TenRex RX320 that you've previously owned.

YMMV,

Mike,
Louisville, KY

PS: Expect a nonsense post about PhDs from the group's resident
troll...

Nonsense? The only nonsense is you lied about having a PhD, boy.

Count Floyd[_2_] December 29th 08 08:53 PM

Seeking advice

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:16:54 UTC, gleason
wrote:

Hi!

Quick question for the group.

I am looking at getting back into shortwave listening, and am
considering the Yaesu FRG-7 or the Allied SX-190.

What is the recommendation from the group???

I have had and sold several receivers:

Drake SPR-4
Kenwood R-1000
Yaesu FRG-100
Ten-Tec RX-320
Realistic DX-160
Hallicrafters S-38C

TIA

Seems that you want to go analogue retro! I still use an S-38C,
restored, a Lafayette HE-10 and an HQ-145 for the main part of my
DX'ing on MW and rarely on SW. What about a portable? I have the
CCrane/RP-2100 that is excellent, a DX-440/Radio Shack, and an
RF-2200.
Sounds like you want something like my Heathkit StarRoamer, analogue
with iffy readout on a slide-rule dial. For the money trying to find
an FRG-7, which I had back in 82, you could buy a good boatanchor like
a Hammarlund or Hallicrafters.

Dave[_18_] December 30th 08 03:05 AM

Seeking advice

gleason wrote:
Hi!

Quick question for the group.

I am looking at getting back into shortwave listening, and am
considering the Yaesu FRG-7 or the Allied SX-190.

What is the recommendation from the group???

I have had and sold several receivers:

Drake SPR-4
Kenwood R-1000
Yaesu FRG-100
Ten-Tec RX-320
Realistic DX-160
Hallicrafters S-38C

TIA

I'd go for the Yaesu. Can you solder?

m II December 30th 08 04:18 AM

Seeking advice

Mike wrote:

Tough question. I think the FRG-7 is actually a better receiver, but I
was frustrated by it's lack of digital read-out. I've seen where a
number of people have added a digital frequency counter and I think
that would be best if you go the Yaesu route. Both the receivers you
mention as probably not as good as the FRG-100, the Kenwood R1000 or
the TenRex RX320 that you've previously owned.

The FRG tunes to 5 khz display accuracy. With a bit of practice, you
should know exactly where you are. Now, having said that, the very best
'bang for the buck' has to be the RX320. It's tunable in 1 Hz steps.
That makes SSB a real joy to listen to. I miss the real, virtual
controls, however.

As an aside, I notice that NiMh size 'D' batteries now available have a
9000 mah rating. Both the FRG7 and Grundig 800 would appreciate a set of
those. I was surprised to find that a lot of the D size cells are merely
repackaged AA cells. You have to be careful.

mike

gleason December 30th 08 07:11 AM

Seeking advice

Thanks to all replied.
Just a brief history.
In the late 50’s, I cut my teeth on an old RCA Victrola console radio/
phonograph combination. It had 3 bands:

A – special [ police, aircraft, amateur ]
B – standard AM
C – SW [ 9.3 – 15.00 ]

It had a tone and volume control, bandswitch, and that’s about all.
I had a 100’ longwire strung to a backyard tree.

I would spend hours on the floor with my ears ‘glued’ to the speaker
and listen to all the different foreign countries. I managed to QSL a
large number of them.

Agreed that the digital readout makes DXing easier, but I enjoy
‘digging’ them out [ what’s left of them anyway…! :) ]

gleason January 1st 09 04:33 PM

Seeking advice

Thanks for all the replies

I think I'll go back to the Ten-Tec RX-320.

Found one at a good price.

Plan on using Clifton Turner's software, which I had used before.

Have a SAFE & HAPPY YEAR for 2009.