RadioBanter

-   -   Antenna Options - Way Too Many!!! Help Needed Please (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/145746-antenna-options-way-too-many-help-needed-please.html)

Brian Anasta August 3rd 09 10:38 AM

Antenna Options - Way Too Many!!! Help Needed Please

Hi again Guys,

In conjunction with my previous query (thanks so much too for the
emails guys, the info provided is proving extremely useful in terms of
which radio to purchase) the question of WHICH antenna to hook up to
the Kaito (IF that is the unit I decide upon) is somewhat baffling
considering the huge variety of antennas out there. At the moment, I
have my heart set on either an external outdoor wire antenna or an
active antenna to give me greater capabilities in terms of listening
to more obscure broadcasts. Now what I am needing to know is if any of
you guys have had any experience with the McKay Dymek, Datong or MFJ
range of antennas? In particular, I am very much considering the
MFJ-1020B Active Antenna, as from reports I have read, this particular
model is not only very reliable in terms of build quality, but also
because it has a range of between 300KHz to 30MHz, which if I am
correct, would allow me access to international short-wave as well as
HF bands. Please correct me if I am incorrect on this assumption guys.
Also, would anyone have any info on whether this particular model unit
would work as an amp/pre-selector too?

Thanks so much everyone for your time and advice,
Brian Anasta

~ RHF August 3rd 09 07:39 PM

Antenna Options - Way Too Many!!! Help Needed Please

On Aug 3, 2:38*am, Brian Anasta wrote:
- Hi again Guys,
-
- In conjunction with my previous query (thanks so much too for the
- emails guys, the info provided is proving extremely useful in terms
of
- which radio to purchase) the question of WHICH antenna to hook up to
- the Kaito (IF that is the unit I decide upon) is somewhat baffling
- considering the huge variety of antennas out there.

BA - Most 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios
can't take to big {long} of an Antenna or Active
{Amplified} Antennas.

- At the moment, I
- have my heart set on either an external outdoor wire antenna or an
- active antenna to give me greater capabilities in terms of listening
- to more obscure broadcasts.

BA - For 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios a
Moderate Length Antenna* is generally advised.
* Note Moderate Length Antenna is around a
24~36 Foot piece of Wire.
+ Ground Rod
+ Matching Transformer [MLB]
+ Coax Cable feed-in-line

- Now what I am needing to know is if any of
- you guys have had any experience with the McKay Dymek, Datong or MFJ
- range of antennas? In particular,
- I am very much considering the
MFJ-1020B Active Antenna, as from reports I have read, this particular
model is not only very reliable in terms of build quality, but also
because it has a range of between 300KHz to 30MHz, which if I am
correct, would allow me access to international short-wave as well as
HF bands. Please correct me if I am incorrect on this assumption guys.
Also, would anyone have any info on whether this particular model unit
would work as an amp/pre-selector too?

Thanks so much everyone for your time and advice,
Brian Anasta

BA,

Versus the MFJ-1020B Active Antenna -consider-
http://universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1131.html
LF Engineering H800 Skymatch Active Antenna
-why- An "Outside/Outdoor" Active Antenna is
generally preferred to an 'Indoor' Active Antenna
because in most locations most of the time it
will provide clearer strong signals with less noise.
-result- Better Signal-to-Noise (S/N) Ratio from
the Antenna Output to the Radio's Antenna Input.

Review : LF Engineering H800 Skymatch Active Antenna
http://brneurosci.org/antenna-lfh800.html

LF Engineering H-800 Skymatch Active Antenna
http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT15.html
Covers : Longwave, AM/Mediumwave/BCB
and Shortwave Bands
http://www.lfengineering.com/products.htm
Range : 10 kHz through 50 MHz
http://www.lfengineering.com/pdf/H800inst.pdf

Bushcraftgregg August 4th 09 08:30 AM

Antenna Options - Way Too Many!!! Help Needed Please

On Aug 3, 5:27*pm, SC Dxing wrote:
This sounds bland but the reason there are so many antenna solutions
is because in most cases, the antenna isn't the problem. It's
interference or obstacles or the radio itself. An example is the
longer the antenna, it will both pick up signals better and all kinds
of noise better also. *Placement of the radio and antenna is the key.
Sometimes running a insulated coax cable from your radio to an antenna
outside might help.

Experiment like crazy. I found the best solution for me is to simply
run about 30 foot of cable speaker wire out of my door across the
yard.

Cheers!!

That is basically the same thing I did. I used some
type of Belden low loss coax. Ran it roughly 40-45ft.
away from the house.

Something else that will help along with what they
have already told you Brian, is try to get that antenna
as high as you can.

That solved the only problem that I originally had
with my sloper, once I got it pretty high, all interference went away.
Good luck and have fun
experimenting.

LarbGai August 4th 09 10:46 AM

On Aug 4, 7:30*pm, Bushcraftgregg wrote:

That is basically the same thing I did. I used some
type of Belden low loss coax. Ran it roughly 40-45ft.
away from the house.

Something else that will help along with what they
have already told you Brian, is try to get that antenna
as high as you can.

That solved the only problem that I originally had
with my sloper, once I got it pretty high, all interference went away.
Good luck and have fun
experimenting.

******* Errrrrr Greg, you may want to check out our Brians previous
posts in SCT and knives.

He's a real slippery character, but a lot of fun.

