RadioBanter

-   -   Picked up a Grundig G5 cheap today (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/140648-picked-up-grundig-g5-cheap-today.html)

SC Dxing February 4th 09 04:04 AM

Picked up a Grundig G5 cheap today

One of the Radio Shacks had a slightly damaged model they were selling
off for half price. Just a line on the display, not even a crack. So I
bought it. $75

I'll play with it for a week before giving it a complete comparison to
the Grundig G6 and Grundig S350DL but either I got a defective G6 or
the G5 is simply that much better with reception. While I never picked
up a longwave beacon on the G6, I've gotten several right off the bat
with the G5 on longwave. And yes, I can actually tune into LSB ham
radio operators now that I couldn't do with the G6. And the sound is
much better on the G5. For now, the G6 and G5 might look the same but
reception wise, they are different animals.

it's also possible that my G6 was sort of defective all along and I
didn't realize it.

I know, the G5 is being phased out......

Mike[_2_] February 4th 09 03:35 PM

On Feb 3, 10:04*pm, SC Dxing wrote:
One of the Radio Shacks had a slightly damaged model they were selling
off for half price. Just a line on the display, not even a crack. So I
bought it. $75

I'll play with it for a week before giving it a complete comparison to
the Grundig G6 and Grundig S350DL but either I got a defective G6 or
the G5 is simply that much better with reception. While I never picked
up a longwave beacon on the G6, I've gotten several right off the bat
with the G5 on longwave. And yes, I can actually tune into LSB ham
radio operators now that I couldn't do with the G6. And the sound is
much better on the G5. For now, the G6 and G5 might look the same but
reception wise, they are different animals.

it's also possible that my G6 was sort of defective all along and I
didn't realize it.

I know, the G5 is being phased out......

The G5/E5 radio is pretty impressive. I'd rank it as the second best
subcompact portable currently on the market. The Sony 7600GR beats it
by a nose, thanks to the selectable sync detector on the Sony. That's
why I'm eager to see what the G3, due out in April, will be like,
since it's supposed to include synchronous detection.

Mike
Louisville, KY

SC Dxing February 5th 09 12:57 AM

Picked up a Grundig G5 cheap today

Well one negative about the Grundig G5 is that it is subject to images
from strong signals where the G6 doesn't have em. It's not that bad
but Cuba was on 5100khz on the G5 and Russia on 6435khz last night.
Also some overloading from Family Radio at 5950 right at dusk here.
Switching the DX/local switch to local solved this though. And the
fine tuning knob for SSB, I can't tell where the center of the wheel
is supposed to be. No biggie.

Right now, I can't complain about the G5 overall though. If I paid
full price, is it worth $50 more than the G6??? Tough call.

The G6 does have it's place though, it's a great size for being
portable. And for FM, the Grundig S350DL beats both due to the large
speaker size and tone buttons.

Hopefully the new G3 will be a huge success with the synch detection
and separate LSB/USB.

Mike[_2_] February 5th 09 03:22 AM

On Feb 4, 6:57*pm, SC Dxing wrote:

Right now, I can't complain about the G5 overall though. If I paid
full price, is it worth $50 more than the G6??? Tough call.

Keep in mind that the G5/E5 is also the same radio as the Degen
DE1103. Admittedly, the ergonomics of the DE1103 are a little rough -
wasteful analog-simulated dial and no dedicated volume controls - but
the price makes the DE1103 an attractive option.

Awaiting the G3,

Mike,
Louisville, KY

SC Dxing February 5th 09 04:25 AM

Picked up a Grundig G5 cheap today

Mike,

You collect radios if I remember correctly. Have you seen this unit at
Walmart from Sangean?

Sangean America Digital AM/FM Full Shortwave World Band Radio

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10298537

I can't find anything on it.

joe February 5th 09 05:04 AM

SC Dxing wrote:

Mike,

You collect radios if I remember correctly. Have you seen this unit at
Walmart from Sangean?

Sangean America Digital AM/FM Full Shortwave World Band Radio

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10298537

I can't find anything on it.

The picture is for a different radio.

The page says the radio is not sold in stores.

The right radio:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/3505.html

The radio that matches the pictu
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr