RadioBanter

-   -   Wellbrook ALA1530 next to a RF Systems DX1 Pro (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/144888-wellbrook-ala1530-next-rf-systems-dx1-pro.html)

John Plimmer July 1st 09 10:56 AM

Wellbrook ALA1530 next to a RF Systems DX1 Pro

The ALA1530 active antenna arrived on loan on the 30th June
The ALA is mounted on the same pole as the RF Systems DX1 Pro,
but about 1 m down, so
it is about 10m off the deck and is orientated N/S.
I have checked the continuity and the ALA1530 is working fine with
full
power at the head.

On LF the DX1 Pro hears things that are unheard on the ALA
e.g. 515 CW, MAJ Majuba is quite clear on the DX1 but not heard on the
ALA1530, and the same with various others.
252 LW Germany faint on the DX1 but unheard on the ALA
361 CW ASN Ascension clear on the DX1 but barely audible on the ALA
More or less the same on MW band - DX1 is much clearer and stronger
1050 MW Brazil quite clear on DX1 but unreadable on ALA

Then I worked the HF bands from 3 mhz up to 18 mhz
Here the DX1 remains the strongest and clearest, but the ALA also puts
in a
good performance.

RFI and noise suppression. I didn't notice that the ALA was quieter
noisewise than my DX1, nor does it suppress the harsh RFI I have here.
I did
spend a half hour with the help of Willie and Dawn rotating it in
various
directions, but it could not suppress the RFI noise.

I have always had the opinion that the DX1 Pro is a superior performer
as
I have had some outstanding catches over the years.
_________________________________

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

dave July 1st 09 01:53 PM

Bob Dobbs wrote:
John Plimmer wrote:
RFI and noise suppression. I didn't notice that the ALA was quieter
noisewise than my DX1, nor does it suppress the harsh RFI I have here.

I read your installation comments on the DX-1 where you indicated the
use of RG-213 and was wondering if LMR-400 with its superior shielding
would be worth a try in your admittedly noisy environment.
I used Belden RG-213 for quite awhile due to its renowned UV resistance
but just under a decade ago switched to the Times Microwave LMR-400 for
its similar size and better specs. I haven't been disappointed.
Note - the installation of standard PL-259 connectors is a little more
involved but well worth the extra time to do it right.

Try Davis RF BuryFlex. It's cheaper than LMR-400 and doesn't feed the
war machine.

http://www.davisrf.com/coax.php#attenuation

dave July 2nd 09 01:31 PM

Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:

Try Davis RF BuryFlex. It's cheaper than LMR-400 and doesn't feed the
war machine.

http://www.davisrf.com/coax.php#attenuation

At the time I got it I wasn't aware of any 'war machine' connection,
maybe you could elaborate? I got it mostly because it fared better than
Belden 9913 in specs and was available locally at an end of spool price.
I only needed a 36 foot run to feed a Diamond V2000A, now replaced by
their DP-GH62, and I was able to get about 80 feet at the time cheaper
than RG-8.

TMS has been instrumental in the development of military specifications,
including MIL-C-17 for coaxial cables. Times is the leading source of
MIL-C-17 qualified products, holding far more QPL's (Qualified Product
Listings) than any other manufacturer in the world. Times also helped
the US Navy write the MIL-T-81490 Transmission Line Specification, and
is qualified to supply microwave transmission lines that meet
MIL-T-81490 and MIL-C-87104 (US Air Force) requirements. These are the
specifications that define harsh military airborne environments that
Electronic Warfare transmission lines must perform in, year after year.

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/about/

[email protected][_2_] July 2nd 09 08:37 PM

On Jul 1, 2:56*am, John Plimmer wrote:
[...]

I use the ALA100 with my own loop. You can get more aperture by
rolling your own loop, and you save a bit of money. Also, you can make
it into a portable system. The ALA100 is a fantastic product with one
big bug, namely the use of a BNC on a device that could be used
outdoors. [You need to put it in a NEMA box for permanent outdoor use.
Now granted, I've bought lots of pro-gear that expects NEMA box use a
well, i.e. the assume you are doing system integration.] Also note
that the Wellbrook loops are not shielded. They interact with whatever
metal is nearby.