;-)

Brian Anasta August 4th 09 11:19 AM

On Aug 4, 4:39 am, "~ RHF" wrote:

BA - Most 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios
can't take to big {long} of an Antenna or Active
{Amplified} Antennas.

Versus the MFJ-1020B Active Antenna -consider-http://universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1131.html
LF Engineering H800 Skymatch Active Antenna
-why- An "Outside/Outdoor" Active Antenna is
generally preferred to an 'Indoor' Active Antenna
because in most locations most of the time it
will provide clearer strong signals with less noise.
-result- Better Signal-to-Noise (S/N) Ratio from
the Antenna Output to the Radio's Antenna Input.

Dear RHF, SC Dxing and Bushcraftgregg,

Guys thank you so much for the extensive information you have
provided. I have spent a good part of this afternoon reading over your
posts several times to try and get my head around everything you have
all mentioned. RHF, I took particular notice of your comments,
particularly as you gave a wonderful overview and list of links
pertaining to both the pros and cons of external wire antennas as well
as the active antenna variety. Now, after checking on several of the
links provided, AS well as grabbing myself a couple of books from the
local library (the superb Shortwave Listening Guide Book, authored by
Harry Helms is a must have for beginners I believe) this morning, I
have several queries. Firstly, I am concerned that if I settle on the
active antenna, AM I at risk of picking up much more noise and
interference? Secondly, if I instead choose the external wire type of
antenna, isn't there a much greater chance of problems and issues due
to extensive overhead high voltage powerlines in my area? The more I
read, the more confused I become....arghhhh heh.

Thanks so much guys and sorry for being a painful newbie at all this,
Brian Anasta

Krypsis August 4th 09 12:30 PM

Brian Anasta wrote:
On Aug 4, 4:39 am, "~ RHF" wrote:
[...]

Too right Brian. I'm considering dragging my old Yaesu FRG7700 out of
mothballs and firing it up with a longwire connected. I have a long
block of land away from those nasty power lines and will get a really
good signal here. I used to use a Yaesu FRA7700 active antenna with it.
It was OK on the higher frequency bands but lacked a bit at the lower
end of the spectrum. It probably needs retrimming.

I wouldn't mind getting hold of a Yaesu FRG8800 in good condition as
they can interface with my computer here.

Krypsis

Brian Anasta August 4th 09 12:47 PM

On Aug 4, 9:30 pm, Krypsis wrote:

Too right Brian. I'm considering dragging my old Yaesu FRG7700 out of
mothballs and firing it up with a longwire connected. I have a long
block of land away from those nasty power lines and will get a really
good signal here. I used to use a Yaesu FRA7700 active antenna with it.
It was OK on the higher frequency bands but lacked a bit at the lower
end of the spectrum. It probably needs retrimming.

I wouldn't mind getting hold of a Yaesu FRG8800 in good condition as
they can interface with my computer here.

Krypsis

Hey Krypsis,

I must admit I don't know too much about the Yaesu models, although on
one website I found it was mentioned this brand is usually very good
in terms of SSB reception, due in large to the stock filters. Just
wondering Krypsis, do you ever experience any problems with the RX on
the low bands on the 7700? I have heard that can be an issue with the
Yaesu models, but as you sorta mentioned, there will probably be fewer
issues with the later model FRG8800.

Kind regards,
Brian

dave August 4th 09 01:50 PM

Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On Aug 3, 5:27 pm, SC Dxing wrote:
[...]

You need a transformer to match the High Z random wire to the Low Z
cable at most frequencies. Otherwise you will lose most of the signal
(which may reduce overloading a cheap receiver). It's been my
experience that a good antenna needs a good radio.

dave August 4th 09 01:52 PM

Brian Anasta wrote:
On Aug 4, 4:39 am, "~ RHF" wrote:
[...]

My MFJ-1024 works very well. I understand they will overload in Europe
and the N. Am. east, but way out west this thing works great!

~ RHF August 4th 09 06:51 PM

On Aug 4, 3:19*am, Brian Anasta wrote:
On Aug 4, 4:39 am, "~ RHF" wrote:

[...]

Yes Active Antennas can be Noisy so you usually
have to do two things to get them to preform well :

1 - Placement / Location
a - Find a Location above the Peak of your Roof
by 5~10 Feet that places the Vertical Antenna
Element away from the envelop of Noise that may
surround your House.
b - Find a Location in your Backyard 15~25 Feet
away from the envelop of Noise that may surround
your House.

2 - Grounding - Most Active Antenna need to be
well Grounded via the Support and Coax Cables
using a 21 Foot piece of free-stand 'metal' Top-Rail
and an 8 Foot Ground Rod at its Base
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...d9abcf73ef3971

- Secondly, if *I instead choose the external wire type of
- antenna, isn't there a much greater chance of problems and issues
due
- to extensive overhead high voltage powerlines in my area? The more I
- read, the more confused I become....arghhhh heh.

Yes there is the 'potential' for Power Line Noise
pick-up with an backyard Random Wire Antenna.

The Far-End-Fed Shortwave Listener's (SWLs)
Inverted "L" Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...cfc6b9cb2447c0
1 - Inverted "L" Antenna
2 - Ground Rod at the base of the Antenna
3 - Matching Transformer at the base of the Antenna
4 - Coax Cable feed-in-line from the base of
the Antenna into the Radio Shack

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF