RadioBanter

-   -   Will SW radios become obsolete? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/148140-will-sw-radios-become-obsolete.html)

dxAce November 22nd 09 11:46 PM

Will SW radios become obsolete?

dave wrote:

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , dxAce
writes

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

Nah, always something of interest out there.

Not if insidious growth of BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) or PLT
(Power Line Telecommunications) continues unchecked.

The ARRL is representing some of us in this matter.

Dream on...

[email protected] November 22nd 09 11:47 PM

Will SW radios become obsolete?

Limeys need to save themselves from Limey govt,,, according to some
articles at www.rense.com
In World War Two, a lot of them wimmins in UK got impregnated.

Up next on the ion TV channel at 6:00 PM, Waterworld movie.
cuhulin

dave November 22nd 09 11:48 PM

Will SW radios become obsolete?

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , dxAce
writes

dxAce November 22nd 09 11:48 PM

Will SW radios become obsolete?

dave wrote:

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , dxAce
writes

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

Nah, always something of interest out there.

Not if insidious growth of BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) or PLT
(Power Line Telecommunications) continues unchecked.

The ARRL is representing some of us in this matter.

You no-coders are not intelligent enough for anyone to represent you, more
than likely they'll take your money before they deport you, you drug addled
fool!

dxace1 November 23rd 09 12:48 AM

As someone who has worked in the international broadcasting field for more than 30 years, it's my opinion that shortwave, used for international broadcasting, will indeed pass away.

It's certainly no joy for me to say that, as I was one of those group of kids who grew up with SW in his veins -- and in fact, I still have the addiction even in these days of rapid decline for SW.

But there is just no way that ANYONE in coming years will choose SW over other broadcast media. And the promise of DRM has faded as well.

As a Perseus owner, I have to say that even SDR (Software Defined Radios), in so far as they are used to receive shortwave broadcasts, are already becoming pretty much useless given rapidly declining number of broadcasts available -- perhaps Amateur Radio Operators and intelligence agencies will continue to find SDR useful.

I predict it will pretty much be WIFI/Internet delivery, leaving those of us who cut our teeth with DX-160's, SONYs and Hammarlunds, riding what remains of SWBC until the end.

Sorry to be such a downer, but that's the reality. On the bright side, just think of how many great radios will be available for a song!

Gregg November 23rd 09 01:51 AM

On Nov 22, 9:23*am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

TMT

I doubt it, at least not in my lifetime.

dxAce November 23rd 09 08:25 AM

Bob Dobbs wrote:

dxace1 wrote:
On the bright side,
just think of how many great radios will be available for a song!

How 'great' is a box that lights up, makes static sounds, and little else?

Bob, it would be somewhat of an improvement for you, would it not?

dxAce November 23rd 09 08:29 AM

Will SW radios become obsolete?

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , dxAce
writes

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , dxAce
writes

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

Nah, always something of interest out there.

Not if insidious growth of BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) or PLT
(Power Line Telecommunications) continues unchecked.

You want us to come over and save you yet again?

It may indeed become necessary. A short spell of your 'Shock and Awe'
might help us focus on the realities of life.

I'd focus first on deporting clown 'tards, as they don't seem to adapt well to
living on a moist green island, they rather prefer a more dry granular material
beneath their feet.

Ian Jackson[_2_] November 23rd 09 08:30 AM

Will SW radios become obsolete?

In message , dxAce
writes

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , dxAce
writes

--
Ian

Ian Jackson[_2_] November 23rd 09 08:32 AM

Will SW radios become obsolete?

In message , dave
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , dxAce
writes

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

Nah, always something of interest out there.

Not if insidious growth of BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) or PLT
(Power Line Telecommunications) continues unchecked.

The ARRL is representing some of us in this matter.

The RSGB is representing ALL of us on this matter.
--
Ian