Old January 29th 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default "CFL"? Dirty electric?

"Bob Dobbs" wrote in message
Even all the flashlights are all LED nowadays.

Not all, but the superior ones are. They now make Luxeon single LED
flashlights up to 10 watts (perhaps even higher) that outshine any handheld
incandescent flashlight (except perhaps the heavy duty halogen flashlights
that will only work for a few minutes on a fully charged battery) with a
very good quality white light. I have one such Luxeon flashlight with a 3
watt lamp that is about 1/3 the size of a two "D" cell flashlight that is
many times brighter and has a better beam.

Old January 29th 09, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:

No they are not the same. The old bulbs operated at 60 Hz and the new
smaller bulbs operate in the kilohertz range. The other problem is these
smaller bulbs are used closer to people increasing the UV damage.

There is no UV damage to increase. You get more UV from a few minutes
in the sun than you'd get from a year of sitting near a lamp.

That is not true according to measurements made by the British
government.

Edison base light fixtures are getting phased out; so hoarding bulbs is
silly.

No they are not. They are making the new florescence bulbs with the old
style base.

Read page 14, Sparky.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/appliances/...-29_Express_Te
rms_Part-A.pdf

I don't need to read it. The bulbs are in the stores.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 29th 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Bob Dobbs" wrote in message
Even all the flashlights are all LED nowadays.

Not all, but the superior ones are. They now make Luxeon single LED
flashlights up to 10 watts (perhaps even higher) that outshine any
handheld incandescent flashlight (except perhaps the heavy duty halogen
flashlights that will only work for a few minutes on a fully charged
battery) with a very good quality white light. I have one such Luxeon
flashlight with a 3 watt lamp that is about 1/3 the size of a two "D" cell
flashlight that is many times brighter and has a better beam.

P.S. I'm not sure how they measure the wattage. I think it may be similar to
the way CFL's are co-rated (i.e. the wattage listed is the incandescent
equivalent). Otherwise, the small batteries used would last only a very few
minutes at best.

Old January 29th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
joe joe is offline

Brenda Ann wrote:

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Bob Dobbs" wrote in message
Even all the flashlights are all LED nowadays.

Not all, but the superior ones are. They now make Luxeon single LED
flashlights up to 10 watts (perhaps even higher) that outshine any
handheld incandescent flashlight (except perhaps the heavy duty halogen
flashlights that will only work for a few minutes on a fully charged
battery) with a very good quality white light. I have one such Luxeon
flashlight with a 3 watt lamp that is about 1/3 the size of a two "D"
cell flashlight that is many times brighter and has a better beam.

P.S. I'm not sure how they measure the wattage. I think it may be similar
to the way CFL's are co-rated (i.e. the wattage listed is the incandescent
equivalent). Otherwise, the small batteries used would last only a very
few minutes at best.

Consider that a single AA battery has about a 2 watt-hour capacity. A D cell
is much more.

See:
http://www.zbattery.com/zbattery/batteryinfo.html

Battery life should be much better than your expectation.

Old January 29th 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"joe" wrote in message
Brenda Ann wrote:

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Bob Dobbs" wrote in message
[...]

2 Wh sounds awfully optomistic for a AA. These flashlights use a couple of
1000mAh li-ion batteries in series. To extend the life of the lamp, and the
useful battery life, they also use regulator circuits within the flashlight.
These can't help but use up some battery power. 1A x 6V = 6W at 1000mAh =
6W for 1 hour. For the 3W flashlight, assuming zero power wasted as heat
(which isn't true) would mean 2 hours of use. for the 10W light (uses the
same batteries), it would be about 40 minutes. Obviously, these flashlights
can be used for more than these short periods of time.

Old January 29th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
John Barnard wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article
,
Wingdingaling6 wrote:

On Jan 26, 11:21 am, Drifter wrote:
http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/glo...01.04.topStory...

http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/glo...01.04.segment0...

And you thought it only put crap in your radio. turns out
these un-researched lights can kill you. 16X9 is a 20X20
north of us. you might want to read the story and watch
the videos. and, keep your kids away from them. once again,
Big Gov goes with Big Biz, and screw the people.

Drifter...
CFL's are nothing more than screw-in fluroescent lamps loke the types
we've had since the 1930's. Remember that fluroescent tube lighting
over your head in grade school and at Woolworths store when you were a
kid? It's exactly the same thing in a CFL except the tube is a curly-
cue shape instead of a long tube. CFL's ane not dangerous same
technology we've had since the late 1930's.
No they are not the same. The old bulbs operated at 60 Hz and the new
smaller bulbs operate in the kilohertz range. The other problem is these
smaller bulbs are used closer to people increasing the UV damage.

And just how much UV do you think is actually escaping from the bulb?
You'd get way more UV from being outside on a clear day than from being
close to a CFL. If they can make CFLs to be used in a photographic lab
you know the UV light actually being emitted has to be extremely low.

The mercury plasma in the bulb emits only UV light. The phosphors on the
inside of the bulb emit visible light when struck by the UV light waves.
This is why florescent lights are biased biased toward the blue.

The light falls off as an inverse square of the distance so the smaller
bulbs closer to you give you UV light at a higher rate.

Yep, I know those particular factoids. The thing is that the phosphors
are designed to absorb the UV light and re-radiate it in the visible
range. Unless there is a problem with a section of the bulb not having
sufficient phosphor coating, the UV light getting through should be very
low.

JB

Old January 29th 09, 02:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
joe joe is offline

Brenda Ann wrote:

"joe" wrote in message
Brenda Ann wrote:

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Bob Dobbs" wrote in message
[...]

You've gone from "a very few minutes at best" to "2 hours of use". Which is
it?

A 2 watt PR3 lamp produces about the same light as a 1 watt Luxeon LED. (
About 20 lumens.)

CR3 Lithium batteries are more like 1300-1500 mAh capacity.

..

Old January 29th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : CFL's Have More Positive Pluses Then Bad

On Jan 28, 8:00*pm, John Barnard wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article ,
*John Barnard wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article
,
*Wingdingaling6 wrote:

[...]

-
- JB

CFL's Have More Positive Pluses Then Bad
Old January 29th 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : D'Oh ! - Why Won't The CFL Light Bulb Work In My Oven . . .

On Jan 28, 3:45*pm, dave wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:
Edison base light fixtures are getting phased out; *so hoarding bulbs is
silly.
First I've heard of that, all my CFLs use Edison bases.

Per someone's posting;
I informed myself about the GU-24 interface proposals
and now stand corrected.
I imagine there will be adapters available for some time to come
such that I don't have to scrap my supply of edison base CFLs.
I no longer have any incandescent environmental lighting, and the only
incandescent sources at all is the display on the Kenwood TS-2000.

- The lamps in my refrigerator and in my oven
- are still Medium Screw base incandescents.
-*That and the Festivus lights...

-was- "CFL"? Dirty electric?
Old January 29th 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : LEDs Are The Future Of Lighting -was- "CFL"? Dirty electric?

On Jan 28, 5:11*pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
"Bob Dobbs" wrote in message

Even all the flashlights are all LED nowadays.

Not all, but the superior ones are. They now make Luxeon single LED
flashlights up to 10 watts (perhaps even higher) that outshine any handheld
incandescent flashlight (except perhaps the heavy duty halogen flashlights
that will only work for a few minutes on a fully charged battery) with a
very good quality white light. I have one such Luxeon flashlight with a 3
watt lamp that is about 1/3 the size of a two "D" cell flashlight that is
many times brighter and has a better beam.

and can Shine Brightly for Hours and not
just Minutes {Less than an Hour}

LEDs are the Future of Lighting ~ RHF