RadioBanter

-   -   Best receiver for tropical bands? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/140468-re-best-receiver-tropical-bands.html)

RM MS January 27th 09 06:11 PM

Best receiver for tropical bands?

"Hmmmm... recently I've heard folks say that the Drake R8 series is too
bassy! I owned an R-5000 prior to getting the R8 and found the audio on
both to be superiour, even after listening for hours."
I am certainly not doubting anybody else's observations: just sharing
my own. I do generally agree, though, that the category of recievers
Carlos already owns can't be imptoved upon too much more for any general
listening purpose. Yes, maybe he has a hearing anomaly, maybe some radio
is a bit more selective, maybe there is a graphic equalizer or DSP he
can cobble onto it, then if that's the case, I'm afraid his next radio
may need the same accomodations. But, if he has the money and wants to
collect radios, more power to him. They are things of beauty.

carlos2007 January 28th 09 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM MS (Post 664685)
"Hmmmm... recently I've heard folks say that the Drake R8 series is too
bassy! I owned an R-5000 prior to getting the R8 and found the audio on
both to be superiour, even after listening for hours."
I am certainly not doubting anybody else's observations: just sharing
my own. I do generally agree, though, that the category of recievers
Carlos already owns can't be imptoved upon too much more for any general
listening purpose. Yes, maybe he has a hearing anomaly, maybe some radio
is a bit more selective, maybe there is a graphic equalizer or DSP he
can cobble onto it, then if that's the case, I'm afraid his next radio
may need the same accomodations. But, if he has the money and wants to
collect radios, more power to him. They are things of beauty.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Just to say that I have other two receivers
a DEGEN DE 1103 (audio upgraded) and an AOR ar5000.
I can understand perfectly the weak signals in the AOR, however in the Drake I can't. Even if I would change the stock AM filter for a Collins I think it would improve much better, but it would cost $100.
I would do it if it were not for the Drake outperfoms the AOR on HF picking up weak signals or I think that.

I will follow the advice on putting a non polarized capacitor for low cutoff frequencys when I find the right capacitor table.

Thank you again.

RM MS January 29th 09 06:00 PM

Best receiver for tropical bands?

Well, then, use the AOR for those signals, by all means.