RadioBanter

-   -   How much for Part 15, FCC Certified Low Power Station? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/141405-how-much-part-15-fcc-certified-low-power-station.html)

Von Fourche March 3rd 09 02:19 AM

How much for Part 15, FCC Certified Low Power Station?

Lets say I wanted to buy a transmitter and antenna and set up one of
those Part 15 FCC
lower power stations. How much is the equipment going to cost me? I'm not
talking about
programming, only equipment.

Thanks!

dave March 3rd 09 01:40 PM

Brenda Ann wrote:
"Von Fourche" wrote in message

Lets say I wanted to buy a transmitter and antenna and set up one of
those Part 15 FCC
lower power stations. How much is the equipment going to cost me? I'm
not talking about
programming, only equipment.

Thanks!

The most expensive part will be a decent antenna that complies (loosely) to
the FCC regulations of no more than 10' of antenna total.. this if you're
discussing Part 15 AM.

If you're talking about Part 15 FM... you may as well be playing your
programming on a phonograph/mp3 player/CD player, as turning up the volume
on any of those will get it heard farther than a Part 15 legal FM station..
the limit thereon comes out to somewhere around 10 uW and with a legal
antenna will not broadcast more than about 20-30 feet..

Whole House Gold via amazon.com

dave March 3rd 09 01:42 PM

Brenda Ann wrote:
"Von Fourche" wrote in message
m...
"Brenda Ann" wrote in message
"Von Fourche" wrote in message

Lets say I wanted to buy a transmitter and antenna and set up one of
those Part 15 FCC
lower power stations. How much is the equipment going to cost me? I'm
not talking about
programming, only equipment.

Thanks!

The most expensive part will be a decent antenna that complies (loosely)
to the FCC regulations of no more than 10' of antenna total.. this if
you're discussing Part 15 AM.

If you're talking about Part 15 FM... you may as well be playing your
programming on a phonograph/mp3 player/CD player, as turning up the
volume on any of those will get it heard farther than a Part 15 legal FM
station.. the limit thereon comes out to somewhere around 10 uW and with
a legal antenna will not broadcast more than about 20-30 feet..

20-30 feet? The guy I'm talking to said his single will be hearable for
a few miles across the city.

If he can be heard on FM more than a half a block, tops, he's not Part 15
legal. I have a 35 watt transmitter and a 5/8 wave antenna that won't cover
more than about 3 miles (of course, there are stations every 200-600 KHz
here, so there is no such thing as a clear frequency).

35 Watts on FM Broadcast is good for coverage to beyond the horizon.
That's a huge amount of power.

dave March 3rd 09 01:44 PM

How much for Part 15, FCC Certified Low Power Station?

Brenda Ann wrote:

Again, the most expenditure would be a decent, compliant antenna. These can
be purchased in kit form and are easy to assemble, but do cost between
$200-300 in some cases. They are MUCH better than your standard 10' wire,
though.

http://www.radiobrandy.com/PART15AMANTENNA.html

That's not legal. The coil windings must be included in the 10' total
for the antenna system.

dave March 3rd 09 01:45 PM

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message
"Von Fourche" wrote in message

Lets say I wanted to buy a transmitter and antenna and set up one of
those Part 15 FCC
lower power stations. How much is the equipment going to cost me? I'm
not talking about
programming, only equipment.

Thanks!

The most expensive part will be a decent antenna that complies (loosely)
to the FCC regulations of no more than 10' of antenna total.. this if
you're discussing Part 15 AM.

My mistake. I'm talking about AM station. I was told several miles in
the day and maybe a mile
at night. How much for the equipment?

Very good. AM Part 15 stations are capable of going a lot farther. As for
equipment, you can get a Talking House transmitter for between $40-100
that will do very well. I have a couple guaranteed to work for $60 each,
but you can find them on ebay as well. Go for the latest models to make
them most compatible.

If you want something really good, look for a North Country AM88 or
similar (ask around on the rec.antiques.radio+phono NG).

Again, the most expenditure would be a decent, compliant antenna. These
can be purchased in kit form and are easy to assemble, but do cost between
$200-300 in some cases. They are MUCH better than your standard 10' wire,
though.

I talked with a guy a few days ago who is thinking about creating one of
these stations
near me. I told him I have a degree in communications and was wanting to
know if he needed
any "help." We talked about his station and he asked me for opinions on
what he should broadcast.
He wants to broadcast classic music and talk/news/weather. I did not tell
him this, but I assumed his station would have employees and I would be one
and be paid. I sure would not do this just to make him money. In our talk
and emails there has been not mention of me being paid. Do people who set up
these stations employ dj's and such?

Do a web stream. www.icecast.org

dave March 3rd 09 01:51 PM

How much for Part 15, FCC Certified Low Power Station?

Von Fourche wrote:
"cmdr buzz corey" wrote in message
On Mar 2, 9:20 pm, "Von Fourche" wrote:
"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

I think you will probably get a visit from the FCC if you go through
with it.

I'm talking about something like this:

http://www.radiobrownsburg.com/

http://www.radiobrownsburg.com/XRB1610-wmp.php

David Eduardo[_4_] March 3rd 09 08:05 PM

How much for Part 15, FCC Certified Low Power Station?

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Any music played over such a station for "public performance" is liable to
pay per-play royalties. You COULD get a nastygram from the
RIAA/ASCAP/BMI/SoundSource, but probably wouldn't.

Unless you are also streaming, there are no RIAA or Soundsource fees for any
form of terrestrial radio.

Brenda Ann March 3rd 09 08:24 PM

How much for Part 15, FCC Certified Low Power Station?

"dave" wrote in message
m...
If he can be heard on FM more than a half a block, tops, he's not Part 15
legal. I have a 35 watt transmitter and a 5/8 wave antenna that won't
cover more than about 3 miles (of course, there are stations every
200-600 KHz here, so there is no such thing as a clear frequency).

35 Watts on FM Broadcast is good for coverage to beyond the horizon.
That's a huge amount of power.

Not so much when you have one station 200 KHz below you and another 400 KHz
above you.. and that's the WIDEST space available.. :) Much of the FM dial
here in my area is a station on every channel.. my car radio may as well not
even have a scan feature.

dave March 3rd 09 10:17 PM

How much for Part 15, FCC Certified Low Power Station?

Brenda Ann wrote:
"dave" wrote in message
m...
If he can be heard on FM more than a half a block, tops, he's not Part 15
legal. I have a 35 watt transmitter and a 5/8 wave antenna that won't
cover more than about 3 miles (of course, there are stations every
200-600 KHz here, so there is no such thing as a clear frequency).

35 Watts on FM Broadcast is good for coverage to beyond the horizon.
That's a huge amount of power.

Not so much when you have one station 200 KHz below you and another 400 KHz
above you.. and that's the WIDEST space available.. :) Much of the FM dial
here in my area is a station on every channel.. my car radio may as well not
even have a scan feature.

Helps hide you from the authorities...

~ RHF March 3rd 09 11:04 PM

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

[...]

-
- http://www.radiobrandy.com/PART15AMANTENNA.html

Looks to be about as good as you can do
considering the Part 15 Regs ~ RHF

This 'Kit' by SStran appears to be 'legal'
and compliant to Part 15 Regs.
AMT3000 AM Radio Broadcast Transmitter Kit
http://www.sstran.com/
* Here is a Review of it by Jay Allen {RadioIntel}
http://www.radiointel.com/review-sstran.htm
* http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ120385363105
* LPB AM-2000 AM Radio Transmitter Part 15 LPAM
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ290299647229

You can try the DIY method found he

http://charliethompson.50megs.com/1610khz.htm