Note that the Wellbrook 1530 loop isn't big enough for LW. They might
say it is, but trust me, it isn't. Using the ALA100, it doesn't begin
to really kick ass until you have about 25ft of wire on it. I've used
40ft loops in the boonies.

I've been testing out my antenna using HFDL, which gives you position
data on the transmitting source.
http://www.lazygranch.com/temp/pchfd...07012009_1.jpg
http://www.lazygranch.com/temp/pchfd...07012009_2.jpg
This is 7000 statute miles of data reception, a tougher criteria than
CW or voice. The noise rejection of the Wellbrook design helps under
these conditions.

I've done side by side comparisons with the KIWA loop. The KIWA isn't
as good as my ALA100 setup IF (big if) you use a good radio. The KIWA
is filtered, so it often covers up for the lack of filtering in your
receiver.

dave July 2nd 09 08:41 PM

Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:
[...]

Another POV might be that TMS had taken advantage of the harsh
environment of wartime scenarios to strive for an engineering answer.
I doubt the war mongers are going to be more belligerent because of
advanced technical characteristics of transmission lines.
"Hey we got good coax, now lets go kick some ass"
Well, maybe that could be a component of Bush-think but TMS has been
affiliated with high demand environment challenges before his cabal of
chicken hawks came into power.
In any case their commercial product is among the best and Davis-Orion
Wiregroup has most likely benefitted from some of the same research.
FWIW: I don't represent TMS nor have any vested interest in the
promotion of their product line, but I do enjoy good discussion.

War is bad, Mmm-Kay?

dave July 2nd 09 08:46 PM

wrote:

I've been testing out my antenna using HFDL, which gives you position
data on the transmitting source.
http://www.lazygranch.com/temp/pchfd...07012009_1.jpg
http://www.lazygranch.com/temp/pchfd...07012009_2.jpg
This is 7000 statute miles of data reception, a tougher criteria than
CW or voice. The noise rejection of the Wellbrook design helps under
these conditions.

I've done side by side comparisons with the KIWA loop. The KIWA isn't
as good as my ALA100 setup IF (big if) you use a good radio. The KIWA
is filtered, so it often covers up for the lack of filtering in your
receiver.

7,000 miles digital on 50 Watts?

http://psk.gladstonefamily.net/pskmap.html

[email protected] July 3rd 09 02:23 AM

Wellbrook ALA1530 next to a RF Systems DX1 Pro

Vacuum tube shaped USB sound card.
www.techchee.com

You orts to gitcha one of those.
Vacuum Tubes, the auld days of Radio.

Speakin of Auld Days, have you ever read about the Alldays and Onions
Cars? I have, over fifty years ago.If you go to Pebble Beach, you might
see one of those cars over there.
cuhulin

metoo July 3rd 09 03:59 AM

Wellbrook ALA1530 next to a RF Systems DX1 Pro

Allah me, why not take Allah me.
Allah want for Christmas is my two front teeth.
Allah board!

Telamon July 3rd 09 04:24 AM

Wellbrook ALA1530 next to a RF Systems DX1 Pro

In article ,
dave wrote:

Bob Dobbs wrote:
John Plimmer wrote:
RFI and noise suppression. I didn't notice that the ALA was quieter
noisewise than my DX1, nor does it suppress the harsh RFI I have here.

I read your installation comments on the DX-1 where you indicated the
use of RG-213 and was wondering if LMR-400 with its superior shielding
would be worth a try in your admittedly noisy environment.
I used Belden RG-213 for quite awhile due to its renowned UV resistance
but just under a decade ago switched to the Times Microwave LMR-400 for
its similar size and better specs. I haven't been disappointed.
Note - the installation of standard PL-259 connectors is a little more
involved but well worth the extra time to do it right.

Try Davis RF BuryFlex. It's cheaper than LMR-400 and doesn't feed the
war machine.

http://www.davisrf.com/coax.php#attenuation

What? You don't want me to eat?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon July 3rd 09 04:34 AM

Wellbrook ALA1530 next to a RF Systems DX1 Pro

In article 4a4cf926.3080093@chupacabra,
Bob Dobbs wrote:

dave wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:

[...]

You don't want something that flies in the air or in space to come down
prematurely whether it is an 747 or a F16. Marine environments are also
tough.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California