RadioBanter

-   -   [OT] Do I gotta pay first? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/150435-%5Bot%5D-do-i-gotta-pay-first.html)

notbob March 22nd 10 07:47 PM

[OT] Do I gotta pay first?

I registered with eham.net 10 days ago and I'm still not allowed to
post on their forums. Something about "a few hours or a day or two"
delay. I notice an interjection of a whole page about subscribing and
sending money prior being able to even access the delay notice. Is
this SOP and am I wasting my time waiting for access until I cough up
some jingles?

nb

Mark S. Holden March 22nd 10 09:25 PM

[OT] Do I gotta pay first?

notbob wrote:
I registered with eham.net 10 days ago and I'm still not allowed to
post on their forums. Something about "a few hours or a day or two"
delay. I notice an interjection of a whole page about subscribing and
sending money prior being able to even access the delay notice. Is
this SOP and am I wasting my time waiting for access until I cough up
some jingles?

nb

No, but it could be whoever approves new members is on vacation or away
from the computer.

If you don't pay, you'll periodically get a nag screen saying "Hey,
please subscribe" but if you hit refresh, you'll get the page you asked for.

If you're not a ham, that may slow down the process too. A follow up
might help. Mentioning you're interested in becoming a ham and are
looking for information wouldn't hurt.

dave March 23rd 10 02:39 PM

[OT] Do I gotta pay first?

Mark S. Holden wrote:
notbob wrote:
I registered with eham.net 10 days ago and I'm still not allowed to
post on their forums. Something about "a few hours or a day or two"
delay. I notice an interjection of a whole page about subscribing and
sending money prior being able to even access the delay notice. Is
this SOP and am I wasting my time waiting for access until I cough up
some jingles?

nb

No, but it could be whoever approves new members is on vacation or away
from the computer.

If you don't pay, you'll periodically get a nag screen saying "Hey,
please subscribe" but if you hit refresh, you'll get the page you asked
for.

If you're not a ham, that may slow down the process too. A follow up
might help. Mentioning you're interested in becoming a ham and are
looking for information wouldn't hurt.

I don't think you're allowed to reply to new adverts if you aren't a
paying member.

Mark S. Holden March 23rd 10 03:17 PM

[OT] Do I gotta pay first?

dave wrote:
Mark S. Holden wrote:
notbob wrote:
[...]

They say paying members are the only ones who can see a new ad for the
first 24 hours. The search engine may circumvent this - not sure.